Small Celestion Ditton 100 Tweeter Repair

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Hey,

My pair of Celestion Ditton 100 bookshelf speakers have an issue - it took me a little while to figure out precisely what it was (I'm not quite an audiophile...), but today I took out the tweeter on the speaker that seemed to be missing some sound. I took it out because there are small dents in the soft dome - not actually drastically changing the shape, but seemingly semi-popped out at some point from past impact to the dome. Upon further inspection with my very limited knowledge, though, I noticed that of two extremely tiny wires connecting the magnetic area of the tweeter itself to the two contacts on a small metal lip for connection, one is disconnected - broken. These wires are microscopic, though, but the only conductors I can see leading to the contacts.

So my question is pretty obvious - is this likely the problem (explaining why the tweeter does not work? It sounds even dumber now that I've typed it, but I'm new to this world still. I'm afraid to attempt to reconnect it myself because the wire is so incredibly delicate and I'm not exactly experienced with a soldering iron, but I'll take it to a repair shop for what should be a quick repair if this is most likely the issue.

I would get a picture, but it seems I've lost the SD card for my camera. I might be able to dig it up if a picture would be necessary to give any sort of straight answer.

Thank you very much in advance - I love my Celestion's and I can't wait to get them back to what they used to be!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey,

My pair of Celestion Ditton 100 bookshelf speakers have an issue - it took me a little while to figure out precisely what it was (I'm not quite an audiophile...), but today I took out the tweeter on the speaker that seemed to be missing some sound. I took it out because there are small dents in the soft dome - not actually drastically changing the shape, but seemingly semi-popped out at some point from past impact to the dome. Upon further inspection with my very limited knowledge, though, I noticed that of two extremely tiny wires connecting the magnetic area of the tweeter itself to the two contacts on a small metal lip for connection, one is disconnected - broken. These wires are microscopic, though, but the only conductors I can see leading to the contacts.

So my question is pretty obvious - is this likely the problem (explaining why the tweeter does not work? It sounds even dumber now that I've typed it, but I'm new to this world still. I'm afraid to attempt to reconnect it myself because the wire is so incredibly delicate and I'm not exactly experienced with a soldering iron, but I'll take it to a repair shop for what should be a quick repair if this is most likely the issue.

I would get a picture, but it seems I've lost the SD card for my camera. I might be able to dig it up if a picture would be necessary to give any sort of straight answer.

Thank you very much in advance - I love my Celestion's and I can't wait to get them back to what they used to be!
The Celestion Ditton, was good little speaker! That is a bad problem you have. That is not an easy fix, and will take a skilled craftsman. No one, and I mean no one, can guarantee to fix that problem. The fine wire is insulted, with an insulation that has to be scraped off with a sharp blade, or else the wire ends will not take the solder. This is best done under an operating microscope. Then the wires have to be gently and swiftly soldered. The next problem is to figure out how to insulate the repair. I have experience in these type of repairs. They are usually, but not always successful. If you can not find a skilled craftsman who has done this before, and willing to attempt it, I will give you permission to send it to me, and I will attempt to resurrect it for you. I absolutely can not guarantee success A Celestion Ditton should have a shot at salvage! I do have an operating microscope, and I don't have shaky hands yet, but I bet the day is not far off.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
The Celestion Ditton, was good little speaker! That is a bad problem you have. That is not an easy fix, and will take a skilled craftsman. No one, and I mean no one, can guarantee to fix that problem. The fine wire is insulted, with an insulation that has to be scraped off with a sharp blade, or else the wire ends will not take the solder. This is best done under an operating microscope. Then the wires have to be gently and swiftly soldered. The next problem is to figure out how to insulate the repair. I have experience in these type of repairs. They are usually, but not always successful. If you can not find a skilled craftsman who has done this before, and willing to attempt it, I will give you permission to send it to me, and I will attempt to resurrect it for you. I absolutely can not guarantee success A Celestion Ditton should have a shot at salvage! I do have an operating microscope, and I don't have shaky hands yet, but I bet the day is not far off.
Thanks for the response (and the offer)!

Sounds like a bigger deal than I'd initially figured.. I'm going to bring it in to a local speaker repair place (where that's quite literally all they do apparently), hopefully somebody there will have the skill to get it done. What risks am I taking, though? What can go fatally wrong? I can't find a replacement for the tweeter online, unfortunately. I'd have to get the other tweeter out to get the model number (the broken one has a faded number), but there's very little under 'ditton' on eBay and no tweeters that are even comparable to mine.

Yup, I love these speakers.. I contemplated picking up a new set a while ago, but I decided to get a better receiver and switch to my computer's coaxial and things sound perfect to me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the response (and the offer)!

Sounds like a bigger deal than I'd initially figured.. I'm going to bring it in to a local speaker repair place (where that's quite literally all they do apparently), hopefully somebody there will have the skill to get it done. What risks am I taking, though? What can go fatally wrong? I can't find a replacement for the tweeter online, unfortunately. I'd have to get the other tweeter out to get the model number (the broken one has a faded number), but there's very little under 'ditton' on eBay and no tweeters that are even comparable to mine.

Yup, I love these speakers.. I contemplated picking up a new set a while ago, but I decided to get a better receiver and switch to my computer's coaxial and things sound perfect to me.
Plenty can go wrong. The wire is fine and brittle. It is prone to break while you work with it. If the wire breaks too close to the voice coil to solder you are SOL.

It is just possible the speaker repair outfit may have a replacement dome and voice coil. That would be the best solution. However with the age of the speaker that's a long shot. If they offer to repair it with generic non factory parts decline the offer. It won't be the same speaker.

Your best bet of finding a used tweeter is on eBay. If you put it on your want list one might come up form someone parting out a Ditton.

You can't replace the tweeters with something different without re designing the crossovers, and then again they won't be the same speakers.

I'm afraid you have to prepare yourself for the fact those speakers may have reached the end of the road.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Plenty can go wrong. The wire is fine and brittle. It is prone to break while you work with it. If the wire breaks too close to the voice coil to solder you are SOL.

It is just possible the speaker repair outfit may have a replacement dome and voice coil. That would be the best solution. However with the age of the speaker that's a long shot. If they offer to repair it with generic non factory parts decline the offer. It won't be the same speaker.

Your best bet of finding a used tweeter is on eBay. If you put it on your want list one might come up form someone parting out a Ditton.

You can't replace the tweeters with something different without re designing the crossovers, and then again they won't be the same speakers.

I'm afraid you have to prepare yourself for the fact those speakers may have reached the end of the road.
Thanks again.

I'll have to gauge how confident the guys seem, I guess.. I'll make sure they let me know what happens in case of irreparable damage on their part.

I'll be sure to add the keywords to my eBay, I hadn't thought of that. I've seen parts similar on there in the past, maybe they'll pop up again in the future. If you do happen to come across the part anywhere or know of another palce to check, I would appreciate your letting me know!

I'm not letting these babies die, I'll resuscitate them until their (chipboard) cabinets rot. :p

Thanks again for your help!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks again.

I'll have to gauge how confident the guys seem, I guess.. I'll make sure they let me know what happens in case of irreparable damage on their part.

I'll be sure to add the keywords to my eBay, I hadn't thought of that. I've seen parts similar on there in the past, maybe they'll pop up again in the future. If you do happen to come across the part anywhere or know of another palce to check, I would appreciate your letting me know!

I'm not letting these babies die, I'll resuscitate them until their (chipboard) cabinets rot. :p

Thanks again for your help!
You can't possibly hold a repair center responsible if that repair does not work out! They likely will refuse to attempt it unless they have factory parts. As I think about it, you are perhaps more likely to find another set of speakers on eBay. In the UK at least, the Ditton was a popular speaker in its day. It may be though, they are getting to age where they are staring to bite the dust.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
You can't possibly hold a repair center responsible if that repair does not work out! They likely will refuse to attempt it unless they have factory parts. As I think about it, you are perhaps more likely to find another set of speakers on eBay. In the UK at least, the Ditton was a popular speaker in its day. It may be though, they are getting to age where they are staring to bite the dust.
I don't know if I can part with the things, but I suppose there comes a day. The other is in such great condition, though.. Well, I'll see how it plays out. Just while I have you, though, is there a similar type of speaker you would recommend of the vintage variety that I might find around? I hope it doesn't come to that, but I should maybe start looking.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't know if I can part with the things, but I suppose there comes a day. The other is in such great condition, though.. Well, I'll see how it plays out. Just while I have you, though, is there a similar type of speaker you would recommend of the vintage variety that I might find around? I hope it doesn't come to that, but I should maybe start looking.
Where are you located?

There were precious few speakers any good back then, let alone small ones! I would recommend the Jordan Watts Juno, but that might be a hard find. JWs seldom surface now, and the Far Eastern buyers bid them up like crazy. The Goodmans Maxim was not a bad speaker of that era. If you could find a Juno, you would likely prefer that to the Ditton. There were some small B & Ws of that era that were quite respectable also.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Where are you located?

There were precious few speakers any good back then, let alone small ones! I would recommend the Jordan Watts Juno, but that might be a hard find. JWs seldom surface now, and the Far Eastern buyers bid them up like crazy. The Goodmans Maxim was not a bad speaker of that era. If you could find a Juno, you would likely prefer that to the Ditton. There were some small B & Ws of that era that were quite respectable also.
I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Wow, I can barely find mention of these Jordan Watts units. I suppose my question shouldn't be restricting to old models - I'm really open to anything, but I'm in love with the sound the Dittons give me so I'd be looking for something similar. I'm not sure how things have changed over the years. As for size.. Well, I am pretty restricted to bookshelf units. These speakers are used on my main multimedia computer, so they're relatively close range - about an even 3' (I know that's not ideal, but it works for me).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Wow, I can barely find mention of these Jordan Watts units. I suppose my question shouldn't be restricting to old models - I'm really open to anything, but I'm in love with the sound the Dittons give me so I'd be looking for something similar. I'm not sure how things have changed over the years. As for size.. Well, I am pretty restricted to bookshelf units. These speakers are used on my main multimedia computer, so they're relatively close range - about an even 3' (I know that's not ideal, but it works for me).
You might want to look at these.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=213&Title=S30+loudspeaker

These will likely be the closest reincarnation of your Dittons.

with a bit more budget.

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/ranges.php?sector_id=2&range_id=9

http://www.mordauntshort.com/ranges.php?RAID=14&Title=Mezzo+

http://www.totemacoustic.com/us/products/compact/rainmaker/

That's enough for a start.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Sorry for the late response.

Those are a bit... way above my budget (I'm a student, that explains it right?) right now. I'm trying to get a hold of the people at this repair shop but they enver seem to be there. I'll have to see what they say before I can look for new ones or get my Dittons back in working order.

Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry for the late response.

Those are a bit... way above my budget (I'm a student, that explains it right?) right now. I'm trying to get a hold of the people at this repair shop but they enver seem to be there. I'll have to see what they say before I can look for new ones or get my Dittons back in working order.

Thanks!
It is your lucky month! There are a pair of Celestion Ditton tweeters for sale on eBay right now. I strongly suggest you bid on them and get them. They are in the UK, so there will be shipping costs, but those tweeters are your best bet, and you will have a spare.

The fact that the people from the speaker shop are seldom there is not a good sign.

Your BEST option is these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Celestion-Ditton-Tweeters-with-Gaskets_W0QQitemZ270225674176QQihZ017QQcategoryZ112517QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

If you like your Dittons, don't let them get away.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
It is your lucky month! There are a pair of Celestion Ditton tweeters for sale on eBay right now. I strongly suggest you bid on them and get them. They are in the UK, so there will be shipping costs, but those tweeters are your best bet, and you will have a spare.

The fact that the people from the speaker shop are seldom there is not a good sign.

Your BEST option is these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Celestion-Ditton-Tweeters-with-Gaskets_W0QQitemZ270225674176QQihZ017QQcategoryZ112517QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

If you like your Dittons, don't let them get away.
Are you sure those are the right kind? The holes look completely different.

That's the cover/mount for the tweeter on my pair. I can get a picture of my tweeters as well in an hour or two.

Thanks for looking around for me, in any case, I appreciate it! :)

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Alright, here are a few shots of the tweeter. Should help out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Alright, here are a few shots of the tweeter. Should help out.

Those eBay tweeters are for the Ditton 15. I think you have a late version of the Ditton 10, is that correct?

I have Hi - Fi Years books going to 1972, and your tweeter is different from those also.

However that picture was helpful. I see your problem. That should be fixable. It needs the enamel insulation gently scraped off the distal wire end. Then you need to solder in a piece of copper wiring up wire, so there is no tension.

I can fix that tweeter for you, with a high degree of confidence having seen the picture.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
Those eBay tweeters are for the Ditton 15. I think you have a late version of the Ditton 10, is that correct?

I have Hi - Fi Years books going to 1972, and your tweeter is different from those also.

However that picture was helpful. I see your problem. That should be fixable. It needs the enamel insulation gently scraped off the distal wire end. Then you need to solder in a piece of copper wiring up wire, so there is no tension.

I can fix that tweeter for you, with a high degree of confidence having seen the picture.
They're Ditton 100's. Here's the back of the unit:

..And the front if you're interested:

I have a feeling I've seen Ditton 100 tweeters on there before, I don't know why I would have been looking though.

I have a suspicion the speaker shop's owner is on vacation. I want to verify that on Monday. The only reason I wouldn't ship this thing off to you right now is because I hate waiting for anything to ship (true story, that's what deters me from eBay) so would rather get things done while I wait, but thank you very much for offering - really I appreciate your help on this. I'll definitely see what the shop says and you're my next resort should they seem uncertain how well they'll be able to do it.

Again, thanks a lot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They're Ditton 100's. Here's the back of the unit:

..And the front if you're interested:

I have a feeling I've seen Ditton 100 tweeters on there before, I don't know why I would have been looking though.

I have a suspicion the speaker shop's owner is on vacation. I want to verify that on Monday. The only reason I wouldn't ship this thing off to you right now is because I hate waiting for anything to ship (true story, that's what deters me from eBay) so would rather get things done while I wait, but thank you very much for offering - really I appreciate your help on this. I'll definitely see what the shop says and you're my next resort should they seem uncertain how well they'll be able to do it.

Again, thanks a lot.
They are early 80s vintage and an evolution of the Ditton 10. The extension was the S25, which in my view is one of the best book shelves ever.

V

Verd

Enthusiast
What does that mean? The extension? Extension of the 10 or 100? Obviously I don't know very much about the history of these things, but hey, I'm not old enough to have been around for it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What does that mean? The extension? Extension of the 10 or 100? Obviously I don't know very much about the history of these things, but hey, I'm not old enough to have been around for it.
The Ditton 10 appeared in the late 60s and had a number of revisions. The Ditton 15 and 25 were 3 ways. I think sometime around 1980 the 10 became the 100. The S 25 was similar size but has a polypropylene bass mid driver cone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis