Small rooms and the KRK10s

R

RestUnknown

Audiophyte
Hi all

I have a pair of KRK RP6 G2's and recently bought a KRK10s because I wanted more punch from the bass. I primarily use them for some mixing.

They're placed in my room, so there is a closet, a small cupboard and a bed in my room which is about 4x4m (13x13ft).

Since I have the 10s and placed it around my room to find the optimum spot, I don't feel satisfied with what I was looking for. The punch I want is the same as before without the 10s. I tried different guidelines for subwoofer placement, but nothing helps.

There is definitely more bass in my room, no doubt about that, but when I turn of my monitors, I have a bass in my room that constantly 'rumbles' and vibrates every single door in my house. There is never that true kick, even when changing the crossover point.

Is this because of my room and does it need some treatment, or was I expecting too much from the 10s? I can still send it back and get my money refunded, so I'm looking for some quick answers.

Thanks!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Typically a sub will perform best in a corner. However just as typically, subs in small rooms end up with at least one nasty peak in response and need parametric equalization to tame. Lacking that, you might try 1/4-wall placement – sometimes that will tame the peak somewhat and still get good if not optimal extension.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It sounds like there might be some kind of leak in the signal if there is bass all the time.

As far as kick and sound quality goes, we would need to see a graph of your room response to see the problem. You might try a near-field placement for the subwoofer; placing it very close to your listening position.

Anyway, if you are mixing music, you would want to get a flat response, because what you are creating isn't going to be what is heard on a reference system. The bass could be wildly uneven and you wouldn't know it until you measure the response. I would be looking at a Umik mic with a miniDSP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis