Soundbar Recommendations

B

Blindf8th

Enthusiast
Now that my dreams have been shattered for ever having any 5.1 setup in my new home, I'm searching for the best possible sound bar I can find. The location will be where the TV is in the living room pic below. I'm hoping to find answers to the following questions...

1. Best soundbar recommendation(s)
2. Do soundbars mean I no longer need my AV receiver?

Thanks again to everyone for there input. Great site...

Blind

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I dont think a lot of people here have listened to many sound bars, since I fell for you I put this list together....

may get you started..

Bowers and wilkons panorama $1770

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY MYTHOS XTR-SSA3 $800 or less

KEF HTF8003 $600 or so..

For surrounds, any will work, if you go def tech get there slim surrounds, kef also makes small surrounds as does bw but you can mix and match the surrounds...

Now bose, boston acoustic, energy, klipsch, yamaha, harmon, lg, samsung, also make them but if I were you I would be between the 3 I listed above...

Atlantic Technology PB 235 self powered I heard it didnt enjoy it comes with muddy bass making system though...

I would stay away from powered and more than 3 channel units...

B

Blindf8th

Enthusiast
I dont think a lot of people here have listened to many sound bars, since I fell for you I put this list together....

may get you started..

Bowers and wilkons panorama $1770

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY MYTHOS XTR-SSA3 $800 or less

KEF HTF8003 $600 or so..

For surrounds, any will work, if you go def tech get there slim surrounds, kef also makes small surrounds as does bw but you can mix and match the surrounds...

Now bose, boston acoustic, energy, klipsch, yamaha, harmon, lg, samsung, also make them but if I were you I would be between the 3 I listed above...

Atlantic Technology PB 235 self powered I heard it didnt enjoy it comes with muddy bass making system though...

I would stay away from powered and more than 3 channel units...

For powered I really like the Panarama 2 or MartinLogan Motion Vision. Gonna go read up on the non-powered options now. I guess if I went non-powered that could mean I can leverage two rear mounts for surround? Does that sound correct as I thought soundbars whole purpose is to do everything?

I'll let you know how it works out for me. I guess in the end the more you can separate out the components the better the quality in most instances...

Blind

Last edited:
B

Blindf8th

Enthusiast
I would add the Definitive Technology Solo Cinema. It has plenty of power, a low-profile 8" sub, plus the ability to playback both Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, which is great for a soundbar. It's also a little less pricey than either the B&W Panorama or the Panorama 2 (just out).

Definitive Technology - SoloCinema XTR 5.1-Channel Soundbar System with Wireless Subwoofer - SOLOCINEMA XTR SYSTEM
To have Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio in a soundbar is impressive and I've only been reading on this stuff for an hour or two.

With that setup, would I need or not need to add rears? This is the area of my confusion. I think I can decide between powered and not, but not sure quite yet when to add rears and when not too.

Thanks for this reference reading on it now.

Blind

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I like zvox. I've heard a number of different zvox units. I think they sound pretty good and the price is reasonable.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
To have Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio in a soundbar is impressive and I've only been reading on this stuff for an hour or two.

With that setup, would I need or not need to add rears? This is the area of my confusion. I think I can decide between powered and not, but not sure quite yet when to add rears and when not too.

Thanks for this reference reading on it now.

Blind
I recommend trying the bar as-is, and see how good the imaging and soundstage are.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis