Sony STR-DH540 or Marantz SR5002?

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Hello.....

I'm a new member here & I'm putting together my home theater surround system.. I'm very new to this audio world so here is what I'm facing.

I purchased a brand new Sony STR-DH540 from amazon but now I have someone who is offering me a Marantz SR5002 for the same price but of course used.. Which one will serve me better?

My speakers are LR (Klipsch F20) center (Klipsch C20) surround (Klipsch B20) and the sub is Bic F12.

Devices going into the receiver via hdmi (PS3, Apple TV, sony Bluray player)

Thank you for all your input.

Regards,
David

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For the Marantz, I would do some tests with the HDMI first - if it works fine
then buy it. If the person will not allow you to do the test - then skip it.

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Thank you I appreciate the answers.. I read The Marantz 5002 isn't native Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio decoding. Is that going to be a problem or impact the audio quality?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you I appreciate the answers.. I read The Marantz 5002 isn't native Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio decoding. Is that going to be a problem or impact the audio quality?
If you want the latest technology, it can be a problem to you
There may be a reason, why the person is selling it.

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Just looking for the most decent sound for both my movies and music.. He is selling it because he upgraded his entire system. (According to him) I did ask and told him I would need to test it 1st and he had no problem with that. Just making sure it's not a downgrade from the sony I bought.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Used is always a risk, so I'd try to test it to verify everything works first for sure; that's sort of a given. Providing things check out, I'd easily choose it over Sony. The PS3, and presumably the BD player can be set to output LPCM which this receiver can handle (the older "Fat" PS3s only output this way). Not sure about the Apple TV, that's one you'll have to find out on.

If you don't mind refurb, you can get good deals here too - with a warranty as they are an authorized Marantz reseller. I've bought from them many times: www.ac4l.com

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Just looking for the most decent sound for both my movies and music.. He is selling it because he upgraded his entire system. (According to him) I did ask and told him I would need to test it 1st and he had no problem with that. Just making sure it's not a downgrade from the sony I bought.
Check it out with HDMI - also take your Klipsch bookshelf speakers with you,
then see how much you do like it - then make your decision - if you want it
then offer $40 less.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Either of those receivers will easily drive those speakers. Having owned a number of both Sony and Marantz receivers over the years, the Marantz units have always been better built. Other than my first PS3 though, all of my Sony players have all lasted 10+ years, while my first brand new Marantz CD player died in a few months; go figure. My PM7200 has to be around 10 yrs by now too.

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Thank you all for the responses and help.. I will go check it out today and report back with an update.

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Ok ... So we tried testing things out and he couldn't get it to work.. He said he'll send it to get it checked by his repair guy, but I'm turned off and not going to buy anything used. However, I did go to frys and picked up the Yamaha RX-V375. I will be comparing this to the sony and will see which one will be a keeper.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That is how you do it - the 5002 has had some problems with HDMI

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
The Yamaha sounds a lot better?

Is it just me? I was testing last night til 2 AM.. But is it just me or is there like no comparison.. Or maybe I was just tired? I woke up again today and kept on switching .. The sony is going back...

I just bought this center speaker Klpisch C20, but also picked up a polk Csi3 .. My towers are Klipsch F20 and I know how critical it is to match center and LR speakers.. Should I try testing this polk with my setup instead of the C20 or will I be violating the law? Hehehe :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Now you know why there was no question in my first response :)

The front three speakers are the most important ones to match.

DSound

DSound

Enthusiast
Quite shocked at the reviews this Sony receiver is getting out there... Prior to this, I had an older Harmon Kardon connected to a Bose Accoustimass 6. I know I will get bashed on because of "Bose",
I'd never make that mistake again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis