O

offtheroad

Audiophyte
Don't know if I'm in the correct area. I have a B&W Reference 200.2 S2 Power amp and a B&K Reference 5 S2 Preamp and a ROTEL RCD 971 CD player. Paradigm 100 speakers biwired. The kick is just not there.I have the speakers 8 inches from wall and 10 feet apart. There is a loudness button on preamp but makes everything mushey. There is also a tune up and tune down buttons on pre amp but can't hear them doing anything. I have a lot of hrd areas in my living room with hardwood floors (ugh) with as many carpets I can fit in but still about 15% floor area not covered.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you are not happy with the sound, there are two things that may help. First, make sure you are doing the best you can with the positioning of the speakers and with rugs and so forth. In other words, deal with the acoustics of your space as best you can. Other than that, replacing the speakers would be the next thing to do. But the best speakers ever made will not sound great in a bad listening environment, so make sure you do not have any nasty echos or other such problems with your space before you buy new speakers. I would strongly recommend not bothering with a new preamp, CD player, or power amp (unless the speakers you end up with require something more). Unless one of them is actually malfunctioning, any "improvements" you could get from replacing them is likely to be imaginary.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Other than that, replacing the speakers would be the next thing to do. But the best speakers ever made will not sound great in a bad listening environment, so make sure you do not have any nasty echos or other such problems with your space before you buy new speakers.
Not untrue, but that said, not that many decent-sized domesting listening environments are all that bad, if you've got appropriate speakers that load the room with a uniform radiation pattern. What is your budget, what is your room like?

O

offtheroad

Audiophyte
If you are not happy with the sound, there are two things that may help. First, make sure you are doing the best you can with the positioning of the speakers and with rugs and so forth. In other words, deal with the acoustics of your space as best you can. Other than that, replacing the speakers would be the next thing to do. But the best speakers ever made will not sound great in a bad listening environment, so make sure you do not have any nasty echos or other such problems with your space before you buy new speakers. I would strongly recommend not bothering with a new preamp, CD player, or power amp (unless the speakers you end up with require something more). Unless one of them is actually malfunctioning, any "improvements" you could get from replacing them is likely to be imaginary.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I checked one of the banana inputs on spkr and I was able to push it in a bit further. My speakers Paradigm 100 are very good, I think. I can't beleive I little thing like one of the 4 biwired connectors could have mad a difference but it seems like it.
Thoughts?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't recall op mentioning sub in equipment list and he said he's looking for a "kick" - I think OP is going to need a bigger [strike]boat[/strike] ... sub

Yes, as GEV said - we must know your room and budget (and yea changing amps,processors or cables will give no result)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the speedy reply. I checked one of the banana inputs on spkr and I was able to push it in a bit further. My speakers Paradigm 100 are very good, I think. I can't beleive I little thing like one of the 4 biwired connectors could have mad a difference but it seems like it.
Thoughts?
the bi-wiring difference is there, unfortunately it's only an effect of placebo
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/steam-vent/29665-why-bi-wiring-makes-no-sense.html

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thoughts?
You might not have been getting any sound from some of the woofers if there was not a proper connection. Since the speakers are made to be able to be bi-amped, disconnecting one set of wires will either affect the bass or treble (depending on which set it is) when you don't have the jumpers in place.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Pyrrho with checking your connections. The physical nature of copper dictates it's connections be checked and if needed be re-torqued
Also check the set screws in the banana plugs, if they have them.
How long is your wire run, and what size wire are you using?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I would change the processor the Ref 50 S2 is not that great, neither is the Rotel. Both nice looking units, but performace is lacking. Seems like they have no fire when you crank them. The best one that I liked was the Atlantic Technolgies P 2000 which was a rebadged Outlaw 950, to me that sounded great.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
should I upgrade ?
well,the simple answer is yes !

according to the "home theater guy's rule book",

in section 12 paragraph 2 it states that "if the guy has not upgraded at least one major component in said home theater within the previous 12 month period,then that same guy HAS to upgrade at least ONE major component,

and this bylaw supersedes any wife approval factor rules.

also this paragraph states that once that exemption has been met there is no WAF monetary or esthetic rule any longer in effect.

this is from the official rulebook,so I say YES! upgrade !

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis