Soudproofing My Office

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I am finishing a large room on the lower level to act as an office and man cave. I want to soundproof it. Nothing extreme or high end, just enough so that watching TV or playing video games with a decent surround system won't disturb someone in the next room. It's currently 1/2" drywall on 5 sides with poured concrete (soon to be tiled) on the floor. Ceiling is about 8ft high and total area is about 18' x 21' = 378 square feet. When I finish it off, I will probably be lining the walls with faux brick tiling, so leaving that option open important for whatever wall I use. Price is a concern (ideally $1k or less if possible). Best bang for the buck is what I have in mind.

I found this: http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-barrier.aspx. It's pricier than I'd like. I could cover all of the walls and ceiling then sandwich it between a new layer of 1/2" drywall to go over the original. It has an STC of 19 when sandwiched between studs and drywall or two sheets of drywall. ($1.38 per square ft)

Someone in a different thread also mentioned homasote sound barrier 440, which claims to have an STC of 53. I could lay this over the original drywall, replace the old drywall, or use it in conjunction with sound barrier vinyl sheet if that's necessary. http://www.homasote.com/assets/files/products/snapad3_2013.pdf ($0.75 per square foot)

I am willing to replace my existing drywall on the floors and ceilings, but only if you guys think it's necessary. I have looked at rock insulation to go between the studs, but what I've seen is extremely pricey.

What are your suggestions? Any other products? Anything else that I have missed?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What is your HVAC system? If it used ducts then it makes soundproofing pretty much a waste of time and money. The ducts at as a megaphone carrying the sound from room to room.

If a home has AC it pretty much has to have ducts. That means of you are going to sound proof a room in a building with HVAC ducts, then you have to go to the trouble of isolating the HVAC which pretty much means giving it its own system.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
@TLS Guy
The room was added after the house was built and still remains half-finished. The duct system does not tie into this room. I'll be adding separate heating and possibly cooling.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I came across many posts referencing things like "GG" or "QR" or "GG+QR" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I finally found some more sources that pointed to these products:

http://www.greengluecompany.com/ (thanks @Speedskater)

https://www.quietrock.com/

Both look like much better options than the vinyl or homasote. Most discussion seems to agree that green glue sandwhiched in between 2 standard half inch drywall gypsum boards will be cheaper and perform better than adding a layer of quietrock.

I was wondering if anyone can answer any of the following questions:

1. If I went with a green glue sammich, would there be any significant effectiveness in upping the outer layer to 5/8" instead of 1/2" gypsum?
  2. How would a simple green glue sandwich compare to a makeshift resilient channel method like I linked above?
  3. Would I have significantly better gains if I did a resilient channel with a green glue sandwich attached to those channels, or would I quickly see diminishing returns?
  4. Is there a good reason to do a quietrock + Green Glue + gypsum sandwich?
  5. Two of my walls are outside walls (drywall, wooden studs, then concrete sheet with stucco) Do I need to soundproof the outside walls as well if my goal is to isolate the room from the rest of the house? Ambient noises and neighbors are not a big concern.
  6. The ceiling is perhaps the most important part. How do I need to treat the ceiling differently than the walls?
So many options here: Thanks in advance for any info.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
Green Glue vs Quiet Glue Pro vs Carpet Adhesive
Frustratingly long video, but actually some good information:

You can get Roberts 3095 carpet glue for $10 per gallon and it reportedly has good performance.

I lean toward the green glue, but I might consider carpet adhesive for adjacent rooms.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Remember that Green Glue is not glue (I don't know anything about Quite Glue). Green Glue never cures (hardens). So carpet glue or Liquid Nails Sub-Flooring might work like GG when new, but what happens five years from now?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
This great reference book is available in many libraries.

"The Master Handbook of Acoustics"
by F. Alton Everest

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
Remember that Green Glue is not glue (I don't know anything about Quite Glue). Green Glue never cures (hardens). So carpet glue or Liquid Nails Sub-Flooring might work like GG when new, but what happens five years from now?
That's a fair point. It seems that the carpet glue is made so that it remains viscous after it sets as well. However, the test in this video is only conducted over a few months. It's entirely possible that something negative happens long term. To be fair, I've not seen any long-term claims about green glue either. Will its acoustic properties decline after say 10 or 20 years?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis