Skyrim: PC version first-glance

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I have made a mage, dark elf race. I've recently acquired perk to allow 2 zombies/atronochs. Summon (2) daedra lords is some serious asskicking. Also have acquired the master level destruction spells: Blizzard, Fire Storm, and Lightning Storm... these are a lot of fun. Finally some master level destruction spells that look like what you'd expect a badass wizard to cast.

Is there any way to reduce casting time ?

I'm also looking for some good armor options that are not considered armor... robes are an example of this, but I need some non-armor options for head/face, boots, etc... for a caster. I've got this awesome mask that has 100 mana regen but it is light armor and therefore if I wear it I can't take advantage of the Mage Armor perk.

Conjuration pets/zombies serve as a really nice, and necessary distraction for a pure magic user. I've found at later levels my human companions that join my cause seem to quickly find theirselves casualties of my finger wiggling.
Master level conjuration spells are fun but I find myself using daedra lords and reanimate undead spells more often as they are pretty powerful. Permanent atronochs and human zombies are pretty sweet too.

The Avoid Death perk you can get by having a 90 skill in restoration is pretty awesome for pure casters with low hit points and high mana pools. Once a day heal for 250 hp automatically when you go below 10% health is pretty awesome especially if you have <250 hp... I plan on going all mana increases and then bumping my hp up to 250.

Finishing out my last 13 perks or so in sneak/dagger.

I'm looking forward to making a bruiser of a melee class after this... so those who have played a melee, which is more fun one handers or two handers?

One other reason I greatly enjoy the PC version is the console commands! You can do just about anything with them. Accidentally kill npc, resurrect them. Give yourself a 1000000 gold or whatever item. Unlock any door if you run out of lockpicks... I hate farming gold and running out of lockpicks deep inside a dungeon so that may be cheap but it makes it a lot more enjoyable for me. If you resurrect an npc that you kill, you need to talk with them to get them to follow you again... otherwise they'll just start making their way back to wherever you found them and whatever they were doing before they joined your cause.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Some of the Dragon battles are easy, it gets a little tougher when you take on a Blood Dragon and for a really good battle go to Shearpoint to take on a Dragon and a Dragon priest. I just downloaded patch 1.02 it seems to have addressed the ram issue with the PS3.

(Update)

Here's a list of issues that are addressed with the latest Skyrim patch.

• Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PS3 only)
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
If you go to the Bethesda forums, it doesn't look like the patch has fixed anything on the 360 and PS3 and might have caused more issues on the PS3.

This is one of the most broken and unstable games I have every played in terms of freezing, framerate issues, glitchy AI. I wont be downloading this patch version.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you go to the Bethesda forums, it doesn't look like the patch has fixed anything on the 360 and PS3 and might have caused more issues on the PS3.

This is one of the most broken and unstable games I have every played in terms of freezing, framerate issues, glitchy AI. I wont be downloading this patch version.
Sounds like it was made for the PC mainly. I just finished Dragon Age 2 so I might check out skyrim.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like it was made for the PC mainly. I just finished Dragon Age 2 so I might check out skyrim.
The PC is the same buggy mess as the other platforms - crashing, lag, glitches, broken quests. I don't know if a patch has been released for the PC yet.

As for being made for the PC, the user interface is definitely made for console.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The PC is the same buggy mess as the other platforms - crashing, lag, glitches, broken quests. I don't know if a patch has been released for the PC yet.

As for being made for the PC, the user interface is definitely made for console.
I've heard it was a great game. I hadn't heard about it crashing.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
There is a long thread about the PC crashing issues.

Crashes during gameplay - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Here is the PC subforum for Skryim in which you can read a lot of the issues with the PC platform.

PC - Bethesda Softworks Forums

I usually read the Bethesda forums and Gamespot Skryim subforums on a daily basis because I have experienced a lot of crashing and bugs/glitches myself playing on the console version.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Forums on Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3 - GameSpot.com

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai

I agree the patch has only made things worse, I never had the game freeze on me until I downloaded the patch. One glitch that caught me off guard and had me laughing was having a courier show up to deliver something in his underwear.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Are you pc users who are having crashes running vista32/64? My last rig would crash like crazy running fallout new vegas on vista 64. Fallout vegas uses the same engine as skyrim, so is possible windows 7 may resolve crash issues. It did on my old pc after installing windows 7 on it. Compatibility mode/running as admin did not resolve vegas crash issues on vista64, but windows 7 64 did. I dont have the old rig to see if issues are OS related.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I have a PS3 version and have the patch installed. Pre & post patch, I haven't had too many glitches that I've noticed. A couple of my armor displays seem to turn invisible when I put armor on there and if I power attack someone sleeping on a bed, it knocks them straight through to under the bed. Had one freeze and one time when it wouldn't load as well.

All in all, it seems less glitchy to me than previous Bethesda games I've played. Fallout: New Vegas was basically unplayable early on for me before it got patched.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I like walking into homes and finding people standing on their beds.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Bethesda is gearing up for the next patch, here is what was said on Bethesda Blog

This week we released update 1.2 across all platforms, and we’ll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon. Once the update is released, we’ll share the full release notes.

After the holidays, we’ll continue to release regular updates for the game — through full title updates, as well as incremental “gameplay updates” to fix whatever issues come up along with rebalancing portions of the game for difficulty or exploits. We plan on having a lot of these, not just a few. Overall, you should expect updates to be hitting the PC and Steam earlier and more often, as that’s a process we control. Console updates will follow, as they must be certified and processed by those manufacturers.

We all know this is a huge game, and everyone has a different experience. We’ll continue to do everything we can to make the game better and better for as many people as possible every day. We’ve also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this. To be safe, we are prioritizing code side fixes right now over data fixes. Quest and balance issues are usually data, and those will start rolling in a large way with the January updates.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Update to my post above:

Played quite a bit now and I'm starting to have a lot more glitches and slowdown, especially after playing for about 45 min. Hopefully the new patch will take care of it...

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
About 80 hours in and the game freezes within a 2 hour period pretty much everytime. Very frustrating. I'm losing interest fast.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
PC? The latest patch applied? it has helped me quite a lot with crashes. Still not near as bad as fallout vegas was and still is. That games lame anyway lol.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
About 80 hours in and the game freezes within a 2 hour period pretty much everytime. Very frustrating. I'm losing interest fast.
I used to frustrated like you ... then I took an arrow to the knee

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis