Sony 555ES or Denon 2200 -- recommendations?

M

marcster

Audioholic Intern
I have an opportunity to pick between either a Sony 555ES DVD changer or a Denon 2200 which a local dealer I've worked with is selling at pretty good prices -- the Sony is lower than Crutchfield's site -- and, of course there'd be no shipping.

I have a Sony DA4ES receiver. Don't know if that matters much ... we use a 3rd party universal remote anyway.

So it would be pretty much on quality and specs anyway. Are single players still really better than changers? I had been pretty much confining my research lately to the 2200. Since one is a single and one is a changer, can't do a direct comparison on Crutchfield's site. Sony has the 5-year warranty though ...

U

Unregistered

Deno 2200 vs Sony 55ES

Forget the 2200, Get the Denon 2900. Denon just dropped the price by $ $300. It's an outstanding value.Sony ES is very
good but in my opinion their quality has dropped over the last few years. I had
100% Sony ES gear but have now replaced all my components with Denon.
The quality of construction and component selection is the best you can get in "mass-market" components. Sony uses proprietary components, Denon uses
SHARC and Burr-Brown. Look at the reviews, the 2900 performs at theoretical limits in both audio and video. I am very pleased with mine and it's built like a tank!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Bear in mind, too, that Sony isn't going to make a player that'll play DVD-A anytime soon. You may not care either way, but I couldn't get by without DVD-A playback; I just have too many discs.

I see the 2200 is discontinued, and probably the 2900 is or soon will be, in favor of the new models. Probably will be some good deals to be had on either.

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
If you can get a 2200 for next to nothing from a store that is trying to get rid of them for the new models, grab one. I have one so i can recommend :)

If not, as the others mentioned, the 2900 is a beautiful machine as well, it was just a bit to much for me originally, but now it is a steal.

cheers
KJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis