Sony's credit demoted to "junk

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Despite strong PlayStation 4 launch, Sony's credit rating drops to 'junk' status | VentureBeat | Gadgets | by Dean Takahashi

I think this may be yet another reason for me to return my PS 4 and get an Xbox. Other than the Playstation it just doesn't seem like Sony has any relevance in the consumer electronics sector. Samsung has been kicking their *** on the TV front for years. I don't know anyone that has a Sony computer, phone or piece of home theater gear. Doesn't make much sense to me to invest in a console from a company that might be bankrupt in 5 to 10 years.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow! How the mighty have fallen. The founder died and the company has never been the same.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Despite strong PlayStation 4 launch, Sony's credit rating drops to 'junk' status | VentureBeat | Gadgets | by Dean Takahashi

I think this may be yet another reason for me to return my PS 4 and get an Xbox. Other than the Playstation it just doesn't seem like Sony has any relevance in the consumer electronics sector. Samsung has been kicking their *** on the TV front for years. I don't know anyone that has a Sony computer, phone or piece of home theater gear. Doesn't make much sense to me to invest in a console from a company that might be bankrupt in 5 to 10 years.
I don't see why you feel that way. The average console's lifespan is 5-10 years anyways, and if the last three gens are any indication, sony console will again have the best library of games. Sony's credit was pretty terribl over the entire PS3's lifespan too, btw... This is nothing new.

That said, i'm pretty happy with this Wii U and PC of mine for gaming for the next while.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

The only console I wouldn't touch is the Wii U. I would be more worried if I owned a Wii U going the way of the dodo. Their CEO and shareholders have admitted their concern about the future.

Sony is the opposite of Nintendo, strong sales concerning the PS4 and lots of debt. Nintendo, poor sales, no debt.

Microsoft stands above both with strong sales and strong (record breaking) financials.

Nintendo CEO: 'Wii U Isn't In Good Shape,' Plans $1.2B Stock Buyback - Forbes

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
That's not gonna happen either... It's just sensationalist journalism. Nintendo has a LOT of capital and would have to post losses for another decade. As for the stock buyback, thst's mostly in order to keep a controlling interest on majority ofshares, related to the late Hiroshi Yamauchi's heirs. The Wii U isn't in great shape, but it's got a fantadtic library already and plrnty of big games on the way. And if we're talking about the CEO's statements, he also made it clear that the WiiU would stick around and not be abandoned.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I want whatever consoles have good RPGS :D
Same here... here's the RPGs I've got marked down:

PS3:
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Persona 5
The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Lightning Returns
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zestiria
South Park: Stick of Truth
Drakengard 3 (...maybe... if the reviews are good. Nier was amazing)
Final Fantasy X HD
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD
Ar no surge (I'll be super-choked if this doesn't get localized)
Trails in the Sky HD 1st and 2nd chapters (i have the PSP version of 1st chapter and it's one of the best games ever made)

PS4
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XV

Wii U
X (Monolith Soft)
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

3DS
Bravely Default
Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked

Vita
Conception 2
Mind = Zero

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I don't see why you feel that way. The average console's lifespan is 5-10 years anyways, and if the last three gens are any indication, sony console will again have the best library of games. Sony's credit was pretty terribl over the entire PS3's lifespan too, btw... This is nothing new.
I could be way off base here, after all I have no knowledge of how one runs a multi-national billion dollar company but I don't see that Sony has any relevance in the consumer electronics segment other than the PS 4. Is that one product enough to keep them afloat?

I have already decided to return my PS 4. I'll probably pick one up again in the future once they've worked the bugs out but I don't think it's a very good console right now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The only console I wouldn't touch is the Wii U. I would be more worried if I owned a Wii U going the way of the dodo. Their CEO and shareholders have admitted their concern about the future.
Very true. The Wii U's biggest game, Super Mario something-or-other last year had great reviews and horrible sales. What that means is, the game companies are NOT going to invest in development and time to make games that aren't going to sell. When they stop making big games for it, the console will die on the vine.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think there is more to sony than the PS stuff, they sell tv's, pc's, cameras, ect... I don't think they are going anywhere soon... Plus Playstation has quite the following, I my self own 4 ps3's 5 viao PC's, 2 or 3 TV's from sony, and a few camera's... I can not play video games, I feel nauseous every time I tried, after 2 or 3 minutes I will be ruined for the rest of the day, the spins, a head ache, nausea, cold sweats.... But I can pllay old nintendo games, like mario bros, punch out, donkey kong, ect.. them will not bother me... the newer stuff ps2 and beyond makes me so sick..

its called simulator sickness, and is a form of motion sickness, I can take dramamine but that would be silly, to play a video game imo..

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Very true. The Wii U's biggest game, Super Mario something-or-other last year had great reviews and horrible sales. What that means is, the game companies are NOT going to invest in development and time to make games that aren't going to sell. When they stop making big games for it, the console will die on the vine.
If that's true regarding slumping sales on 1st party titles like Mario that is very worrisome because that is their bread and butter. Nintendos first party development is very strong and do make excellent games (Zelda and Mario) but their 3rd party development blows which are the majority of the games we play on consoles. If sales are slumping on their strong 1st party titles, nobody is going to buying their 3rd party games.

The Wii U is a loss leader as it is so they REALLY need people to buy the games to make money.

In the future I just can't see their shareholders to allow the Wii U to continue to lose money for Nintendo at this rate. Nintendo has always striked me as a fiscally responsible company.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis