Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At CEDIA 2011 this year, we got a glimpse of Sony Electronics' new SMP-N200 Streaming Player. What sets this apart is that it adds 3D streaming capability (for compatible movies) in addition to streaming content from Netflix, YouTube, Amazon on Demand, Pandora, Hulu Plus, Video Unlimited, VUDU and more. You can connect the box to your television via HDMI or component and, if you are living in the stone ages: composite. The SMP-N200 includes 802.11n WiFi, so you don't have to rush out and buy a new TV just to get the latest streaming media sources - just connect this to your existing set. Best yet, the SMP-N200 hits the shelves in the U.S. in October for around $99.99. It's only problem is that the latest Roku is smaller and less expensive. Sony is banking that advertising 3D - and supporting the latest streaming movies services (nearly all of them, in fact) will save the day.

Discuss "Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Player Preview" here. Read the article.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
So what "channels" does this have that the Roku doesn't have?

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
i dont have much experience with these types of boxes.. in fact i am against streaming, since you are not getting the best quality as you would with disc or even HD cable/satellite.

What i want to know are these boxes fast with viewing digital files off a USB jump drive. I have connected a jump drive to my tv to view pictures from my digital camera, and the process is slow and painful. Would these boxes be more responsive ?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know why anyone would want one of these, just call Sony and ask them about their network player's capability to play Dolby Digital. They say it will pass it but they say it will not receive it, so what's the point. As I understand it, only their PS3 will actually receive Netflix in DD. Now, since big sound is part of a big picture what's the point of movies in stereo, I've been there and done that 20 years ago; and, I didn't put together a magnificent HT with awesome surround sound capability to listen to stereo. My leisure time is a luxury so I want all the gusto. Until DD is common on network players I'll continue to buy DVD's and BD's.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
i dont have much experience with these types of boxes.. in fact i am against streaming, since you are not getting the best quality as you would with disc or even HD cable/satellite.
I wasn't a big fan of streaming but I've discovered that it has its place. I prefer BD discs when watching a movie (critical viewing) and both rent and buy them. And I prefer my uncompressed 1080i FiOS TV for hi-def TV and documentary viewing when what I want to watch is available. Still streaming has its own place and for me that's casual TV viewing when nothing else is on - especially old TV shows. I could never use it to replace FiOS TV, at least not until they can reliably stream uncompressed 1080i in 5.1, but it has its place.

What i want to know are these boxes fast with viewing digital files off a USB jump drive. I have connected a jump drive to my tv to view pictures from my digital camera, and the process is slow and painful. Would these boxes be more responsive ?
I haven't tried photos from a thumb drive but the Sony should be able to display photos plus play a lot of different audio and video formats - but by no means all. I'd test it at the store before buying.

I use a two box solution... 1) A Roku 2 XS for streaming and 2) a Netgear NeoTV550 to playback content from my home network. You might also want to look at the newest version of Western Digital TV Live. The 2011/2012 model appears to have a lot of potential, although not as much as the two-box solution. I like it so much that as of Monday I'll have the two-box solution in two rooms.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I looked at the latest version of the Western Digital network player, specifications state it supports Dolby Digital and DTS; yet, so far, seems none of the content providers are streaming Dolby Digital, or they are locking out Dolby Digital to everything but PS3. I don't know what politics are at play here; but, whatever it is, it's irritating. I want Dolby Digital. I expect it. This is after all 2011. Stereo was 20 years ago. If the idea here is to play media on the big TV, shouldn't it have a big sound too? That there are apparently so many folks who are buying into this low quality convenience is interesting. As I mentioned before, entertainment for me is a luxury; therefore, I want a Ritz experience, not a Motel 6 one. I would think, this being a home theatre forum, there would be others here as miffed about these network media player/providers as I am. Why let them treat you with a stereo experience. I've cancelled my Netflix subscription in protest, and I even took the time to try to tell 'em why I was cancelling, but, they didn't have a check box for "disappointed with sound quality". Maybe they are so into marketing they don't see the trees for the forest.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I looked at the latest version of the Western Digital network player, specifications state it supports Dolby Digital and DTS; yet, so far, seems none of the content providers are streaming Dolby Digital, or they are locking out Dolby Digital to everything but PS3. I don't know what politics are at play here; but, whatever it is, it's irritating. I want Dolby Digital. I expect it. This is after all 2011. Stereo was 20 years ago. If the idea here is to play media on the big TV, shouldn't it have a big sound too? That there are apparently so many folks who are buying into this low quality convenience is interesting. As I mentioned before, entertainment for me is a luxury; therefore, I want a Ritz experience, not a Motel 6 one. I would think, this being a home theatre forum, there would be others here as miffed about these network media player/providers as I am. Why let them treat you with a stereo experience. I've cancelled my Netflix subscription in protest, and I even took the time to try to tell 'em why I was cancelling, but, they didn't have a check box for "disappointed with sound quality". Maybe they are so into marketing they don't see the trees for the forest.
There are lots of things at play. 1) There is a unwillingness by the studios to license their more valuable properties to Netflix at a decent price. 2) you have cable/satellite providers leaning on the studios to discourage competition with cable systems. 3) Cable ISPs (and AT&T) discourage streaming by capping customers' monthly usage forcing Netflix to limit quality. 4) The $8/mo price limits how much content that Netflix can afford to buy and it limits how much bandwidth they can afford. 5) Few of their customers have big enough pipes to reliably stream high quality. For those that can stream freely they offer a 1080P / 5.1 client for the PS/3. It's not Blu-Ray quality but it's pretty good. Don't get me wrong I wish they offered better for the Roku but it's $8/mo for all you can eat.

If you want a premium streaming movie experience you'll have to pay a quite a bit more. Vudo advertises 1080P and 7.1 sound (on some devices) for $2/video for 2 nights. I haven't tried it because I like discs.

In between you have Amazon.com's streaming service. They advertize some level of HD video with 5.1 sound. The have a limited library of older movies that are available free to Prime members and a more that are pay per view.

Most of us love critical viewing but also accept that it's not possible all of the time. For those like me that are semi-retired streaming just fills a void when there is nothing else on - like at 2am. Old TV shows and movies beat infomercials or watching a repeat on HBO for the 25th time. Plus some of my all time favorite shows aren't even in HD - like the old Dr Who or Granada's Sherlock Holmes (sadly gone from Netflix). That's the gap that I see Netflix streaming filling.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis