Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player Video Review

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So Roku works w/ Amazon 5.1, but does NOT work w/ Netlix 5.1 for you?
Yes exact opposite from you. :)

That is pretty odd that one works and the other does not, so it sounds like a receiver issue. Which Roku do you have? I have a 2XS and with the UMC, both work. I have not checked for the update yet, but got an email from Roku saying it would be out next week.
I have the XS too. Great thanks I was wondering when the update was.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I should watch the Matrix Trilogy again on my new Sony S590. :D

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys, am I missing something, I have a Panny BD 85 and the BD 500, I can not get DD 5.1 on either player on Amazon, can get it with VUDU, that's about all the streaming I have tried. I get everything with my PS3 slim. can anyone else with the 85 or 500 get 5.1. John or Joe, I would appreciate any advice here especially if I should be able to get 5.1 with the 500 on Amazon. ADTG, is there much difference between the S590 and S790 except price? Thanks guys.
Cheers Jeff

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, am I missing something, I have a Panny BD 85 and the BD 500, I can not get DD 5.1 on either player on Amazon, can get it with VUDU, that's about all the streaming I have tried. I get everything with my PS3 slim. can anyone else with the 85 or 500 get 5.1. John or Joe, I would appreciate any advice here especially if I should be able to get 5.1 with the 500 on Amazon. ADTG, is there much difference between the S590 and S790 except price? Thanks guys.
Cheers Jeff
AFAIK none of the Panasonic BD can output DD5.1 for Amazon Video. That's why I am pissed with Panasonic and why I got the Sony S590.

The difference between S390 vs S590 vs S790:

S590 & S790 adds 3D video & standard 17" width (S390 is only 12" wide:eek:). I would have gotten the S390 if it were also 17" wide.

S790 adds 4K Video Upscaling.

I can confirm the S590 outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 for Amazon Prime & Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 for Netflix (I don't stream VUDU or Hulu, etc).

I see a bunch of streaming channels as well - a bunch I've never even heard of.

I can also confirm the S590 can actually BITSTREAM (not just PCM) DSD Direct (2.0) & DSD Multi-Channel Direct (5.1). Very cool.

The iOS app (Media Remote Control) works great. I haven't tried the Android app, but should work.

BD playback is as fast as the Panasonic 220. Quick load and everything.

AFAIK the only thing this baby can't do is DVD-Audio (it will still play the Dolby Digital 5.1 & CD 2.0 part of the DVD-A disc). Almost perfect. :D

Last edited:
G

Grador

I can also confirm the S590 can actually BITSTREAM (not just PCM) DSD Direct (2.0) & DSD Multi-Channel Direct (5.1). Very cool.
I didn't think you were allowed to do anything but bitstream [over encrypted connection] DSD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't think you were allowed to do anything but bitstream [over encrypted connection] DSD.
No, the player could "downmix" or convert DSD to PCM and send it to your AVR. So if your AVR LCD display does not say either "DSD DIRECT" or "DSD MULTI DIRECT", then you are getting PCM, not bitstream.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yep what AcuDef said Ahblaza. I don't have Amazon on my Panny BD87 and don't use Vudu, but Netflix Is DD 5.1 though. I only used the amazon streaming for the last Batman movie and of course for the free movies on Prime. Hopefully you'll get it resolved soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep what AcuDef said Ahblaza. I don't have Amazon on my Panny BD87 and don't use Vudu, but Netflix Is DD 5.1 though. I only used the amazon streaming for the last Batman movie and of course for the free movies on Prime. Hopefully you'll get it resolved soon.
I think I found the weakness of the Sony player. It won't bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD! :mad:

My Panasonic BD is able to do that part. Damn.

G

Grador

I think I found the weakness of the Sony player. It won't bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD! :mad:

Well in theory that shouldn't make any difference at all as long as your receiver supports the full HDMI PCM spec.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

from what I've read you can over via Optical. I have not tried it yet. Let me know.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I just tried on my Sony and it gives me DTS with optical before it was PCM surround with HDMI. I just checked my HK 247(2007) does not handle the newer TrueHD & DTS-HD, but does decode DTS. The Panny gave me straight DTS via HDMI. I tested it with Percy Jackson on BD.

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

That really is not a weakness for me and imagine for you. Thanks for the heads up with the Pannys, that's very discouraging for two top of the line Panny players, but as you say they do bitstream, that really doesn't bother me that the Sonys don't do bitstream with HD, I would be using the 590 soley for streaming features, as I watch a lot of Amazon prime and the PS3 is getting old. Thanks brother.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That really is not a weakness for me and imagine for you. Thanks for the heads up with the Pannys, that's very discouraging for two top of the line Panny players, but as you say they do bitstream, that really doesn't bother me that the Sonys don't do bitstream with HD, I would be using the 590 soley for streaming features, as I watch a lot of Amazon prime and the PS3 is getting old. Thanks brother.
Yeah, I guess I can live w/o DTS-HD MA. I only use the player to stream Netflix & Amazon as well.

Looks like the new Sony BD players are the S1100, S3100, & S5100.

Blu-ray Disc™ Players | Sony | Sony Store USA

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Okay. Very weird. Before I went to Dallas this weekend, I completely turned off my Denon pre-pro. Now I just put in Ironman BD and it shows "Dolby TrueHD" on the LCD. :D

So the Sony BD player does bitstream Dolby TrueHD!

Tomorrow I will have to play a DTS-HD MA BD.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay. Very weird. Before I went to Dallas this weekend, I completely turned off my Denon pre-pro. Now I just put in Ironman BD and it shows "Dolby TrueHD" on the LCD. :D

So the Sony BD player does bitstream Dolby TrueHD!

Tomorrow I will have to play a DTS-HD MA BD.
That is strange. A hand shaking problem perhaps? Do you remember the power on sequence of the time it didn't work with the time that it did work?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is strange. A hand shaking problem perhaps? Do you remember the power on sequence of the time it didn't work with the time that it did work?
Not 100% sure on the power sequence in the past. I think I always power on the Sony first, but perhaps not. I am fairly sure I powered up the Sony first last night. I will have to investigate tonight.

What is the correct sequence?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis