killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Movies are a real passion of mine. I’ve been into movies all my life and spend a vast amount of time exploring the entire global production output as much as possible.

I’ve been going through some threads here looking for what people are watching and I noticed there’s a lot of San Andreas/Game of Thrones here. Which is, of course, fine when it comes in equal amounts with all other treats.

So, I’m thinking of starting a thread with some “heads up” type info for all of you curious and “eye-thirsty” people.

Whether this thread will go on depends on you and your comments. If you find them useful it will certainly motivate me to keep up.

I watch my movies on a home cinema movie projector and these recommendations will convey my thrill with both visual style and narrative (and other aspects of course, but we can discuss these later)

WARNING: some or most of you have seen some or most of these movies, the thread is for those who didn’t and of course, even you could find some good recommendations.

Let’s start off with visually stunning yet profound and moving documentary by Wim Wenders; The Salt of the Earth. This was an awarded documentary and most of you might have seen it already. If not, however, do so. It will stick with you.

A little less famous is Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears by Helene Cattet and Bruno Forzani. I will warn you this is partly a horror movie so if you’re not into it, don’t see it. The movie is a very interesting genre experiment where, since it heavily relies on visual, visual becomes a major plot device. Sound and picture really come together in this one.

Third and last one for my first post is a director recommendation – see anything done by Makoto Shinkai. Even if you’re not into anime, you should definitely see it. He makes intensely melancholic anime that, in style, borders with impressionists’ art. It is all about the way what you see is making you feel. If you plan to watch it alone start with 5 Centimetres per Second. If you’ll see it with smaller kids start with Journey to Agartha / Children Who Chase Lost Voices, if you’ll see it with a bit bigger children start with Voices Of a Distant Star (short animated).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
On we go!

Welcome back everyone, I see I got some views and a like so perhaps some of you found something interesting here.

The next thing I would like to recommend is a TV mini-series Red Riding (In the Year of our Lord - 1974 (part I, 1980 part II and 1983 part III).

This is thought provoking and I don’t use this term lightly. It is a three part thriller (I believe it has some grounds in real events) about some murders that seem to have a will of their own and fight to stay uncovered.

Behind this you find a corrupt system which immobilizes the search for truth and shows, perfectly I’d say, why it does matter in the end, why it’s never harmless to let private interests spill into public ones, at least in the matters of law and justice.

It shows a long echoing of horrific events which are not depicted directly, series deals in aftermaths showing how deep and disturbing they are. It is a strong social commentary done proper.

Another recommendation is some earlier work by Denmark born director Ole Bornedal. Some of his movies got their American versions (like Nightwatch which is great) and some are American production all together (like The Possession, which I wouldn’t recommend, it is just lukewarm at best).

A really outstanding movie by Bornedal is I am Dina. It is a really good female character study about a woman haunted by the guilt of causing her mother’s death. She has been neglected by her father after the misfortunate events which only made her grow up far more self-sufficient and self-reliant.

BOTH of these are as visually stunning as they are well told. No parts, even the smallest ones, that would require your blind-eye to be directed at them.

Of course I would love some feedback if you find the will and time!
killdozzer

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Stop Motion Animation

If you're a fan of the genre, no need to introduce directors as famous as Quay brothers. If you're new to the genre or to Quay brothers, you're in for a treat. Europe was quite famous for Stop Motion (Trnka, Svankmayer etc.), and Philadelphia born twins were looking up to it. They truly understood the appeal of Stop Motion and Svankmayer was one of their role models.

They mostly direct short animated films in this fashion so I don't know which title exactly would I recommend. I'll just start with the one that swept me of my feet long time ago when I first saw it:

The name is:
This Unnameable Little Broom
upload_2016-3-27_12-30-52.jpeg

But you can start with whichever one you want. If you can find good quality DVD's of their movies, it will be a truly hypnotic, different and aesthetic experience. It is symbolic and sublime.

After this you could check out how they used their technique to explain anamorphosis in a Metropolitan Museum of Art commissioned short De Artificiali Perspectiva in collaboration with Gombrich and Cardinal:
De Artificiali Perspectiva
upload_2016-3-27_12-42-2.jpeg

I hope you'll enjoy. I wish I could see it for the first time again.:)

killdozzer

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis