Side firing woofers on towers

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What are the pros and cons of sidefiring woofers on towers. Is it the bigger soundstage you get from side firing or what?

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
It allows a speaker design with relatively narrow face and a large woofer. It's another type of compromise as well as any other speaker designs. A properly executed design with well made crossover will sound great and a bad crossover with for example high enough crossover point for the side firing woofer will create a havoc of standing waves and cancellations. As far as side firing vs front firing I'd imagine a front firing base speaker may have a slight advantage in the crossover design flexibility and probably a slightly better upper base/lower midrange.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
[
QUOTE=R-Carpenter;571390]It allows a speaker design with relatively narrow face and a large woofer. It's another type of compromise as well as any other speaker designs. A properly executed design with well made crossover will sound great and a bad crossover with for example high enough crossover point for the side firing woofer will create a havoc of standing waves and cancellations. As far as side firing vs front firing I'd imagine a front firing base speaker may have a slight advantage in the crossover design flexibility and probably a slightly better upper base/lower midrange.[/QUOTE
]
I use side firing towers for my surrounds. When ever somebody stops over and checks out my system these towers always get the most attention. They sound that good. I was actualy thinking about replacing my front towers with these below.
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/83triline.html

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
[QUOTE said:
just-some-guy;571452]are these a/vphiles that are stopping by ?
[/QUOTE]
Yes they are. These are not cheap did cost me $2200.00.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You got me on that one.
The problem with side firing woofers, is that to do a good job, active crossovers are pretty much essential. Side firing woofers require a low crossover point, below 350 Hz, and passive solutions are expensive and less than ideal even if correctly designed.

With side firing woofers and and a crossover point appropriate for passive crossovers, good driver integration is not possible.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
With side firing woofers and and a crossover point appropriate for passive crossovers, good driver integration is not possible.
[/QUOTE]
TLS Guy
I think you kind of answered my question. And I thank you for that.

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
The problem with side firing woofers, is that to do a good job, active crossovers are pretty much essential. Side firing woofers require a low crossover point, below 350 Hz, and passive solutions are expensive and less than ideal even if correctly designed.

Or perhaps if the sidefiring woofer crossed around 100hzwith either active crossover or IT actually being a subwoofer with an amp? But then again it becomes a subwoofer at that point. Yeah passive crossover in this case is far from being ideal or cheap.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Or perhaps if the sidefiring woofer crossed around 100hzwith either active crossover or IT actually being a subwoofer with an amp? But then again it becomes a subwoofer at that point. Yeah passive crossover in this case is far from being ideal or cheap.
Thanks for all your input. I am getting quiet an education on this, which none of it I am aware of. Crossovers I really don't have a good understanding of, I know how they work and what they do, but that's about as far as it goes. So in the model below it would be considered a sub, right? Not a woofer. I have to say you guys are good at this.

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/83triline.html

Last edited:
M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I have the DefTech BP7001sc and let me tell you the good and the bad.

Good - room filling mid bass that is very powerful and beacsue it is used in stereo configuration, set-up is very easy.

Bad - Although DefTech claims each tower has a Supercube 1 with 1500 watt amp[ in each tower. DT claims it will go down to 13Hz. Mine drops like a rock after 30Hz, so from 30hz-80Hz (internal crossover point) the bass is very tight, well controlled and can be adjusted very loud (I have mine set at 12:00 and it is very loud) but below 30Hz the bass becomes muddy and I get this overbloated bassy sound.

So since my reciever only can go as low as 40Hz before it sets the speaker to large. I have to use the tower woofers as mid bass drivers (which to me defeats the purpose of having built in subs. I should have looked hard for a BP30 speaker and saved some money but considering I got these at about the cost of the BP30's I can't complain. But if I had to do it over again. I would use the money for towers and gotten some great non woofer towers or great low extending bookshelves and put the saved money into a great sub.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have the DefTech BP7001sc and let me tell you the good and the bad.

Good - room filling mid bass that is very powerful and beacsue it is used in stereo configuration, set-up is very easy.

Bad - Although DefTech claims each tower has a Supercube 1 with 1500 watt amp[ in each tower. DT claims it will go down to 13Hz. Mine drops like a rock after 30Hz, so from 30hz-80Hz (internal crossover point) the bass is very tight, well controlled and can be adjusted very loud (I have mine set at 12:00 and it is very loud) but below 30Hz the bass becomes muddy and I get this overbloated bassy sound.

So since my reciever only can go as low as 40Hz before it sets the speaker to large. I have to use the tower woofers as mid bass drivers (which to me defeats the purpose of having built in subs. I should have looked hard for a BP30 speaker and saved some money but considering I got these at about the cost of the BP30's I can't complain. But if I had to do it over again. I would use the money for towers and gotten some great non woofer towers or great low extending bookshelves and put the saved money into a great sub.
I use Powertowers for my front mains. 2-8" subs build in with 400 watt amps. They do sound good but like you say they sound a little muddy (set at 12 o'clock), but for the money I have to agree with you because the top is a tweeter and 8" midbass or mid range, so it's really a bookshelf speaker. I have been turning my subs on the towers off and only using the top. I also use two regular subs which sounds better. I could have safed me some money on this. I am not saying they sound bad but just not tight enough for me. I own these for about 10 years and I guess I am getting tired of them and just looking for an excuse to get something new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis