Significant Upgrade to Fronts?

bsodmike

bsodmike

Audioholic Intern
Hey there guys,

first of all: Happy New Year :)

I'm making a new thread on this based on kind advice from Sheep (heh interesting nick)...

I've just got my HT setup (well partially) and am interested in the advice and comments of the fellow members of this community on my current choices. I have the B&W 602 S3s as my front speakers, 601 S3s as the rear and a very nice LCR600 for the centre, along with a ASW675 sub.

Before I got the the 602 S3s I was really wanting the floor standing 604 S3s (mmmmmmmm) but due to their size I couldn't get a pair. However, I maybe able to now order these directly from B&W Singapore/Hong Kong. I've seen the ultra sweet fronts from RBH that Gene uses in his setup and that price tag is really 'out there' and I'm not sure I'd even like to commit so much to the fronts.

My plans are as follows:

a) Get another set of 601 S3s, and add a rear surround channel, for 7.1 compliance
b) Shift the current 601 S3s to the rear surround spot and shift the 602 S3s to the surround spot - Now install 'much better' pair for the centres....604 S3s maybe?

You advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
--Mike

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Unless I'm mistaken, you've already set up a 5.1 system so all you need to do is add the 604s (b).

2 - 604
2 - 602
2 - 601
1 -600
7.1 - 675

bsodmike

bsodmike

Audioholic Intern
Ah sorry, I don't have the 604s just yet. So it is 5.1 right now. I've ordered the Rotel RB1080 to power the 604s and am considering adding a RB1070, in bridged mode will give 390W which far exceeds the 150W rating of my LCR600 centre. With enough attenuation on the channel level it should run fine.

--Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
How big is your room? Towers are not that necessary if you have a good sub. A say get another pair of 601's and use them are rears. I used to use towers, and I hear no change in sound when I got my Bookshelfs.

Your sub is more then enough to fill in the low end.

As for amps, Just power the mains and center. The rears can be powered fine off the receiver. Also, you should see if you can get a 3 channel amp, and not bridge the center channel. 390watts is alot of watts. When you turn it up, the center will be getting double what your mains are.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis