Smallest Sub Possible!!!

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hey there,

I know that this is not typically the quest you hear in search of a sub but I am trying to assemble an inexpensive table top system for a laptop in the kitchen. I don't have a lot of room so I am looking for the smallest sub possible - so far this is the smallest I am able to find:

Nuforce.com | Personal | Desktop | Mobile | Sub woofer

Is there any other sub out there around this size that has any resemblance of quality for less $$$.

Here's what I got so far:

Laptop
Audio Engine N22 Amp
HRT Music Streamer II DAC
JRiver MC17 playback
Paradigm Millenia 2.0 speakers

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Semantics.

I personally wouldn't call that a subwoofer. For me, a subwoofer goes lower than 50 hz. If such is the case, this gives legitimacy to what Bose calls those things they use in their systems.

Perhaps a common bass box, and as such might be useful, but definitely not a subwoofer.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Trust me, I know the spec's are not impressive, but that's not what I am most concerned with. I have absolutely zero space for a sub so I am trying to squeeze the smallest physical sized (albeit) good sub possible under a counter in the kitchen.

My speakers are pretty small so I want to take the lowest freq. stress off of them as possible. I have a main system downstairs with a Funky Waves box/LMS5400 sub so I know about low freq. I'm just trying to feed my addiction on the main level without pissing off the wife.

I just want to find a decent quality sub, the smallest footprint, for a great price!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Velodyne Micovee 6.5" subwoofer is about the smallest sub I can think of. It's pricey but a high price is common when you want small!! I can say however that I've heard the MicroVee in person & was blown away with what it's capable of when you consider it's micro size. Is it worth $800 bucks?...that's up to you! :)

I hope you find a sub that fits your needs!!!!

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
Hey there,

I know that this is not typically the quest you hear in search of a sub but I am trying to assemble an inexpensive table top system for a laptop in the kitchen. I don't have a lot of room so I am looking for the smallest sub possible - so far this is the smallest I am able to find:

Nuforce.com | Personal | Desktop | Mobile | Sub woofer

Is there any other sub out there around this size that has any resemblance of quality for less $$$.

Here's what I got so far:

Laptop
Audio Engine N22 Amp
HRT Music Streamer II DAC
JRiver MC17 playback
Paradigm Millenia 2.0 speakers

Thanks
how about something like this hidden in a kitchen cupboard under the counter top ? Amazon.com: Velodyne Impact-Mini Powered Subwoofer - Small (Black): Electronics

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Earthquake Sound just came out with the FF10. It's a small compact 10" slot ported sub that is suprisingly clean & powerful. If I needed a compact sub I'd be looking there. I can get it for $179.

A

Agarn

Audiophyte
To coin a phrase - That's not a sub...This is a sub!

SUNFIRE: 8" High Resolution Series Subwoofer
(Ps. Sorry -first post - won't let me post a link)

Ok its not as cheap as the Nuforce but you know you want one.:p

Cheers

J

jb5200

Audioholic
A lot of great options - so far the best one is the Mirage MM-6 or 8. The dimensions are 8x8x8 or 9x9x9 respectively.

That's about the only size I can fit. It is going under a really small counter 30" wide and you have to have room for your feet when you're sitting at the counter on the laptop. The Velodyne is tempting and I'm sure is by far the best option but for $800 I can't swing it - I spent $700 on the whole system so far.

I know it's not going to rattle the walls (I have a sub downstairs that does that) but I just want to take the lowest frequency pressure off the little speakers.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Do you have room to do an in wall sub mounted under the desk, right into your drywall, you would lose no space for that option, you could like mount the amp into the wall also.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
HOLY CRAP! That's an interesting idea, I never thought of that - It might be able to work, I might need to do a little more research on that. I just don't know what kind of amp or how to mount that in the wall as well and keep it around $200-$300. I think I can mount the sub in the wall and just pull up the cable behind the wall through the outlet that is above the counter.

Interesting!!!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
PartsExpress.com has some reasonably priced in wall subs!
I'd still rather have a sub in an enclosure myself but if space is a big issue as in your case then inwall is a decent option.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis