Sometimes Amazon Prime is not so prime

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Tread carefully here!

You don't want to piss off Amazon Prime's brother, Optimus!

"You die!"

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure the point here, Amazon does not always guarantee the lowest prices, but the shipping is free. I always check a price of am item I want across the web, there are always better deals if you look hard enough ;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
All in all, more and more Amazon is tending to raise their prices to help pay for that free shipping. However, the 2-day shipping is a convenience for many. They still have some nice deals around.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I do like that the Speakers I bought from them (Sony and Fluance signatures) shipped after Nov.1 so I have until Jan 31, 2017 to return them!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
All in all, more and more Amazon is tending to raise their prices to help pay for that free shipping. However, the 2-day shipping is a convenience for many. They still have some nice deals around.
It's pretty easy to check prices against what Amazon is offering. Between web browser apps like camelcamelcamel and wikibuy you can either check the price fluctuations of a product or use wikibuy to look up an item and compare cost against certain other retailers. There are also Amazon apps so that when you are on other websites looking at items it automatically searches Amazon to find the product you are looking at and shows you current Amazon price without leaving the page you are one.

For the things I buy I find that Amazon is within $5 of the total price shipped + tax the majority of the time. Having it delivered in 2 days usually tips the boat in Amazon's favor for me even if I overpay a little. However, with Amazon expanding it's own in house product line more and more often they're lower on household goods. Heck, even dog potty training pads are Amazon branded now and priced lower than the competition. Throw in subscribe and save on items you use most often and Amazon has another way to undercut the competition.

I shop from plenty of other places, because like you said Amazon isn't always the cheapest, but there are certainly ways to make Amazon work a little harder to earn your dollar.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here is one thing to watch out for on Prime:

I four items (all Prime) in my cart yesterday.
When I went to checkout, I noticed they were scheduled to arrive on Wednesday instead of Monday.

I went back and deleted each item until the schedule reset for Monday added the other items, so I now have 3 items arriving on Monday and one on Wednesday. I could have placed all four orders separately under Prime, but I assume I'm helping insure they get put in one box to save on cardboard (if nothing else).

I don't like that Amazon will push the delivery back to the slowest item when Prime allows me to order them separately with free shipping.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That should just be a setting. If you have prime you can choose to ship as they are available or group into one shipment. Sounds like you have the latter checked instead of the former.

Here is one thing to watch out for on Prime:

I four items (all Prime) in my cart yesterday.
When I went to checkout, I noticed they were scheduled to arrive on Wednesday instead of Monday.

I went back and deleted each item until the schedule reset for Monday added the other items, so I now have 3 items arriving on Monday and one on Wednesday. I could have placed all four orders separately under Prime, but I assume I'm helping insure they get put in one box to save on cardboard (if nothing else).

I don't like that Amazon will push the delivery back to the slowest item when Prime allows me to order them separately with free shipping.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That should just be a setting. If you have prime you can choose to ship as they are available or group into one shipment. Sounds like you have the latter checked instead of the former.
LOL, I suspect the latter is the default. Either that or I set it before I joined Prime to make sure I made the requirement for free shipping (I think it was $25).
But thanks, I will find/change the setting!

Can this be set as a default? ?Or do I have to do it for each order separately?
I don't see option as a global account setting!

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
LOL, I suspect the latter is the default. Either that or I set it before I joined Prime to make sure I made the requirement for free shipping (I think it was $25).
But thanks, I will find/change the setting!

Can this be set as a default? ?Or do I have to do it for each order separately?
I don't see option as a global account setting!
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you just need to select ship as soon as possible and click the button for save default next time you order multiple items. I'm pretty sure that's what I did and it worked.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon is like any other retailer.. check your prices ahead of time. I scored very well on my new Yamaha BluRya player and WD 3Tb MyBook from Amazon. I'm currently looking at TVs and I see no screaming deals there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Prices vary on there a lot. If you keep an eye on what you want, it may change prices during a single day. I add it to my cart and save for later and when the price changes from when you added it, it will tell you if it went up or down. Just like any online retailer, you have to watch for the deals and pull the trigger when the price is right. I bought my AJ Pioneer center for $50 brand new on Amazon when it is normally $120+.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis