W

wildxplora

Audiophyte
Ok, here's the story. I have an apt in NYC, so yep its small, and a full a/v set up is not realistic.

What I am looking for is two Soundbar systems, I would prefer if they both are from the same manufacturer. One top of the line Soundbar system for a Samsung 8500 plasma 60 inch. Also I need another Soundbar system for a Samsung 6400 LED 40 inch.

But here is the key, for the smaller TV the sound bar cannot be longer than 36.75 inches in length, due to layout constraints. Also both need to be powered sound bar units. So far I have looked at systems from Harman Kardon, Canton, KEF, Paradigm, just to name a few. So everyone what would you all recommend?
These will mostly be used for movies and TV, and not for streaming music. Price is not a major issue, but I don't want to go the custom route for these two. Any help/advice would be appreciated. So what is the best sounding units, for these two sets? Would prefer if they came from the same company, but that's not a deal break, just a preference.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have any budgetary restrictions?
Would you want one of the Soundbars with a sub? Or a soundbar with decent (for SB) bass built-in.

However, I think Yamaha offers a pretty wide range of product and usually does a good gob with design and build quality. They are also one of few companies that use a remote with real buttons and AAA batteries as opposed to the "thin plastic bubble" buttons with watch batteries that many use.
Their product with built-in sub do not compete with real subs, but they do put out pretty good bass for a stand-alone soundbar.

In case you did not see, Accessories4less has a pretty good offering from companies I respect:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/soundbars/speakers/soundbars/1.html

W

wildxplora

Audiophyte
KEW-
Thanks for your response.

Ok, as for your question about budgetary restriction, no restrictions, with the exception that I do not want to go the custom made route.

As for your next question, yes I am looking for a Soundbar with a stand alone subwoofer. Not looking at an all in one unit.

I am leaning at the moment to systems from Canton and Harman Kardon. Though at the moment my feeling is to go with a manufacturer that is a true speaker manufacturer, hence why I was leaning towards Canton. Biggest problem is trying to hear these systems, and really comparing the sound, since a lot of dealers don't necessarly carry the specific systems I am looking for.

The site you listed I had not seen before and sounds like a decent place to pick up both units at a good price. Have you purchased from them before? Any feedback from others would definitely help. Thanks for the help.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on physical constraints, I think you could do worse than Sonos Playbar soundbar and matching sub. Sonos knows a thing or two about music and wireless. Honestly none of the brands mentioned above are bad.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am leaning at the moment to systems from Canton and Harman Kardon. Though at the moment my feeling is to go with a manufacturer that is a true speaker manufacturer, hence why I was leaning towards Canton. Biggest problem is trying to hear these systems, and really comparing the sound, since a lot of dealers don't necessarly carry the specific systems I am looking for.

The site you listed I had not seen before and sounds like a decent place to pick up both units at a good price. Have you purchased from them before? Any feedback from others would definitely help. Thanks for the help.
Harman Kardon does do speakers - they own JBL, Infinity and Revel.
They will draw from the likes of Infinity or JBL to engineer their brand
name products.

Canton is also a good popular brand.

AC4L is a good company, and many of us have bought from them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ditto what Zieglj said.
A4L sells new and refurb products. As far as I have seen, all refurbs are done at the respective manufacturer's facility, which is very important, IMHO. If considering a refurb, check for warranties - sometimes a refurb will have same warranties as new, others much shorter.
I have bought several Marantz and Denon units from them. I like that they specialize in audio and HT gear - if you call them they are not totally clueless.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis