Shopping insurance (auto and home)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Had some extra time and I went to State Farm on a lark. They are beating my current insurance (Progressive for auto and ASI [affiliated with Progressive for multi discount] for home owners) by almost $1,000/year.

Not sure if that means State Farm has really good rates or if Progressive/ASI have been ripping me off.

I have time on Monday to get maybe two more quotes before committing and was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to share on who else I might get quotes from or regarding satisfaction with State Farm.

TIA!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Had some extra time and I went to State Farm on a lark. They are beating my current insurance (Progressive for auto and ASI [affiliated with Progressive for multi discount] for home owners) by almost $1,000/year.

Not sure if that means State Farm has really good rates or if Progressive/ASI have been ripping me off.

I have time on Monday to get maybe two more quotes before committing and was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to share on who else I might get quotes from or regarding satisfaction with State Farm.

TIA!
I've had State Farm auto for about 17 years and renters/homeowners for about 5. They've never given me any reason to look elsewhere and have always done right by me. Being the biggest or one of the biggest has it's advantages I guess, but that isn't always the case.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Switched from Esurance to Geico and never had any reason to look elsewhere. Two cars and home.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We did AAA which chooses from 3 carriers. Progressive is the only one that will cover a previously uninsured motorist but are most expensive. After a 6 month policy, the rate comes down by switching to another carrier (American Commerce). We checked and The Hartford (or whatever) was more expensive.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have insured everything with State farm since we arrived in the US in 1976. We are glad we did. When you have a claim there is no hassle and they meet their obligations. Living in this tough climate we have had four weather related claims and they have been totally professional. One was a $27,000 claim. They paid with no argument. This was related to the power going out when we first bought this place, and we had not yet occupied the it.

They did want to know that I would take measures to prevent a recurrence. That was the main reason I installed the auto start generator. With all the measures I took, they did not raise my premium.

I have noted friends and colleagues have had no end of trouble with other companies when having to make a claim.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
When I first started driving I had AAA, then one accident in a Chevy Nova and they cancelled my policy and put me into an assigned risk category with AIS. Several years went by then I got State Farm, all was well until I wrecked my Honda Accord. State Farm paid promptly and I cancelled my policy. At this point I had no car so who needs insurance? After getting out of financial hardship I bought a new car and tried to get back to AAA but when I told the agent I was a AAA employee they wouldn't insure me, seems the agent gets less commissions on employee policies. Now I'm back with State Farm, auto and renters policy with discounts, so far satisfied.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Switched from Liberty Mutual to Geico and saved a load of money and they have been good overall. Insurance is risk sharing and size matters so State Farm, Geico, and Allstate are good bets.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I use USAA for home and auto. They aren't the cheapest (especially for home) but I've never had any issues with service and I have a higher level of auto coverage than I could select with other providers so the pricing wasn't exactly apples to apples. Geico, Progressive, State Farm, and most of the other big names couldn't come close to their pricing with the same level of coverage if I could even select the same options. I've only had a home since may 2016 however so I'm not super experienced with all that stuff. I need to get quotes from Amica and some other providers before my policy renews this year.

I did go through State Farm for my mortgage - 15 years at 3% was better than any other offers I got.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
We have insured everything with State farm since we arrived in the US in 1976. We are glad we did. When you have a claim there is no hassle and they meet their obligations. Living in this tough climate we have had four weather related claims and they have been totally professional. One was a $27,000 claim. They paid with no argument. This was related to the power going out when we first bought this place, and we had not yet occupied the it.

They did want to know that I would take measures to prevent a recurrence. That was the main reason I installed the auto start generator. With all the measures I took, they did not raise my premium.

I have noted friends and colleagues have had no end of trouble with other companies when having to make a claim.
We have always used State Farm too. You are correct on the no hassle part. I watched my neighbors fight and almost have to sue their insurance companies when we all got roof damage from hail last year. Some of them still don't have repairs.

I called SF and they were out that day and I had $23,000 direct deposited in my account 3 days later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis