So, any Audioholics going to RMAF this year?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just curious. It would be good to hear about the exhibits from one of us.

with PICS!

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
Wow, no one else?
Sorry upfront about not having pictures; I was so into listening that I never snapped a pic (even had my phone on me).

But I can give my experience:

First: SUPER crowded, was hard to get in and out of rooms. People walking in front of the speakers to ask the rep what music they were playing, and making it hard for people to just hear the equipment. I didn't stop by McIntosh just to hear someone yelling "WHAT ALBUM IS THIS? WHAT SINGER IS THIS?" :mad:

/rant over, the positives:
The lobby had some nice setups; I liked GIK acoustics' panels they had, both custom printed and wooden baffles. Quality stuff, and my wife liked how they look (currently I have a bunch of maroon-colored ATS acoustic panels in the room, I don't think she likes them)

I finally got to hear some speaker and subwoofer brands in person: Wilson Audio Hydra Denali (I think that's what they were called), Scaena speakers (HUGE tower of drivers, nice 3d sound to them, I was very impressed), and Rockport Technology Cygnus were the best speakers I heard out of the select rooms I went inside.

The SVS Prime Elevation speakers were very, very impressive in the home theater demo they had. I think I need to re-think my bookshelf-speakers-right-by-our-ears-on-the-sides-of-the-couch method of surround speakers, and do SVS Prime Elevation speakers for a much better effect (although I'm sure wiring would be a nightmare).

HSU's room had a mind-blowing subwoofer demo in their room, playing Interstellar. Was too loud and crowded in there to ask the reps any questions, but I'm glad I got to hear what all the HSU hype is about.

IsoAcoustics had a new isolation metal puck to screw into the bottom of speakers, and they had two level-matched pairs of the same brand of speakers, one with just spikes, the other with the IsoAcoustics GAIAI (again, what I think they were called). Very noticeable difference in a positive way.

I wasn't sure what to think of PSAudio and McIntosh rooms; how are you really able to tell how good the amplification components are, when you're hearing speakers you've never heard before as well? How much are you hearing the speakers as opposed to the amps, especially for the $$$$$ that McIntosh and PSAudio are?

My wife had us head over to the headphone tent called CanJam, and finally got to hear an over-the-ear earbud that she liked: some Audeze model that's coming out soon. Was really cool, 'cause that's the type of headphone she likes to use when working out.

Overall, it was fun, but crowded. Now I have upgrade fever, but I've got champagne tastes with a beer wallet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis