M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Smoke, no need to spend lots of $ on a tripod, I don't believe you will be taking any critical measurements requiring a tripod over $100, Walmart and Amazon have some very nice tipods with variable extensions from 10"- 60" or more for around $25, I do reco one though, makes things a lot more convenient and accurate. I got a lot of use out the Bass Mekanic CD, it may not be for you though, you have to be careful. You can download a few tracks from the CD and see what you think before purchasing the CD. This was reco'd to me, I think it is an invaluable tool to have for your entire setup, every aspect of what to listen for and improve upon.
Various Artists - Ultimate Demonstration Disc

Cheers Jeff
Versus the cost of a decent meter, 100 isn't really bad, but, yeah, can go buy chinese junk at walmart I guess. I'm not big on the throw away society.

Bass Mekanik doesn't offer anything useful for integrating your mains. It has signal sweeps, but, so do a lot better setup discs. It's car audio bump trunk stuff. Like overly thick synthesized bass that is basically just noise. It's not mastered the way most recorded media is, so it's not really useful even in that respect. For cheap kicks, sure go for it, but, it's not a go to bass setup disc imo.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
3:10 to Yuma was what I was thinking of! Great gun shots. Will show off if you have serious midrange punch. Shots should feel like they hit your chest.

Sweet! That movie will be added to the Netflix list lol. I'm also thinking war of the worlds, saving private Ryan, maybe transformers?

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Yes ill get a tripod, can't see myself spending $100 dollars for one though. It's something that may get used every so often. Now if I used it on a daily basis that would be a different story. As far as bass mechanik cd it will just be used for some ridiculous fun bass ;)... Do you guys think the klipsch will be an ok match for the xv15 or should I look into a upgrade? I'm not at all displeased with the klipsch. But I still wouldn't mind even crisper, clearer, amazing sound. But hey who on this forum isn't? Lol

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Do you guys think the klipsch will be an ok match for the xv15 or should I look into a upgrade?
You don't really have to match your speakers to your sub like you'd want to match your center speaker to your mains. If you've got a price range in mind though, I imagine we could shoot out some options that you could check out. Also might help to know a little more about your room.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Soooo 3:10 to Yuma will be added to Netflix for sure lol, I'm thinking also like saving private Ryan, war of the worlds, maybe transformers??

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Do you guys think the klipsch will be an ok match for the xv15 or should I look into a upgrade? I'm not at all displeased with the klipsch. But I still wouldn't mind even crisper, clearer, amazing sound. But hey who on this forum isn't? Lol
Nod. Klipsch is good depending on your price range. I'd say up from there I would save until your able to get something that is a dramatic difference. Cost doesn't equate to quality, but there does seem to be a minimum barrier of entry to get commercial output cleanly (and also assumes you want to go there).

I think the best value right now are JTR 8HTs:
JTR Speakers |  Single 8HT

With less than 600 watts per channel at 8 ohms are they capable of reference level at pretty good distances.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Soooo 3:10 to Yuma will be added to Netflix for sure lol, I'm thinking also like saving private Ryan, war of the worlds, maybe transformers??
Terminator Salvation is awesome. Still my show off blu-ray. Highly recommended. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tron Legacy, Prometheus, Dark Knight Rises and one of my favorites for audio: Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Max Payne, Up, Rratatouille, Despicable Me, they all rock.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Nod. Klipsch is good depending on your price range. I'd say up from there I would save until your able to get something that is a dramatic difference. Cost doesn't equate to quality, but there does seem to be a minimum barrier of entry to get commercial output cleanly (and also assumes you want to go there).

I think the best value right now are JTR 8HTs:
JTR SpeakersÂ*|Â* Single 8HT

With less than 600 watts per channel at 8 ohms are they capable of reference level at pretty good distances.

Wow!!! That's a midrange? Bet they sound incredible... Ya ill have to build money for sure because ill have to have a amp to drive them too. Thanks for the recomendation

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Tron Legacy, Prometheus, Dark Knight Rises and one of my favorites for audio: Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Max Payne, Up, Rratatouille, Despicable Me, they all rock.

Thank u, well I have the dark night rises on blu-ray already so that's a good thing :)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Terminator Salvation is awesome. Still my show off blu-ray. Highly recommended. :)
I have to agree with you there, but I guess I have to throw it away now since I got it at Walmart...THROW AWAY SOCIETY:rolleyes:
Hey Smoke, I've used my $30 tripod at least fifty times now and no matter what I do I still get some pretty accurate and consistent readings on my $50 SPL meter. Well excuse me my friend, I hear some "noise" coming from my LR or is it from my car trunk.:eek: Seriously though, the XV15 may make what you already have sound quite appealing of push you towards something preferrable, just get things dialed in a bit with a meter on a tripod and go from there, if you want to keep the accessories after the measurements, IT's OK, you may need them again:)
Cheers Jeff

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
I have to agree with you there, but I guess I have to throw it away now since I got it at Walmart...THROW AWAY SOCIETY:rolleyes:
Hey Smoke, I've used my $30 tripod at least fifty times now and no matter what I do I still get some pretty accurate and consistent readings on my $50 SPL meter. Well excuse me my friend, I hear some "noise" coming from my LR or is it from my car trunk.:eek: Seriously though, the XV15 may make what you already have sound quite appealing of push you towards something preferrable, just get things dialed in a bit with a meter on a tripod and go from there, if you want to keep the accessories after the measurements, IT's OK, you may need them again:)
Cheers Jeff[/QUOT

Ya I think ill be happy with the xv15 vs the Dayton I've been comparing the 2 and I think I'm going to be impressed... And also thank u for the recomendation on the xv15 I wouldn't have known which way to go on a sub now that I research extensively I don't think I couldn't get any better for the price thanks alot:) .... Oh and I'm going to have to return alot of my DVDs because I think I might have to throw then away because I bought them at wal-Mart ;)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Cheers Jeff[/QUOT

Ya I think ill be happy with the xv15 vs the Dayton I've been comparing the 2 and I think I'm going to be impressed... And also thank u for the recomendation on the xv15 I wouldn't have known which way to go on a sub now that I research extensively I don't think I couldn't get any better for the price thanks alot:) .... Oh and I'm going to have to return alot of my DVDs because I think I might have to throw then away because I bought them at wal-Mart ;)
You are quite welcome my friend, the XV15 will bring many years of enjoyment, performance to price ratio the PSA subs are hard to beat, the only one I haven't had the pleasure to hear is the XV30, I've opened up a rear section of my HT room and have been talking with Tom about auditioning a XV30 in that part of my room to bring up the "rear" so to speak. I'm waiting on a B-stock or slight cab imperfection 30 and could save a few bucks in the process, I'm trying to fiqure a way to sneak a 150 lb. beast passed the missus, the sub is black and that part of the room is dark, so I think she may never even notice:) Smoke I know you will be very happy with your new sub, be cautious though, the PSA sound is contagious and you may start to fiqure out a way to get a second in your place. ;) Keep me informed of your progress and what you think ofc the sub. When you're ready to possibly upgrade your mains don't hesitate to post your intentions. Take care.
Cheers Jeff :)

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
You are quite welcome my friend, the XV15 will bring many years of enjoyment, performance to price ratio the PSA subs are hard to beat, the only one I haven't had the pleasure to hear is the XV30, I've opened up a rear section of my HT room and have been talking with Tom about auditioning a XV30 in that part of my room to bring up the "rear" so to speak. I'm waiting on a B-stock or slight cab imperfection 30 and could save a few bucks in the process, I'm trying to fiqure a way to sneak a 150 lb. beast passed the missus, the sub is black and that part of the room is dark, so I think she may never even notice:) Smoke I know you will be very happy with your new sub, be cautious though, the PSA sound is contagious and you may start to fiqure out a way to get a second in your place. ;) Keep me informed of your progress and what you think ofc the sub. When you're ready to possibly upgrade your mains don't hesitate to post your intentions. Take care.
Cheers Jeff :)

Lmao! You are in the same boat with me.... It just drives my wife crazy I spend that kind of money on speakers but I sure love it!!! It's been my passion for as long as I can remember. I will sure keep u updated on my experience with the xv15 sub. And hope you find a way to hide that xv30;) beast. But I'm sure once you add it and turn it up with your xs30s I'm sure ur wife will notice something's up when the roof becomes removed lol

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Cheers Jeff
I apologize if I came off brash. I'm in a field that uses tripods a lot, and, 100 is considered a cheap tripod but kinda over the hump of what will last you a while in use. But, the 'throw away society' wasn't intended as a jab, I just meant I didn't want him to buy something that he'd end up tossing, as tripods are useful for a range of things. Cameras obviously, measurements, and with some creativity or off the shelf parts: speaker stands, laptop stand, etc.

But, YES, any tripod will do. And I apologize for being a ****. ;)

..and glad we agree on Terminator Salvation. Great demo, he's gunna like it I think! ;)

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
I apologize if I came off brash. I'm in a field that uses tripods a lot, and, 100 is considered a cheap tripod but kinda over the hump of what will last you a while in use. But, the 'throw away society' wasn't intended as a jab, I just meant I didn't want him to buy something that he'd end up tossing, as tripods are useful for a range of things. Cameras obviously, measurements, and with some creativity or off the shelf parts: speaker stands, laptop stand, etc.

..and glad we agree on Terminator Salvation. Great demo, he's gunna like it I think! ;)

And I apologize for the sarcasm, I know you was trying to help and I shouldn't have been sarcastic :)

ahblaza

ahblaza

I do agree that $100 is a good price for a decent pod and would definitely spend that or more if I had other intentions beyond the scope of mounting a relatively inexpensive SPL meter or the mediocre mic supplied with most receivers and processors. I do plan on getting some decent measuring devices and trying to understand the REW software and associated equipment to use it. I have been contemplating Sub EQ and various components involved, as I am not a big fan of Audyssey (waiting for the Audy fans to chime in). So that's where I'm at. We can certainly agree to disagree, no problems here my man. I tend to take things personally, so no harm no foul, all is well. I don't know how Smoke could not be impressed with Terminator Salvation with all the clean and punchy LFE in that BD, especially in the Director's cut. It is my go to reference BD for LFE also along with so many others of course. Thank you for acknowledging this bit of brash, no need for apology, you're certainly not a ****, whatever that is, I send my apology as well for acting like a little kid who dropped his ice cream cone. Take care, talk again. Smoke get that sub up and running, remember the gain control on the XV15 and all PSA subs have a wider range and just starting at 12:00 won't get you much output, I like to start at 1-2:00 and adjust from there, keep in mind it's not a volume control and you will be fine, and surely impressed.:)
Cheers Jeff

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Cool man. :)

I do agree that $100 is a good price for a decent pod and would definitely spend that or more if I had other intentions beyond the scope of mounting a relatively inexpensive SPL meter or the mediocre mic supplied with most receivers and processors. I do plan on getting some decent measuring devices and trying to understand the REW software and associated equipment to use it. I have been contemplating Sub EQ and various components involved, as I am not a big fan of Audyssey (waiting for the Audy fans to chime in). So that's where I'm at.
Yeah, trouble with EQ in general is it only deals with amplitude and not decay time. So, the EQ will lower the amplitude but doesn't take care of the decay (or ringing). Lots of stuff soaks up high frequencies in rooms, plus they are more directional, but low frequencies not so much. EQ I use for bass and some small cuts in the midrange due to my room, but, mostly I've had the most success from room treatments. Basically, get that bass out, then soak it up so the next note is clean. When low frequencies aren't tamed, it seems to cause problems with everything from imaging to midrange nuances (lost when standing waves and such dwarf them).

But, room treatments have problems too: Mainly they are ugly and you have to avoid that room when with a girl because they are absolute c**k-blockers. ;)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Cool man. :)

Yeah, trouble with EQ in general is it only deals with amplitude and not decay time. So, the EQ will lower the amplitude but doesn't take care of the decay (or ringing). Lots of stuff soaks up high frequencies in rooms, plus they are more directional, but low frequencies not so much. EQ I use for bass and some small cuts in the midrange due to my room, but, mostly I've had the most success from room treatments. Basically, get that bass out, then soak it up so the next note is clean. When low frequencies aren't tamed, it seems to cause problems with everything from imaging to midrange nuances (lost when standing waves and such dwarf them).

But, room treatments have problems too: Mainly they are ugly and you have to avoid that room when with a girl because they are absolute c**k-blockers. ;)
Cool back at you my friend. I must also agree with on room treatments, there is only so much EQing can do before you've changed the original sound. I never heard it put that way with girls, interesting :eek: There is one treatment at my age that's 100% guaranteed to work, it's blue and has a V on it. ;) Treat on....take care my man, it is nice to be nice, glad we worked that out. Like I said at my age those blockers are always present, and the "standing waves" are dwarfed....:(
Cheers Jeff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis