Sony Announces 'PlayStation Protection Plan'

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Sony Announces 'PlayStation Protection Plan'

Worried your PS3 or PSP might break? Sony will sell you peace of mind.
by Greg Miller

May 3, 2010 - Even with their various price drops, the PlayStation 3 and PSP are expensive investments, and although each comes with a one-year warranty from Sony, there's always that concern about what's going to happen at the year and a half mark.

Sony is addressing that today with the announcement of the PlayStation Protection Plan, an extended warranty for PS3s, PSP-3000s and PSPgos. Starting today in most states, you can buy an additional year or two years of protection for your systems if they're brand new or still under their original warranties. PSP owners can also opt for the Accidental Damage Plan that covers cracked screens that are the owner's fault, but it requires you to buy it within 30 days of purchasing your PSP.

The PS3 protection plans start at $44.99 for an additional year and jump to $59.99 for two years. A year of extra coverage on the PSP costs $29.99 while two years will set you back $39.99. Want the Accidental Damage plan, which includes the standard PSP protection plan? That's $39.99 for a year or $49.99 for two years.

As of today, most states are on board with the program, but Sony's still working out the kinks in Wyoming, Georgia, Utah, Texas and Wisconsin. If you're interested in the plan, you can call 1-866-716-7669 or hit up the official site.

Source: IGN

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So if I get my 60G repaired, I wonder if that means I can add warranty to it?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That is a good question, I know that after they repair a PS3 out of warranty they add a ninety day warranty to it, so I wonder if that will count as still being under warranty so you can add this to it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I decide to give them a call to find out to see if it is possible and I'm on hold right now waiting to talk to a rep at the moment, I will let you know what I find out.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Seems kind of overpriced to me. I spent 20$ to get 2 extra years from the store and that's about as much as I'd be willing to part with for a extended warranty.

Kinda nifty I s'pose though since I assume you could get this and the store warranty for a total of 5 years of warranty.

Do they still repair BWC models? Last I heard you got a new slim.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
So if I get my 60G repaired, I wonder if that means I can add warranty to it?
Well here is the answer:

The PlayStation® Protection Plan is available for purchase by customers who are still within their original one-year limited warranty.
Seems kind of overpriced to me. I spent 20$ to get 2 extra years from the store and that's about as much as I'd be willing to part with for a extended warranty.

Kinda nifty I s'pose though since I assume you could get this and the store warranty for a total of 5 years of warranty.

Almost every store's extended warranty runs along side the manufactures warranty, In other words if you buy a 2yr extended warranty all you really get is an extra year since the store's warranty starts immediately after you purchase it, and does not wait for the manufactures to expire.

Here is the terms and conditions from Best Buys extended warranty:

Your coverage under this Plan is effective
beginning on the date you purchase your
product or on the date your original product
was delivered to you as stated on your purchase
receipt and will expire either one (1), two (2),
three (3), four (4), or five (5) years from this
effective date depending on the length of Plan
you purchased and as stated on your purchase
receipt.
• Our obligations under this Plan will be fulfilled
in their entirety if we replace your product,
issue you a voucher or gift card or reimburse
you for replacement of your product pursuant
to these terms and conditions.
• This Plan is inclusive of your product’s
manufacturer’s warranty; it does not replace
your product’s manufacturer’s warranty, but it
does provide certain additional benefits during
the term of the manufacturer’s warranty.
• Parts and services covered during the
manufacturer’s warranty period are the
responsibility of the manufacturer and are not
covered under this Plan.
• After the manufacturer’s warranty expires,
this Plan continues to provide the benefits
provided by the manufacturer’s warranty, as
well as certain additional benefits as listed
within these terms and conditions.
This just an example but this is pretty much how all extended warranties from stores work.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
At least at walfart the store plan doesn't kick in till after the manufacturer's. Glad you pointed that out though, definitely not buying any extension at BB. Not that I ever buy anything there <3 amazon.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I avoid the extend warranty because most the time it's not worth it unless it's a huge purchase like over $500 then maybe. but as far as for the PS3 I won't do it, I'll fix my own if it has a problem.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Wow. Never thought I'd say it, but I prefer Microsoft's "free" fix program. Most everyone whose box has broken has been from the RRoD.

That said, Sony fans don't have to live with a 60+ percent mortality rate with their consoles (in the first two years, no less)!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At least at walfart the store plan doesn't kick in till after the manufacturer's. Glad you pointed that out though, definitely not buying any extension at BB. Not that I ever buy anything there <3 amazon.
The difference is that Best Buy's plan replaces it no questions asked though.

Apparently they will give you a choice, so you can pay more to get a Fat or less to exchange for a Slim.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis