Sound from Pioneer SC35 pre out problem

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I have a pioneer SC35 Receiver and a seperate 2 channel integrated power amplifier for running the front 2 channels. Problem is that, while listining to the music from CD player, if I connect the integarted amplifier to the pre out of the front channels, the sound quality goes down drastically (sound sounds dull and lacks the fullness). This happens even if I run my receiver on pure direct mode.

If I connect my CD player to my receiver via an optic cable and run an optic cable from receiver out to my amplifier in, the sound quality is perfect i.e. as good as If connected directly from the CD player to the the amplifier. But the problem is that I can't use volume control on the receiver remote. My amplifier doesn't have a remote.

Given below are the scenarios :-

1) CD player connected directly to Integrated amplifier via RCA or optic - Sound is good.
2) CD Player RCA out connected to CD in on receiver and pre out of the receiver connected to the RCA IN on integrated amplifier - Sound quality is not good i.e. dull and lacking depth and fullness. Even if I press Pure direct its the same.
3) Same as 2 above by instead of using pre out on receiver I connected to the zone 2 out on my received - sound is good but I can't use the volume control.
4) Optic out from CD player connected to optic in on receiver and optic out from receiver connected to optic in of amplifier - sound is good i.e. same as option 1 above. But i can't use the volume control on of my receiver.

My question to you guys is that why in option 2 above the sound quality goes down ??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pioneer SC35 Receiver and a seperate 2 channel integrated power amplifier for running the front 2 channels. Problem is that, while listining to the music from CD player, if I connect the integarted amplifier to the pre out of the front channels, the sound quality goes down drastically (sound sounds dull and lacks the fullness). This happens even if I run my receiver on pure direct mode.

If I connect my CD player to my receiver via an optic cable and run an optic cable from receiver out to my amplifier in, the sound quality is perfect i.e. as good as If connected directly from the CD player to the the amplifier. But the problem is that I can't use volume control on the receiver remote. My amplifier doesn't have a remote.

Given below are the scenarios :-

1) CD player connected directly to Integrated amplifier via RCA or optic - Sound is good.
2) CD Player RCA out connected to CD in on receiver and pre out of the receiver connected to the RCA IN on integrated amplifier - Sound quality is not good i.e. dull and lacking depth and fullness. Even if I press Pure direct its the same.
3) Same as 2 above by instead of using pre out on receiver I connected to the zone 2 out on my received - sound is good but I can't use the volume control.
4) Optic out from CD player connected to optic in on receiver and optic out from receiver connected to optic in of amplifier - sound is good i.e. same as option 1 above. But i can't use the volume control on of my receiver.

My question to you guys is that why in option 2 above the sound quality goes down ??
Probably because it is an integrated amplifier, and the output form your receiver is too hot. Pre outs are designed to be connected to a power amplifier and not an integrated amplifier.

What input are you using on your integrated amplifier and what is your integrated amp?

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Probably because it is an integrated amplifier, and the output form your receiver is too hot. Pre outs are designed to be connected to a power amplifier and not an integrated amplifier.

What input are you using on your integrated amplifier and what is your integrated amp?
Thanks.

I have already tested pre out from my receiver on seperate NAD power amplifiers but same problem. it lacks depth and fullness.

My integrated amplifier is Integra A 8800. I assure you that this is an excellent amplifier and if I run direct they sound amazing.

I am using the CD in on my integarted amplifier.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I am using the CD in on my integrated amplifier.
TLS Guy is probably right. By using the CD input on the integrated amp you have two pre-amp sections in the signal path. The integrated amp would need inputs that go directly to the amplifier section for this scheme to work right.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks.

I have already tested pre out from my receiver on seperate NAD power amplifiers but same problem. it lacks depth and fullness.

My integrated amplifier is Integra A 8800. I assure you that this is an excellent amplifier and if I run direct they sound amazing.

I am using the CD in on my integarted amplifier.
In that case your receiver is faulty and needs service.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Do you have your front speakers on the Pioneer set to small?

In options 1, 3, and 4, the signal sent to the integrated amp is full range, so your front speakers will be playing all frequencies. Unless I'm remembering wrong, Pure Direct on Pioneer receivers still applies bass management. So, if you have your front speakers set to "small" on your Pioneer, option 2 would not send anything below the crossover frequency (e.g. 80 Hz) to the front speakers, likely causing them to lack "depth" as compared to the other options.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In options 1, 3, and 4, the signal sent to the integrated amp is full range, so your front speakers will be playing all frequencies. Unless I'm remembering wrong, Pure Direct on Pioneer receivers still applies bass management. So, if you have your front speakers set to "small" on your Pioneer, option 2 would not send anything below the crossover frequency (e.g. 80 Hz) to the front speakers, likely causing them to lack "depth" as compared to the other options.
Good catch. I did not think there was bass management in Pure Direct Mode. There isn't on my rig.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Good catch. I did not think there was bass management in Pure Direct Mode. There isn't on my rig.
OK but in option 2, don't you think if tone control and equlizer are bypassed in the receiver (there is an option on the receiver to that) the sound sould be the same as played in option 1 ?

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic

front speakers are set @ large

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
TLS Guy is probably right. By using the CD input on the integrated amp you have two pre-amp sections in the signal path. The integrated amp would need inputs that go directly to the amplifier section for this scheme to work right.
On the integrated amplifier this happens even if I run on a direct mode i.e. the pre amplifier section is bypassed (no bass, no treble)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

On the integrated amplifier this happens even if I run on a direct mode i.e. the pre amplifier section is bypassed (no bass, no treble)
It is not bypassed though, just Eq defeated.bb

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis