Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player Video Review

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not 100% sure on the power sequence in the past. I think I always power on the Sony first, but perhaps not. I am fairly sure I powered up the Sony first last night. I will have to investigate tonight.

What is the correct sequence?
Source always goes last. You want your receiver on so that the source talks to it first when it asks what formats are supported.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't had a chance to play with it, but last night I did turn on the AVP-A1HD first before turning on the Sony BD. I did get Dolby TrueHD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, I had to return the S590 to Amazon because there were some cosmetic imperfections. Since I already have SACD/DVD-A covered, I didn't need it on a Sony BD, so I got the latest Sony S3100.

Okay. Turned on AVR first, set to BD as source, then turned on projector, then turned on Sony BD, played Iron Man and got Dolby TrueHD to bitstream, played Dark Knight Rises and got DTS-HD MA bitstream.

So to conclude, the S3100 can bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD, play DD 5.1 Amazon, DD+ 5.1 Netflix, has the new Sony TV-SideView remote app for both iOS & Android, and pretty much does everything nicely. Load time is extremely fast, seems pretty quiet.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Just picked up the S5100 to replace an aging Samsung. I bought it for DD+ 5.1 and Netflix. After a little use, I can say it's a nice improvement.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just picked up the S5100 to replace an aging Samsung. I bought it for DD+ 5.1 and Netflix. After a little use, I can say it's a nice improvement.
I was just looking at that model this weekend. What do you think of the top cover? It looks like it's not flat - is that the case? I'd like to sit something on it, but it looks in the photos like I won't be able to do that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My S3100 is flat on top.

These new models are really small (11" length for S3100, 14" for S5100). Talk about "cutting corners". :D

Their performance is great, though. ;)

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks - I'm also looking at the 3100 for just that reason. The 5100 is wider and doesn't appear to be flat, but it's only about $20 more and has some added features.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks - I'm also looking at the 3100 for just that reason. The 5100 is wider and doesn't appear to be flat, but it's only about $20 more and has some added features.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of the shape of the S5100. :confused:

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, I don't know what to make of the shape of the S5100. :confused:
Looking at more pictures (specifically the back view on crutchfied, it's a strait on view) it looks like the bump is very minor, so much so that if anything you'd put on top has even the smallest of rubber feet you'd be fine.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at more pictures (specifically the back view on crutchfied, it's a strait on view) it looks like the bump is very minor, so much so that if anything you'd put on top has even the smallest of rubber feet you'd be fine.
The rear pictures that I saw last night were consoling, but some that I saw last night made me think that the bump is larger. I was hoping for an owner opinion. :) I'd want to set my MB Air on top of it, and the feet are pretty thin on that.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just pulled the trigger on the 3100. I liked the 5100's features, but I just don't think that I'd like that top cover. So, non-3D player for me (which is cool, because everything else that I own doesn't have 3D).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just pulled the trigger on the 3100. I liked the 5100's features, but I just don't think that I'd like that top cover. So, non-3D player for me (which is cool, because everything else that I own doesn't have 3D).
That's how I felt too when I bought the S3100. I hate 3D video, so no big deal to me. I can't stand wearing any 3D glasses. Even when I watch movies at the theater, I always prefer 2D over 3D.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Adam,

When I fist took the 5100 out of the box, my eyes caught the top and thought it was broken. I had double take before I realized it was designed with that crazy hump.

I have a Uverse DVR setting on top with a slight slant. The slant is gradual, and I think most things that would fit if the top were flat would still fit. If the item has rubber feet and large enough base, it might not even slant.

(This is some picture I found on the internet)

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I just don't get why on earth Sony would do something that weird!

Why not just make it look normal? :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis