Should I use 2 surge power strips?

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Should I use one surge protection power strips? Or one for the AVR, BDP, & TV, with a second one for a single subwoofer?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The best surge protection is whole home surge protection at the AC power service entrance/main breaker box. If you feel that you must use point of use surge protection, only use one protector for the A/V system. If you have a large system powered from more than one AC wall outlet, make sure that all the surge protectors are the same brand and model.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My sub and amp both said no surge suppressor is necessary on them as their devices have their own protection circuitry similar to what a surge suppressor already offers. So read your manual, your sub may also recommend direct to the wall.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Best practice: use a whole house device at the breaker panel to catch surges from outside and use smaller, local protection at the system to catch the surges and spikes from lights/motors/induction inside of the house from refrigerator, HVAC, dishwasher, etc. Frequent, smaller spikes damage components cumulatively, rather than in one event.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Best practice: use a whole house device at the breaker panel to catch surges from outside and use smaller, local protection at the system to catch the surges and spikes from lights/motors/induction inside of the house from refrigerator, HVAC, dishwasher, etc. Frequent, smaller spikes damage components cumulatively, rather than in one event.
Not possible if you live in an apartment complex. (the "whole house device"). Doubtful the landlord would be happy.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not possible if you live in an apartment complex. (the "whole house device"). Doubtful the landlord would be happy.
They might if they realized how much damage it could prevent. They're not terribly expensive, either.

I wrote 'best practice'- that doesn't mean it's absolutely going to happen. The voltage/current from a surge is diverted, it can't just go nowhere- it's energy and that can't be created or destroyed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis