Small room surround speaker suggestions

D

dave_in_gva

Audiophyte
I'm renovating our basement and relocating our home theater to a new room.

This room is 3.7m long, 3m wide with 2.1m ceilings. Listening position is 0.5m off the back wall. My use is 80/20 home theater/multi-channel music.

I can wire in for a 7.2 system and am interested in comments here on my speaker choices for the side and rear surrounds.

My fronts are Acoustic Reality Reality 3Ds (no center used). I have a pair of ACI Titan subs and have, in the old room been using my Acoustic Reality Avinci Ones as my rear surrounds in a 5.1 set up (actually 4.2 because of the phantom center and dual subs).

People here may not be familiar with Acoustic Reality gear so briefly, the Reality 3Ds, and the Avinci Ones are monopolar speakers, quite full range (Reality 3Ds are floorstanding and the Avinci Ones are largish bookshelf monitors). Both are high end speakers with Scanspeak woofers and other high end components.

I've read through alot of threads on dipole/bipole/tri/quad/omni and monopole speakers for surround duties.

My takeaway is that in a small room such as mine I may be best off with four omnipolar speakers like the Mirage OMD-5 (is this really no longer for sale?) in the side and rear surround locations.

I would be very keen to hear thoughts for speakers I should consider here.

One thing to explain is that although the room itself is quite small, I can position side and rear surrounds rather freely. I will build a bookshelf behind the listening couch and this will extend outwards towards the front of the theater room, effectively creating a cocoon around the couch.

So I can pretty much place bookshelf style speakers where I want on this bookshelf structure I will build. Nevertheless, the side surrounds will be say a meter to either side of the sweet spot listening position, perhaps a meter higher than the ears, and just behind the ears. I'd position the rear surrounds a meter above my ears and on the bookshelf at the back wall, so 50 cm behind the ears and a meter up.

While I mentioned my Avinci Ones above, I am OK to drop these entirely and put them to use elsewhere so I really am open to suggestions for 4 new speakers (I'd like to keep the budget for these at 1,000 - 1,500 € total).However, I am also open to running speaker cables to wire in 6 pairs of speakers within the bookshelf around the couch, wiring in side and rear surrounds (new speakers), and also wiring in the Avinci Ones which I would position lower down, around ear level, and then switching to a 4.2 speaker configuration when I listen to multichannel music.

Grateful for any and all suggestions,

Dave M

D

dave_in_gva

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, and thanks for the NXG suggestion. I am looking at their website now.

I am in Switzerland, but have found I can get most speaker makes here.

For surrounds I have read quite a bit of stuff on the various forums and, given the move towards some of the object-oriented audio formats etc. (thinking Atmos and Auro), I have started shying away from my original idea which was ditching my Avinci Ones and going with 4 smallish bipolars, and instead keeping the Avincis and adding an additional 4 monopolar (but small) speakers. My second sub will also be in the back of the room.

So apart from the NXG speakers, which I had not heard of before, I am looking at the smallest speakers that are not too audibly hard edged, and which will allow me to cross to my ACI Titan at 80. NHT, PSB, Ascend are all bookshelf monitor type suggestions. In wall and/or in ceiling are very doable at this stage but I haven't read positive things about these apart perhaps from models where there is an entire sealed enclosure that is also placed in wall. Open to that as well.

Heck, open to anything really as I understand it is a very small, tight space, and I am wondering about putting in up to 6 speakers back there.

Best,

Dave

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Dave If you can get Wharfedale WH-2(discontinued) on Ebay I think you will like them. I have 2 pairs as front highs/surround back:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis