Should I use a grey projector screen in a completely dark room to improve black level?

K

Karn

Audiophyte
I have a completely dark theater room (no windows, all surfaces painted matte black) and am planning on getting a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector.

I know that a white screen is typically used in a dark room, but based on reviews I've read, the Sony has good but not excellent black levels. Would using a light grey (advertised 1.0 gain) or medium grey (advertised 0.95 gain) screen give me the jump in black level I want without sacrificing other components of image quality?

I haven't decided on screen size but I want to buy from Silver Tickets and the smallest I'll go is 120" and the largest is 150" which gives me an image brightness range of 17 fL - 13 fL with a 1.0 gain screen according to Projector Central's calculator (although Silver Tickets' white screens are advertised to be 1.1 gain, a Wirecutter review is adamant they are 1.0 gain, so their grey screens could also have a lower than advertised gain).

I plan to use the projector for 2D-only content including movies, gaming, and TV shows.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If your room is dark then no need for a grey one a white one will be good enough. I would not go bigger than 120. Mine 100inch and sit 10 feet away perfect view.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is always recommended to use a white screen and correct the room. A grey screen will typically have .8 gain or less. If it adds gain then it does so with the surface, which reduces viewing angle, and may introduce shimmering or hot-spotting.

An ideal 1.0 white surface in a darkened room with proper paint and treatments is, by far, the ideal setup and what is recommended by screen manufacturers (except those with ALR screens who want to sell you $3,000 screens that look like crap).

Use a standard of 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. Preferably try the projector on your wall before buying a screen to ensure you are happy with the size you end up with.

I would like to get a Sony to use with a 161" diagonal which I will view from about 14 to 19 feet away.

Black levels of the Sony are pretty darn good actually. Not JVC good, but about as good as they come for scene to scene use.

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
Dark room...White screen
Lighted room...Gray screen
A lot of light...Black screen

120 is perfect for screen size.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis