Single Driver Center Channel

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Based on the recommendation from Dr. Mark I've decided to try out a single driver center channel. This center will utilize a fairly unique driver. It is an old Jordan Watts Module that I purchased from him. Below are some pictures he sent of the driver. I'm planning on external dimensions of 8.5"H X 11.5"W X 10.5"D made from 3/4" MDF. I wanted to minimize the height as much as possible without restricting the driver, but since the module is 6" tall 8.5" external is about as short as I dare go. It will be sealed with heavy fill. I'd love to hear any comments on the driver or design. Cheers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's my thought - have Mark send the driver pre-packaged. :)

Congrats on the new project! I saw the conversation between you two on the other thread...it just didn't occur to me that his driver was for sale. On a related note, I'm a little hurt that you didn't buy my amp, instead. :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't realize it either......until he offered :) I figured that going for the original was a much better proposition than waiting for the knockoff, which has a completely different suspension.

How about we work out a trade instead of a purchase? Your Emo for a Threshold S/300e? No? Shucks. Oh well at least I tried :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Based on the recommendation from Dr. Mark I've decided to try out a single driver center channel. This center will utilize a fairly unique driver. It is an old Jordan Watts Module that I purchased from him. Below are some pictures he sent of the driver. I'm planning on external dimensions of 8.5"H X 11.5"W X 10.5"D made from 3/4" MDF. I wanted to minimize the height as much as possible without restricting the driver, but since the module is 6" tall 8.5" external is about as short as I dare go. It will be sealed with heavy fill. I'd love to hear any comments on the driver or design. Cheers.

I think you are OK on the height, that will leave 1/2" either side of the module.

What I don't like is that all dimensions are close and internal reflections will tend to reinforce.

If you can, I would lower the depth to 4.5" or so, and increase the width to around 17".

The box is plenty big, so you could reduce the width to 16". That would give you a 2/1 H/W ratio which would be excellent.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll redo the sizing then, should be fine. Do I need any bracing, minimal bracing?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'll redo the sizing then, should be fine. Do I need any bracing, minimal bracing?
Are you doing a TL build?

For a standard build bracing is a good idea. It's not a necessity, but it does help.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Are you doing a TL build?

For a standard build bracing is a good idea. It's not a necessity, but it does help.
No TL build just yet. This is going to be a sealed center.

I definitely want to try a TL build, be it speaker or subwoofer. I'd also like to do a line array, maybe even a curvilinear one as well. So many possible builds, so little time and funds :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

This is how I've made my rib bracing matrix before with Texas Red Oak.

1 horizontal, 2 right to left, and 2 front to back should work for you. Be sure they are interlocked. You can also use panels if you are trying to save costs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If you have room for the bracing. That is a small box crossing over at 90 Hz so I don't think it is vital. It will also make the box bigger and one of the points of this project is a nice small box. Don't forget, as you increase the size of the panels, you need more bracing!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Dr. Mark and lsiberian. I'll have to see how much room I've got in there. As Mark noted the box is small, so there may not be enough room for bracing like that, but I can at least give the longer panels a little something without displacing too much volume. I got my pieces cut today, but forgot that I needed to fix my CRB router thing so routing will have to wait until tomorrow.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I got the bracing cut today and I also started on the driver cut out based on Dr. Mark's dimensions. Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the driver cut out and the edges and hopefully start gluing a few pieces together.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got one piece glued so far, hoping to get two or three more on after Mother's Day dinner.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Soooo I discovered a small leak in my workshop area...and by leak I mean I opened the door to find a pile of soaking MDF where my almost box used to be. So here we go again! :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I sure hope so. I must've learned something since this box seemed to fit together much more easily than the first one. I also decided to skip the two small braces I had in the last one so it's moving along pretty quickly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I sure hope so. I must've learned something since this box seemed to fit together much more easily than the first one. I also decided to skip the two small braces I had in the last one so it's moving along pretty quickly.
Good thing it is a small box.

You must have had a lot of rain out there and had ground water seepage I suppose.

Good luck with the new box.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Soooo I discovered a small leak in my workshop area...and by leak I mean I opened the door to find a pile of soaking MDF where my almost box used to be. So here we go again! :D
I feel your pain. It's not fun having to start over just be thankful you aren't using CLD.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Good thing it is a small box.

You must have had a lot of rain out there and had ground water seepage I suppose.

Good luck with the new box.
Part of the problem was leaving it open side up so it caught and held the water leaking in. I think the water may have been pooling a bit up on the roof as well. In any case, I agree, I'm glad it's a small box.

I feel your pain. It's not fun having to start over just be thankful you aren't using CLD.
Thanks. Yea, I'm glad I'm just using scrap MDF from the sub builds so my only investment so far has been in the driver :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I got it assembled today and I just got it hooked up. So I'm doing my demoing as I type this. So far so good. It sure is ugly, but hopefully I'll figure out how to use my HVLP guns and get it painted.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis