AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Two good looking Passive almost-full-range towers that cost too much? :D

B

bsf

Audioholic
you think they are over priced?

i have the studio 2 now and am enjoying them but now I'm interested in the the iii's

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is there something about the Revels that you don't like or that you find lacking?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you think they are over priced?

i have the studio 2 now and am enjoying them but now I'm interested in the the iii's
Are you thinking about replacing the Studio2 that you just recently bought or adding the Sonus Faber?

I personally think both are overpriced; I personally think all Passive towers over $3K are overpriced.

And I don't see any gain going from the Studio2 to the Sonus Faber.

That is just my opinion.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Are you thinking about replacing the Studio2 that you just recently bought or adding the Sonus Faber?

I personally think both are overpriced; I personally think all Passive towers over $3K are overpriced.

And I don't see any gain going from the Studio2 to the Sonus Faber.

That is just my opinion.

Gain? Perhaps not. Different? Definitely. Since good sound is subjective they may find they enjoy one more than the other.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a passive speaker system of this order. They do tend to hold their value better than active options over time. YMMV

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gain? Perhaps not. Different? Definitely. Since good sound is subjective they may find they enjoy one more than the other.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a passive speaker system of this order. They do tend to hold their value better than active options over time. YMMV
2 identical brands of grand pianos, guitars, violins, etc., will sound "differently" too.

Oh, yeah, for sure. Popular speakers like Revel Ultima and especially B&W Diamond speakers hold their values very well.

There is nothing "wrong" with wanting any speaker or amp. Everyone has different priorities.

At one point I wanted and owned a bunch of speakers. Now I don't. So I definitely understand anyone wanting things.

Again, it is just my one opinion.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Thoughts on these two, yes I'll take a pair of each. I've heard them both and its hard to beat either but of course that guy for Oklahoma City will push his RBH's :D, but I've yet to hear those speakers. It's all about what a person likes, their wallet and of course their home.

B

bsf

Audioholic
ill probably keep the studio and add the sonus .. not sure yet

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thoughts on these two, yes I'll take a pair of each. I've heard them both and its hard to beat either but of course that guy for Oklahoma City will push his RBH's :D, but I've yet to hear those speakers. It's all about what a person likes, their wallet and of course their home.
The only other tower I would recommend besides the $5000/PR RBH SX-8300 & $5900/PR SX-8300/R is the $7200/PR XTZ Devine 100.49 towers, which can also be Actively bi-amped. The only "issue" with the XTZ is the steeper cost and lack of 3rd party measurements and reviews.

I guess my thing is the Actively bi-amp towers. The treble and midrange have to be awesome. That goes without saying. But the active bi-amp bass is what separates them from the rest of the passive herd. If other companies offer this and keep it under $6K, I would also recommend them.

If RBH towers were incapable of being actively bi-amp, I would stop being a RBH dealer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ill probably keep the studio and add the sonus .. not sure yet
Have you heard the B&W 802 Diamond?

Aftermarket Diamond tweeters cost about $4K/Pair. So we know that Diamond tweeters are very expensive. The craftsmanship of the Piano Black 802 Diamond is exquisite. The cabinet is absolutely inert.

I would get the 802 Diamond over the Sonus Faber.

B

bsf

Audioholic
thanx i'll look into this... I'm looking at speakers in the 10k-20k...
and subs 1k-5k range

i need a center channel speaker, 4 monitors, 2 loudspeakers and 1-2 subs

B

bsf

Audioholic
i heant listened to many of the bowers and wilkins but i'll check them out
my next speakers i'll probably get on that audigon website

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The only other tower I would recommend besides the $5000/PR RBH SX-8300 & $5900/PR SX-8300/R is the $7200/PR XTZ Devine 100.49 towers, which can also be Actively bi-amped. The only "issue" with the XTZ is the steeper cost and lack of 3rd party measurements and reviews.

I guess my thing is the Actively bi-amp towers. The treble and midrange have to be awesome. That goes without saying. But the active bi-amp bass is what separates them from the rest of the passive herd. If other companies offer this and keep it under $6K, I would also recommend them.

If RBH towers were incapable of being actively bi-amp, I would stop being a RBH dealer.

Never tried the bi-amp arrangement.

Send me a PM on what the RBH SX-8300 in walnut would run $$ wise, got to be someone in central Fl that has these things.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never tried the bi-amp arrangement.

Send me a PM on what the RBH SX-8300 in walnut would run $$ wise, got to be someone in central Fl that has these things.
You mean never tried the ACTIVE bi-amp arrangement? Because PASSIVE bi-amp doesn't do a whole lot.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
As usual I gotta throw out my Vandersteen plug...
Check out the Vandersteen Quatro CT as well.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
thanx i'll look into this... I'm looking at speakers in the 10k-20k...
and subs 1k-5k range

i need a center channel speaker, 4 monitors, 2 loudspeakers and 1-2 subs
Find a way to listen to Salk SoundScape 8 speakers. They are made by Salk and sold only by Internet Direct. He travels to various audio shows around the country, and keeps a list of owners who are happy to demo their speakers to potential owners.

Salk makes appropriate center and surround speakers that go with this model.

I've heard the SS8 and the Revel Studio 2, and I prefer the Salk over the Revel. I've not heard the Sonus Faber Olympica.

B

bsf

Audioholic
i'll try to check them yet.. i always was interested in them but doubt i'll ever get a chance to listen to them

B

bsf

Audioholic
i listened to the monitor audio PL300 this morning they sounded pretty darn good....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis