Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Both Yamaha and Marantz make "network receivers with CD players" with small footprints.
If this is a priority, maybe one of these would work?

Marantz - $600. Roughly 12" square:

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-M-CR611-Receiver-Bluetooth-Internet/dp/B013647DN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497988741&sr=8-1&keywords=marantz+m-cr611+network+cd+receiver

Yamaha - $500. 8.5x11.5":

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-CRX-N560BL-Micro-Component/dp/B00FNK8SY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497989398&sr=8-1&keywords=YAMAHA+CRX-N560

Unfortunately you pay a premium for the low volume production niche markets of these units as compared to mainstream AVRs at the same price.
For instance, this Yamaha has a power rating of only 32 watts/ch at 6 ohms. This means it would put out between 20 and 25 watts max. for an 8 ohm load. Definitely not a good buy for the asking price.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
When I first started reading this thread the first thing I thought was the little amp I got from PE. IIRC, with the power supply I chose, it is putting out somewhere like 25 wpc with the meager power supply I got with it. I hooked it up to my Tempests using my AVR's pre outs thru the little amp and that was possibly my first real clue as to how little power, sensitive speakers require. It was bloody loud and actually sounded quite nice, much to my surprise. Also looks ridiculous something so tiny making that much noise.

I haven't messed with it further because it is a Frankenstein rig without an enclosure and I went off in another direction down the rabbit cave or two somehow since.

This thread actually reminded me I have that amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, the NAD C326 Bee has a reasonably small foot print and I have seen prices below $400 brand new before. I don't recommend one with build in DAC for an integrated amp. There are more options to suit your needs if you go the external route.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
When I first started reading this thread the first thing I thought was the little amp I got from PE. IIRC, with the power supply I chose, it is putting out somewhere like 25 wpc with the meager power supply I got with it. I hooked it up to my Tempests using my AVR's pre outs thru the little amp and that was possibly my first real clue as to how little power, sensitive speakers require. It was bloody loud and actually sounded quite nice, much to my surprise. Also looks ridiculous something so tiny making that much noise.

I haven't messed with it further because it is a Frankenstein rig without an enclosure and I went off in another direction down the rabbit cave or two somehow since.

This thread actually reminded me I have that amp.
Yeah, one of the keys here is the excellent efficiency of those amp topologies! You just can't get that kind of efficiency from an old-school amp design. Of course, there are always advantages/disadvantages.

Since you are somewhat easily persuaded in this hobby ;);):p:p:D:D

I'm gonna throw out another idea--You COULD build your next set of speakers with built-in amps :cool: using some of those little boards, etc.

Then, you just need a signal and power for the speakers, and some type of volume control. You could even go the route of many computer speakers where 1 speaker has the amp, and the other one is just a pig-tail to the passive speaker.

Anyway, I have been considering a build like that for quite a while, just never got around to it.....yet ;)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, one of the keys here is the excellent efficiency of those amp topologies! You just can't get that kind of efficiency from an old-school amp design. Of course, there are always advantages/disadvantages.

Since you are somewhat easily persuaded in this hobby ;);):p:p:D:D

I'm gonna throw out another idea--You COULD build your next set of speakers with built-in amps :cool: using some of those little boards, etc.

Then, you just need a signal and power for the speakers, and some type of volume control. You could even go the route of many computer speakers where 1 speaker has the amp, and the other one is just a pig-tail to the passive speaker.

Anyway, I have been considering a build like that for quite a while, just never got around to it.....yet ;)
I have never really been a fan of the active speaker scene. Even my subwoofer I chose an external amp because a plate amp in that environment just seemed like an iffy idea for the long term. I come from the generation of long term appliances. Subjecting something to unnecessary heat and vibration just seems problematic, that follows a little too closely with the modern trend of everything being disposable due to relatively poor design based on convenience, more than practicality.

I'm still looking at those gain clone amps. I may get the bug to build one. Being audio-satisfied does tend to lend a bit to procrastination with such things. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have never really been a fan of the active speaker scene. Even my subwoofer I chose an external amp because a plate amp in that environment just seemed like an iffy idea for the long term. I come from the generation of long term appliances. Subjecting something to unnecessary heat and vibration just seems problematic, that follows a little too closely with the modern trend of everything being disposable due to relatively poor design based on convenience, more than practicality.

I'm still looking at those gain clone amps. I may get the bug to build one. Being audio-satisfied does tend to lend a bit to procrastination with such things. :)
Agreed!

Yeah, I stopped building amps when I realized I had more amps than speakers ;)

Never built a set of speakers, I have done some Infinity Primus modding.

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
Rega is perfect for sensitive speakers like yours. Very compact too. I have an older Brio3 with Rega Ela speakers. They're fantastic for the music you listen to. Another great compact option would be the NAD D 3020. That one also happens to have a really nice built in DAC. Better than your current external DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That amp might go for a reasonable price. How does it rate vs the Rega Brio or Brio R?
All Quad gear sounds excellent, and is highly reliable. f it should give trouble there are numerous options for service. It is also particularly good if you want to play LPs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, the NAD C326 Bee has a reasonably small foot print and I have seen prices below $400 brand new before. I don't recommend one with build in DAC for an integrated amp. There are more options to suit your needs if you go the external route.
PENG,

If someone buys a Blu-ray player which has no analog audio output, he will be happy that his integrated amp with a built-in DAC can be connected to it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG,

If someone buys a Blu-ray player which has no analog audio output, he will be happy that his integrated amp with a built-in DAC can be connected to it.
Of course, that's what I thought too until I started going the external DAC route.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis