Sonos/Wireless music streaming

G

Ground Beef

Enthusiast
I'm playing with the idea of putting in some in wall speakers in various rooms around the house (office, master bed/bath, guest room, kids room, patio, garage, etc)

Ideally, I'd like to be able to control the music content and volume from my smartphone/tablet, be able to play separate streams to each room (i.e. if I want to listen to jazz in the office my daughter can listen to Psy in her bedroom)...so far, it seems that only Sonos provides this solution...at a significant cost.

From what I understand, if I were to forgo using the all in one Sonos speakers (i.e. Play 5), and wanted to install my own in wall speakers, I'd have to:

a. buy the Sonos Connect:Amp for $500 FOR EACH ROOM
b. buy the Sonos Connect ($350) and a small amp Emotive mini-X a-100 FOR EACH ROOM

Both of those scenarios don't even take into account the cost of the speakers.

Keep in mind that this would all be a retro fit, I'd have to cut into existing drywall and probably do some drywall patching running wires, etc. to make everything look integrated. (I'm really anal about not seeing any wires, and making things look as if they "belong" there). I'm even playing with the idea of wiring everything into the attic so no one sees anything but speakers, and hopefully those will be pretty well hidden. Sorry to keep rambling.

Thanks for your help.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Apple airplay is cheaper but it may not have all the functionality you need.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Sonos Good...

I really like Sonos much better than airplay as everything is built into one easy to use app. As far as you layout, it cost is an issue then maybe start with the rooms that you need right away, then add as desired. Having control of each room is great, I would not have it any other way.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I was (and am) a big fan of Squeezebox, may it R.I.P. If the OP uses iTunes as his front end, airplay is pretty darn easy to set up and use. If cost is a factor, airplay is just a lot cheaper than Sonos.

That said, I've been tempted by Sonos. I know that people who use is, love it which is a good sign.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is whether the analog out from the Sonos connect is much good or not. From some of the things I've read on the net (which is not always your most reliable source of info), the Sonos connect benefits from a dac in which case the emotiva amp would not be a cost effective choice. Squeezebox sounds superb using the analog out; the apple TV and express benefit from an external dac. The point is that if OP needs an external dac with the Sonos connect, he'll need to factor that into his budget.

G

Ground Beef

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info bikemig:

I had not considered the need for a DAC, and I'm not sure what the analog quality is on the SONOS box..great questions. I am NOT an Apple guy, don't want to support he evil empire, but that's another discussion, lol.

Still kicking tires...I was able to pick up a set of B&W DM603 S2 this weekend off of Craigslist for really really cheap, AND the guy threw in an old Marantz 170DC amp for free. I may play with this setup to test things out.

Thanks again.

GB

J

jotham

Audioholic
I'm a Squeezebox person myself so I would buy Squeezebox Touches which are still pretty available. Of course, you would need the external amp for each room.

Alternatively, there is a fire sale on Squeezebox radios at Amazon for $100 each. Those would give you basic audio and you could use the headphone out to an amp if you want more power later on. It may not be the most "audiophile" approach but you could spend $500, sync them with one computer and have 5 zones out of the box working today.

Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Radio Music Player with Color Screen (Red): Electronics

You could also consider a bluetooth streaming interface to an amp.
This logitech device fits the bill pretty nicely.

Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio Devices (980-000540): Electronics

Finally, you should probably consider getting over your Apple allergy :) Airplay is a pretty ubiquitous approach and if anyone can make something user friendly it's Apple. I'm not going to argue that it's as powerful as a Squeezebox or Sonos approach but it will be easier to support in the long term as lots of consumer electronics are coming with Airplay built in.

Good luck!

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'm a huge fan of the SB touch but it is hard to find now and expensive so I'm not sure it is a viable alternative.

I completely agree that the OP should get "over" his Apple allergy. I don't like empires, evil or benign, and Apple does wall off its garden. I don't like Apple's approach and I'm a mac guy. That said, airplay is a fine way to stream and clearly very cost effective.

The answer really depends on how much the OP want to spend and whether the extra functionality of sonos is worth the extra cost (and whether he can get over his dislike of Apple, :D)

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Everything you need to know about Sonos right here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Here's another relatively inexpensive option:

Amazon.com: Grace Digital GDI-IRA500 Wireless Internet Radio Adapter Featuring Pandora, NPR and SIRIUS: Electronics

From Grace Digital. You would still need an amp in every room.

I have their Wi-FI tuner on my two channel system and I, and my family, love it. We play music almost constantly and the TV really only comes on for movies.

The interface is antiquated, not icon driven, but still easy enough to get around in. It has a remote app that you can download to an iphone/droid that will control multiple radios.

You could also always use a wireless xmission system like these:

Amazon.com: Terk Technologies Leapfrog LF-30S Wireless 2.4 GHz A/V Distribution System: Electronics

(the first one that showed up on amazon).

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Why would you need an amp in every room? Just connect each Sonos unit to a single multichannel amp and wire all the speakers to that amp? You would need a dedicated Sonos unit for each room but should be fine with a single amp.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
The Squeezebox apps for smartphones is so good, add the legacy Squeezebox to the recommended list. I never touch my Touch. ;)

N

nonoy

Audiophyte
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a Sonos question.

I currently have entry-level gear for my first venture into hi-fi. My set-up consists of Paradigm Monitor 9 v.6, NAD C-326BEE amp, and NAD C-515BEE CD player. I usually burn FLAC files to CD, and while I know that there are far better gears out there, they give me countless hours of listening pleasure. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm only into stereo listening, as I'm a music lover since birth.

I wanted to try going wireless as I cannot play my 24/96 files with my CD player. My initial option is to buy a wireless DAC (NAD DAC2 or something similar) and play all my files from my laptop with foobar2000. However, I read about Sonos and its features and how seemingly owners love it. I also heard about Squeezebox as a cheaper option.

My question is, being sound quality as primary consideration, and committing to a wireless set-up, what would be my best option among the three? I am currently inclined to get the Sonos, but I'm not sure if it will sound as good as with using a DAC or for that matter as my CD player. Should I really need a DAC to bring the best out of my FLACs from my laptop (logic tells me I should, since the CD player uses one, but I need some expert advice here)? Also, I like the idea of having a music server and build on that later, hence the inclination with Sonos and other similar gear. What about cheaper options other than Sonos system (cheaper in terms of ease of use but not sound quality, i mean)?

Please forgive the seemingly trivial questions as I'm not too familiar with wireless streaming, but I'm really keen to put up one while preserving as much quality sound possible. I'm not even into learning how to put up the server, but that can wait later. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis