SPDIF problems ....

A

alphawave

Audioholic Intern
I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard and I have run an optical toslink to an AVR (Anthem MRX500). I want to bypass the soundcard DAC sound that I don't end up with a DA / AD / DA scenario. I am running a 2.1 speaker configuration from the AVR.

I have set windows (8) to use SPDIF by default.

I have first tried running Foobar Output as DS SPDIF (Creative). I get some crashes and some bad pops and other nasties when playing files.

So, I thought I should try WASAPI. When I set Ouput to WASAPI SPDIF (Creative) I get the following playback error: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 6 channels

The AVR and card support 24 bit (which I have set in the Foobar Output options) but I've also had the same error if I set it to 16 bit.

I get this on lots of channels. I'm puzzled (even more so at the 6 channel reference!). Can anyone help please?

EDIT: I'm also having crashes with VLC too - a movie will play fine for a while and then if I pause and restart, every now and again the picture will freeze. Something is definitely not right but I can't put my finger on it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I gave up on creative and their constant messing up with digital out port. Does your motherboard has spdif out ? If so - just use it - there is no need for creative card nor it makes any difference in digital connection

A

alphawave

Audioholic Intern
Good thinking. Just spent 15 mins installing latest mobo audio drivers and swapping out spdif to the mobo out. Unfortunately, same error in foobar (something must be screwed somewhere to get this 6ch error) :confused:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Besides Foobar , have you tried to play it with VLC Player? - I have a similar WAV file with DTS in it and VLC plays it without problems.
from here:
DTS WAV issue: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format - Hydrogenaudio Forums

You need to remove foo_input_dts or the DTS in the wav gets decoded. You also need to make sure you are using the WASAPI output and have Windows and foobar2000 volumes at maximum level. ReplayGain and DPSs must not alter the loudness either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis