Should i plug the ports on my front speakers?

zandzpider

zandzpider

Audiophyte
Are my front speakers too close to the wall?

they have back firing ports.

bass crossover at 80hz

Front: Monitor Audio Silver 1
Center: Monitor Audio Gold C150
Back: Dali Zensor 1
Sub: SVS PC2000

Reciever Denon AVR-X1300W
429709181_130355.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
General rule of thumb is at least as far away as the diameter of the port. Since you have a sub you might try them plugged vs not and see if you have a preference.

Your center isn't in a very good place and should at least be pulled up even to the edges of the cabinet, and perhaps the tweeter aimed better at your listening position (can't see if it's angled in the photo). I'd move the L/R speakers the same, up to the edge of the cabinet (and same, are the tweeters aimed at your ears?).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those should be fine. A few inches is usually good enough. Agree, they should be pulled to the front edge of the cabinet.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've always read the diameter plus half. So yeah, a few inches should do. Agree with these guys too. Move those speakers all the way up.(and hope the open cavities underneath don't add some weird artifacts). I would put something under the feet of the tv and slide the center under it. That would center it, and also bring it more in line horizontally with the other speakers.

zandzpider

zandzpider

Audiophyte
The center is angled up and the front speaker tweeters are in my ear height.
i can pull the center maybe slighty forward and the speakers too.

i tried to mention putting the center on top of the cabinet. Never before have i seen such potential rage from SO with the strictes of "NO".

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would try it with the plugs- I installed a pair of Silver 10 in the corners of a living room and the bass is overemphasized. It's not the best location anyway, but at this point, it's unlikely that the homeowner will want them to dictate how the room is arranged.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If your bass is not sounding the way you want, it is certainly worth plugging the ports (and changing the sub XO to a higher frequency) to see if it helps.
I assume you have an AVR to do bass management duties?

zandzpider

zandzpider

Audiophyte
If your bass is not sounding the way you want, it is certainly worth plugging the ports (and changing the sub XO to a higher frequency) to see if it helps.
I assume you have an AVR to do bass management duties?
Yes, it's at 80 hz crossover for all speakers. even if my fronts can do close to 40hz

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it's at 80 hz crossover for all speakers. even if my fronts can do close to 40hz
Once you plug the port, your fronts may lose some extension ( that is usually how many factors tune ported speakers), so give 100hz XO a shot as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis