Sideways or Upright Speaker Placement

S

snkR

Audiophyte
Hi friends. Take it easy on me - my first post. Wanted to first say THANKS to this site and its members for making so much detailed technical info available. -Your discussions prompted me to buy much better speakers than I originally was planning for.

I know there are some prior post re this issue, but I'm not sure they apply to my setup:

I have the Atlantic Technology 2400 surround 5.1 (with a Bic sub-woofer) about two weeks ago and have been positively amazed by its sound in my very large room (16L x 24W x 12H).

Question is this: Will I lose any sound quality (in either music or home theater) by laying my front left and right speakers horizontally rather than vertically?

I have very limited space for placement of these two speakers, despite the large room.

Sorry if this is a duplicate question, I'm just not sure if my Atlantic Technology speakers fall in the same category as other responses. From my research, the Appolito issue may not be that important?

Thanks

PS - I use a Denon E400 and ran Audessey.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
IIRC, it won't change how they sound on axis. However, the further you go left and right off axis, the worse it will sound. When they're standing upright they should have a reasonable off axis response and the vertical window should be at least alright within a 30 degree window which is usually more than enough since you try to place the speakers at ear height. When you lay them flat, you transfer that narrow vertical listening window to the horizontal plane which will reduce the sound quality. However, if you can't hear a difference between the two, then don't worry about it.

S

snkR

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick response. Because I do have a pretty wide seating arrangement (off-axis seating) in my listening area, it may be better to keep the L/Rs upright? Due to limited space for speaker placement, I can't place the L/Rs more than five feet apart...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the quick response. Because I do have a pretty wide seating arrangement (off-axis seating) in my listening area, it may be better to keep the L/Rs upright? Due to limited space for speaker placement, I can't place the L/Rs more than five feet apart...
How wide is your seating area and how far is it from the front two speakers?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have the Atlantic Technology 2400 surround 5.1 (with a Bic sub-woofer) about two weeks ago and have been positively amazed by its sound in my very large room (16L x 24W x 12H).

Question is this: Will I lose any sound quality (in either music or home theater) by laying my front left and right speakers horizontally rather than vertically?

PS - I use a Denon E400 and ran Audessey.
The 2400 is a mtm bookshelf - when you turn it sideways you will loose the vertical imaging
and soundstage - when you turn it horizontal it will act like a mtm center channel, with the
tweeter in the center (between the woofers) it will not be real good - with the lobing effect.
However, it may still sound OK/nice to you.

Losing the soundstage effect, would annoy me.

A

arnoldys

Banned
on amazon.com

1. Anker® USB 3.0 Dual Display Universal Docking Station with DVI/HDMI of up to 2048 x 1152, Audio, Gigabit Ethernet...
2. Energy Speaker Systems 72-21168 RC-LCR Center Speaker (Black)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

snkR

Audiophyte
How wide is your seating area and how far is it from the front two speakers?
My seating area is about 12 feet wide, and about 16 feet from the front speakers. I know it's not ideal, but I created pretty sweet spot by using Audessey, and I make sure I'm the one who's sitting in that spot when watching movies (wink).

Regarding "lobing", I found a decent (if accurate) article on Wiki about MTM arrangements. I really hate to give up any vertical imaging or to lose any proper dynamics. On the contrary, despite my gigantic room and tiny space for front speakers, I want to make it sound as good as possible. I'm no audiophile but I have a ridiculously discerning ear.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The center issue is mitigated by having the R&L speakers, however the issue would be with placing those horizontally. I had zero issues with my MTMs for nearly the last 10 years, but my mains were vertical not horizontal.

P

Pepito

Enthusiast
As you just received your system I suppose you have not "optimized" all the wiring etc .... (JUst like me...) so, it is the right moment to make a trial.
Horizontal... Listen music/movie
Vertical... Listen music/movie
If you notice significant change... make your wife aprticipate to the decision.
Always better to validate decision/budget!!

;)

S

snkR

Audiophyte
Since you already know about benefits of the D'Appolito configuration and impact of lobbing, it puts you ahead of the curve in terms of understanding the pros and cons. Here is a good article with measurements for MTM speaker placed horizontal, Vertical vs Horizontal Center Channel Speaker Designs – An Alternate Perspective | Audioholics.

Why not just try it and see for yourself?
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to find this for me. Can't wait to put my ear to this. I love it that other people care about sound as much (and more) than I. Thanks all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis