sound deadening/proofing my walls and ceiling need help

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I have an in-law suite that my Mother in-law will be moving into sooner than later. the suites living room is below my master bed room and is also next to a room that we use as our main tv room. I really want to decrease as much noise as i can from either side. I have gutted the in-law suite down to the studs and beams and now need to figure out what will work without breaking the bank. multi layered drywall with that green glue between is over $50 for a 4x8' sheet. The room is 11.5' wide by 20' long. Are there any DIY ways to soundproof the room without killing my wallet? I was thinking about installing a medium density fill between the beams in the ceiling and just using an R-15 insulation in the walls to insulate/dampen the sound. I was also thinking about lining the studs and beams with the Styrofoam sheets that are normally used to insulate a concrete pad from a wooden stud (normally used to prevent moisture is the concrete from damaging the studs). I thought this may isolate the drywall from the studs and help lower noises being passed through? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chuck

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I found a sound board that is meant to mount under the drywall called homasote. At $10 a sheet that seems like a decent price point. I also found a rock wool type insulation that will fit between the studs and beams. I will probably go this route unless I hear of a better way. I am still open to other methods of cost effective sound proofing.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
20140404_045454.jpgHope this reaches you in time. Ever heard of a party wall? In essence you stud a separate wall next to the original, ask a local contractor about this. It uses styrofoam and batten insulation in the wall. This design is used in apartment buildings or condos. A cannon would have to go off, and even then, might not be heard? If I can figure out how to post a photo, i'll do so. As far as the ceiling, what is the current ceiling height?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis