Small bedroom/computer system

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking to put together a small system in my bedroom to use for music, computer games, and tv/dvd. I don't want to spend too much looking around $300 to as much as maybe $700, preferably on the lower end as most of my enjoyment is in the living room. Stereo is fine but surround would be nice with some of the games. I want to keep the system small and slim so it will fit on my computer desk, no other place for it.

I have been looking at the Onkyo TX-LR522; http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-LR552&class=Receiver&p=i receiver with either the Infinity TSS-450; http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-450CHR , Primus Home Theater System http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRIMUSTPBK , or a pair of Primus 150s http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRIMUS150BKS

I was also looking at this Onkyo shelf system http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?class=Audiosys&m=CS-V720S&p=i as it will play almost anything I could throw at it and has inputs for my DirecTV receiver. Size is of the biggest concern here or I would go with a nice HK or Marantz unit with bigger speakers. Had even thought of going with the Onkyo 303 with the Infinity 450s that are on sale at CC for $450 for the whole set, but not sure about the 303 size.

Thanks,

Steve

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If it's just going to be for the computer, you might think of a nice set of stereo computer speakers, such as these. They're not going to give you super-deep bass response, but they'll do well for music and should be just fine for background or low-medium listening.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Have a 5.1 set of Logitech that I'm using right now that are fine for the computer stuff and the TV, but I want to take the TV card out of the computer so a seperate system is needed. I would also like to be able to listen to some background music while playing games and a seperate system would make that easier, not to mention my wife would like not having the living room system cranked so I can hear it in the bed room.

Steve

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ohh. Okay. How small do the speakers have to be? You say small and slim, but that's fairly subjective. I'm thinking bookshelves, but for some people those would be too large.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I'm thinking about bookshelves but really think they'll be too big. I'm even thinking the little Primus 140 in the set may be larger than I want. The little sats in the TSS-450 set are about the size of a can of veggies, that would be a great size, the main reason I'm looking at them, would have to hear them first though as I don't know how they'll sound to me. I don't want to spend too much on these as I'm planning on buying either the new SVS set up or the Ascend 170s for the living room in the next month or so.

Steve

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the recommendations Jaxvon. The Hsu is an excellent setup, though I should clarify a bit, I want the smaller sats but they will likely be wall mounted but the center will have to reside on my desk under the monitor, the Hsu center is huge, though the sats are perfect. I have been looking at the HK 135 and a couple of Yammies as well, but again am just trying to keep the size down more than anything. I like the look and the size of the HK DPR-1001, but not the price. It looks a bit bigger than the little Onkyo but has better specs overall and I would assume better sound as it is an HK.

Steve

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, I had neglected to think about the HK digital receivers. Those save quite a bit of space. Panasonic makes some highly regarded ones as well.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I forgot all about the Panny. I've heard alot of good about them as well. Although I've been really tempted to go with a cheap HTiB, some of the Panasonics included. I want better SQ than I'd get with those plus the upgradeability in case I have more room when we move. That is yet another reason I don't want to drop a whole lot into it, though the receiver will carry over easier I think as I can find a bit more room for it by moving a printer to my wifes computer since she is the only one that uses it anyway.

Steve

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
This little Panny seems to be the one to go with from a price/performance stand point. It is a bit higher in price than I was looking for but still in reason, small size and very favorable reviews and unlike the Onkyo, more readily available. The main negative I've been able to find about it is ease of use and remote control, I've been into home theater for nearly 15 years and have used a wide range of equipment so I think I could figure this out.

Now I just have to look around and decide on some speakers. Maybe I'll just go with some small bookshelves and run stereo and leave the computer coming through the Logitechs for now.

Steve

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Brandst said:
Thanks Buckeye, hadn't thought to look at Denon as what I had seen was more than I wanted to pay. That suggestion makes a decision a bit tougher now.

The Panny that I was looking at, since I forgot to post the link, is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPW/sr=1-1/qid=1132011564/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2914208-0011153?_encoding=UTF8

It looks like it would do everything I need and then some.

Steve
You can't beat that receiver, especially if you open up an Amazon credit card. $200 for a unit that gets praises up and down at most forums - I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it's sound. That Panny in black is even nicer IMO.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, real tough to decide which color to go with, they are both sharp and they both match the black and silver components of my computer system. Now all I have to do is decide how I want to do the speakers, have a Pioneer universal player coming that can pull the source duty, may just have to go with bookshelves for stereo and keep my current computer speakers.

Steve

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis