sonus faber olympica iii vs revel studio 2

B

bsf

Audioholic
I got to hear the the Focal Scala Utopia III, they very beautiful looking and sounding speakers, might be my favorite

B

bsf

Audioholic
i might be getting the Focal scala utopia III used for about 16k

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's still a lot of money for a pair of speakers.

A pair of used B&W 802 diamond would be around $10K.

A pair of used Revel Salon2 would be around $12K.

I don't see how the Focal is any better.

Both the Focal & Salon have Beryllium tweeters, normally about $500 per driver.

The 802 Diamond has Diamond tweeters, normally about $2000 per driver.

Last edited:
B

bsf

Audioholic
Those are my top 3 choices as of right now... but the focal i think sounded the best... but your correct that would be going over my budget for speakers.. i really want to try to remain around the 10k mark

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those are my top 3 choices as of right now... but the focal i think sounded the best... but your correct that would be going over my budget for speakers.. i really want to try to remain around the 10k mark
The Focal Utopias are very sexy for sure. :D

Too bad I don't think you can actively bi-amp the woofers on the Scala like you can on the Focal Grande Utopia EM.

You mentioned the $7500 XTZ Devine towers, which can be actively bi-amped. If I were choosing between the XTZ vs the other 3, I would get the XTZ. Too bad you can't audition the XTZ.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Too bad I don't think you can actively bi-amp the woofers on the Scala like you can on the Focal Grande Utopia EM.

You mentioned the $7500 XTZ Devine towers, which can be actively bi-amped. If I were choosing between the XTZ vs the other 3, I would get the XTZ. Too bad you can't audition the XTZ.
Perhaps you can explain again why active bass bi-amping is worthy of being a decision-point feature?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps you can explain again why active bass bi-amping is worthy of being a decision-point feature?
For me, Active bi-amp allows you to easily adjust the bass without messing with any kind of Tones/EQ/DSP. I hate using the Tones/EQ/DSP circuits in pre-pros/preamps.

You can adjust the bass by either simply turning the amp gain/volume or by adjusting the channel level on your iPad, which does not mess with the Tones/EQ/DSP.

The ability to actively bi-amp the bass via LFE is great for guys who love Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which enhances the bass dynamics, making the bass seem very punchy, tight, musical, and very dynamic.

When I had the Salon2, Dynamic EQ did absolutely NOTHING for me. But with something like RBH SX-8300/R, XTX Devine, or Focal Grande Utopia EM towers, Dynamic EQ could make me very happy.

For me, I would never buy any full-range tower that doesn't allow active bi-amp of the bass. In my mind, I might as well just buy bookshelf + dual subs.

But YMMV.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
For me, Active bi-amp allows you to easily adjust the bass without messing with any kind of Tones/EQ/DSP. I hate using the Tones/EQ/DSP circuits in pre-pros/preamps.

You can adjust the bass by either simply turning the amp gain/volume or by adjusting the channel level on your iPad, which does not mess with the Tones/EQ/DSP.

The ability to actively bi-amp the bass via LFE is great for guys who love Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which enhances the bass dynamics, making the bass seem very punchy, tight, musical, and very dynamic.

When I had the Salon2, Dynamic EQ did absolutely NOTHING for me. But with something like RBH SX-8300/R, XTX Devine, or Focal Grande Utopia EM towers, Dynamic EQ could make me very happy.

For me, I would never buy any full-range tower that doesn't allow active bi-amp of the bass. In my mind, I might as well just buy bookshelf + dual subs.

But YMMV.
Okay, that's what I thought. What you describe is similar to a powered subwoofer with a high-pass filter and a built-in volume control. I'd say you're an exception, but my sub appears to be built with people like you in mind. Perhaps I'm the exception...

You need to assess, bsf, if ADTG's biases are relevant to you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
haha the Grande Utopia won't be happening in my life
Well, so far the best speaker you've heard is the Focal Utopia Scala. So keep an eye for a good price, especially local buy since they are heavy.

Everyone will have a different opinion for sure.

No matter what I or anyone thinks, at the end of the day, trust your ears.

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
The Olympica line has some of the best speakers I've heard for replicating live piano. But the B&W 804d3's blew them away for normal rock music...IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
What else did you think of the 804D3?
It's probably one of the best store bought speakers I've ever heard. We were listening to an Adelle concert on it and the music sounded fine on the Cm10's but when we out on the 804D3's we could hear her breathing while singing. They are bright but ultra ultra clear. They sound completely vibration free. Just amazing...and this was with a marantz sr5010 (100w) driving them.

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
Thanx for that, its on my list of possible speakers to buy
Best Buy had them for $9k/PR but they said 10% off is standard. They'll probably do 20% from what I understand. Too expensive for me right now, but they sounded better than the series above them. I'd definitely recommend swinging by magnolia and listening to them.

B

bsf

Audioholic
I didn't think best buy would negotiate price... Id buy them at 20% off 9k

B

bsf

Audioholic
If there that good maybe i'll wait for a used pair to show up somewhere as well

B

bsf

Audioholic
But at the same price Im sure the 804d3 couldn't touch the SoundScape 8...

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
But at the same price Im sure the 804d3 couldn't touch the SoundScape 8...
Never heard of the soundscape 8. Any idea where to listen?

B

bsf

Audioholic
Not sure you have to find someone who owns them locally..

I will listen to the 804D3 tomorrow

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis