Soundbar plus TV with no outs?

R

Rev

Audiophyte
So im working on a setup for my bedroom, and I kinda think i know what to do but not really.

I basically want to put in a soundbar, but the primary issue is my TV has no optical or audio outputs at all.

So is the best option to get a soundbar with two optical jacks, and hookup one to the ps3 and one to the cable box?

And if i do this, is it going to be a huge pain in the *** to control the volume?

Would it be a better idea to get a cheap receiver and 2 speakers and use the opticals on that?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I think that your plan is a good one. If you can't find a soundbar that you like with two optical inputs, you can go the receiver route or get an SPDIF switch. I don't know why it would be a pain to control the volume. If you're asking if the PS3 and cable box will have different volume levels on their digital streams, then maybe - but that will be true whether you use a soundbar or receiver.

Btw, which TV do you have? Some will have headphone jacks for audio output, but they aren't always easy to spot.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I really like zvox soundbars: they have 2 digital inputs (one coax, one to slink) (plus analog inputs), they are well made, they sound good, and they have excellent customer service. Plus they have a lot of really smart features. The sound bar can be set to learn the volume commands from your TV remote and it has some technological tricks to deal with commercials that are too loud and dialog which isn't loud enough. Most of the zvox units are designed to act as a base for your TV which is a good place to put a soundbar (rather than in front).

I've owned 2 of them and as much as I like my HT set up, I sometimes think I ought to get another and retire the remotes to some recycling bin . . . .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis