TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm curious too. I have some diy skills. A projector has never really been on my radar. I think I'd have to close every blind and curtain to get it dark enough in my living room.
I think I got the Epson 2045, 20' HDMI, ceiling mount and spare lamp for $700 +/- a few bucks. I chose the Epson over a similar Optoma due to lamp price.

Sherwin Williams paint ain't cheap, I think $70 gallon. Pro classic Enamel Satin Finish - the minor sheen it provides equates to screen gain which will improve blacks.

You'll need a 3M Fine/extra fine sanding sponge, plastic tarps and the surprisingly expensive Frogtape. Make no mistake, normal masking tape won't keep the paint out!

You need a foam roller, which they didn't have on display in the 9inch size. But a conversation about my Rick and Morty T-shirt kept the rollers from being charged, FYI. Primer and putty to flatten any and all drywall seams, holes, whatever. Drywall sanding screens if you don't have your own pro sanders. Then you need good even pressure and a keen eye to keep the surface flat with out beading from the roller's edge. I dilute the enamel with water, just spritzing to increase viscosity. You don't want it runny, but the right amount of water will help more with the self leveling nature. I reuse Windex bottles for spraying water (I wet sand furniture I build so this is routine for me) and you'll sand between coats.

Lots and lots of sanding between coats. You'll see with enough moisture the paint will start to loosen and become liquid-y again, don't keep spraying, just spread and smooth with the sanding sponge. Let it set for a moment and then roll on another coat.

If you're still reading and interested, great! But this is a lot of work and does not necessarily save money over Amazon projection screens. Because this is our living room, I was intending to provide a clean look that does not give away an obvious projection screen with black masking. So it is more than worth it to me to put in the effort. However, you are at the mercy of drying times so you can only recoat at most every 90-120 mins or a water based paint will peel.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So in the end, the main question is what is the proper size screen for your room/layout.
Between time and money, I would equate TheWarrior's outlay to over $1000, but 90" TV's are running around $5-6K! That leaves plenty of money to buy a screen if you don't want to invest the time.

@TheWarrior How many gallons of paint did you need?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've seen @Pogre lay out and I want to say he has vaulted ceilings in his TV room...if so he'd need a long pole to make a projector work...but his wife is a little more AV friendly than mine...she might go for it.

:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've seen @Pogre lay out and I want to say he has vaulted ceilings in his TV room...if so he'd need a long pole to make a projector work...but his wife is a little more AV friendly than mine...she might go for it.

:)
I do have vaulted ceilings. I'd need a pole or one of those cool looking platforms that retract up into the ceiling. I'm sure those are pretty cheap... :rolleyes:

I have a ceiling fan between me and the front stage too. That could cause some issues too. Not much room for a projector or just plain in the way. I think a projector is a cool idea. I'm going to have to learn a lot more about that before I'd consider it. It would become my tv, basically. I've read those bulbs do need replacing every once on a while and they're not cheap.

How much would it cost to put together a decent projection system that'll play nice with my audio gear? I'm not as critical with my video as I am my audio. Just give me a good hi def picture with decent black levels and I'm happy. I'm just straight curious. I'm not in the shopping stage for buying anything yet. I wanna get an idea of how much money I would need to budget.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I do have vaulted ceilings. I'd need a pole or one of those cool looking platforms that retract up into the ceiling. I'm sure those are pretty cheap... :rolleyes:

I have a ceiling fan between me and the front stage too. That could cause some issues too. Not much room for a projector or just plain in the way. I think a projector is a cool idea. I'm going to have to learn a lot more about that before I'd consider it. It would become my tv, basically. I've read those bulbs do need replacing every once on a while and they're not cheap.

How much would it cost to put together a decent projection system that'll play nice with my audio gear? I'm not as critical with my video as I am my audio. Just give me a good hi def picture with decent black levels and I'm happy. I'm just straight curious. I'm not in the shopping stage for buying anything yet. I wanna get an idea of how much money I would need to budget.
When I had a basement, I had a 1080p projector with a 100" screen....from my experience, the screen makes a big difference in getting that crisp looking, bright picture...something to do with reflective properties, etc. I remember paying almost $1,000 just for that. Seems real intense what Warrior was describing withe painting technique, but I don't have that kind of patience.

For a good 75" 4k set right now, $3500...I can see those being $2500 to $2800 this time next yr. But for an entry level...I wouldn't be surprised to see them around $2k

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So in the end, the main question is what is the proper size screen for your room/layout.
Between time and money, I would equate TheWarrior's outlay to over $1000, but 90" TV's are running around $5-6K! That leaves plenty of money to buy a screen if you don't want to invest the time.

@TheWarrior How many gallons of paint did you need?
Ehhhhh I'd say at or under $1k. Working on painting today actually, 2nd gallon. The other gallon was fresh primer as it's been a few years. Not part of the screen budget, but relevant is the flat white I'm using on the surrounding walls - they've just remained Kilz primer from renovating (heavy smoke smell when I bought the place) but haven't been able to decide on a color.

With the diffusor panels being a variety of natural wood colors, I am using that to make more of the boring white, while still feeling larger than the actual square footage. Same reason I used lighter color flooring.

My other issue is 65" TVs are HUGE. To even consider going larger, and then the potential for even just a pixel to fail, WTF are you going to do with a 90" TV? I think I'll stick to replacing bulbs and being dutiful in my PJ warm up procedures.... just like riding a motorcycle! (of the carburetor variety, anyway)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My spandex screen only cost about $120 to make, but I wanted an AT screen. If I were going to use a non AT screen I'd paint it with one of the proven formulas I linked earlier. Those are supposedly as good or better than some of the screens sold today.

If you aren't that picky about picture then you can get a decent screen for not too much and invest the savings in a better PJ. You can always replace the cheap screen with a really great one when funds allow.

Vaulted ceilings are going to be an issue especially with a fan involved. How high is the fan from the floor? You might be OK if it's high enough. I had 8' ceilings in my last theater and I had a flush mount fan. No issues with my PJ.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
WTF are you going to do with a 90" TV? I think I'll stick to replacing bulbs and being dutiful in my PJ warm up procedures....
A follow-up question, years down the road when that 90" TV dies, what will you do with it? Before I got my projector I had a 67" DLP. As most electronics eventually do, it died. Hauling it to my community waste management facility and unloading it from the back of the truck, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by guilt. Man! I felt like such a jerk putting something that bulky into waste. Whether it ended up in a landfill here or a junk heap in Asia somewhere, I feel my carbon footprint will never recover.

Just one more reason to consider a projector.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I don't think now is a good time to buy a TV. As mentioned we're seeing the new 4K flag being waved in an attempt to lure consumers to replace perfectly good 1080P TVs. OLED/Quantum is only beginning to trickle down the lines of multiple manufacturers while prices remain premium.
I'm actually in the market for a new TV and I was going to consider OLED. Why are you leery of the upgrade? I get that there isn't much native 4K content, but you don't think the OLED resolution alone isn't enough to warrant replacing 1080P or the upscaling to get HD content to 4K?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm actually in the market for a new TV and I was going to consider OLED. Why are you leery of the upgrade? I get that there isn't much native 4K content, but you don't think the OLED resolution alone isn't enough to warrant replacing 1080P or the upscaling to get HD content to 4K?

I believe his point is that the OLED is still introductory technology and priced very high. If you bought one today, you can expect the price to drop substantially over the next year such that you could have either saved a lot of money by waiting, or bought a larger TV for the same coin.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I believe his point is that the OLED is still introductory technology and priced very high. If you bought one today, you can expect the price to drop substantially over the next year such that you could have either saved a lot of money by waiting, or bought a larger TV for the same coin.
Ah got it. I guess I'd agree that now isn't an ideal time because you're either going to overpay or buy old tech with 1080P

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ah got it. I guess I'd agree that now isn't an ideal time because you're either going to overpay or buy old tech with 1080P

The other part of it is that at most viewing distances, 1080p is as good as the eye can see. The added resolution of 4k is wasted unless you want to eyeball it up close.
Yes the screens look different in BestBuy, but that is some combination of feeding a special source (not just 4k content) to optimize the image and tuning the 4k TV while having the other TVs set up in a less than optimal tuning! The TV industry is interested in convincing you that you need 4k!
That said, there may also be some new tech in the flagship models (which would be 4k) while they might not be upgrading 1080 models. I'm not an HT guy so I'm not sure on the details!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
OLED is seeing a long infancy due to lack of customers wanting to adopt yet another new tech. Flat panel TVs were enormously popular so perhaps a few too many new factories were built thinking it was sustainable. Panasonic doesn't even offer TVs right now! And I'm still enjoying my plasma!

If you're just thinking about 4K and have some cash to burn, I'd save it for future options once the market gets more saturated. The displays will only get better anyway. Or, since this is Audioholics, maybe examine other upgrade avenues?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, my son found this Samsung at Best Buy and he's all excited to spend my money. :rolleyes:

Me, not so much. Well, not $4k! I'm not even thinking about running out and getting it, but does this look like something I'd want to shoot for? Just wanted to get a feel if I'm more in the ballpark.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, my son found this Samsung at Best Buy and he's all excited to spend my money. :rolleyes:

Me, not so much. Well, not $4k! I'm not even thinking about running out and getting it, but does this look like something I'd want to shoot for? Just wanted to get a feel if I'm more in the ballpark.
Man, $4k for an edge lit LCD? Damn, even if it is 75". Did they resolve the flashlighting/clouding issues with this latest round? Glad I got a plasma when I could...hope OLED is mature/dominant by the time I need a new set.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I'd be more inclined to spend that money on a 65" OLED.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

This alone would stop me from even considering that TV.

"16.5' Proprietary optical cable"

That connects to whatever the connector box is and if it goes out some day he can just throw that TV in the trash.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

That connects to whatever the connector box is and if it goes out some day he can just throw that TV in the trash.
I'm sure Samsung will sell you a replacement for $350...if the cable is generally reliable.
If it is prone to failure another company will OEM it, and it will cost 23.95!

Modern business really strives to strike "captive market gold"!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, $4k for an edge lit LCD? Damn, even if it is 75". Did they resolve the flashlighting/clouding issues with this latest round? Glad I got a plasma when I could...hope OLED is mature/dominant by the time I need a new set.
I thought that was an oled? Isn't qled just their name for it? I have no clue. That's why I'm asking questions. I saw HDR10 and some quantum dot bs so it caught my interest when he linked it to me. If that's just an led yes, I completely agree. Ridiculous.

*Edit: I see it now. derp

And I agree with your sentiment. I didn't catch they had a proprietary optical cable. That kind of thing pisses me off too.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I thought that was an oled? Isn't qled just their name for it? I have no clue. That's why I'm asking questions. I saw HDR10 and some quantum dot bs so it caught my interest when he linked it to me. If that's just an led yes, I completely agree. Ridiculous.

*Edit: I see it now. derp

And I agree with your sentiment. I didn't catch they had a proprietary optical cable. That kind of thing pisses me off too.
I mean, Q is two letters past O. QLED ought to be 2 generations beyond OLED, right? :)

Yeah, that breakout box thingy is so that if you want to wall mount the TV, the thing you plug all your HDMI cables into can be hidden away separately, and you only have the power cord and a single signal cable to have to route up the wall. You know, as opposed to having to attach all your cables to a big bulky AVR or something...

I'm not the biggest fan of Samsung displays right now. I tried a defective one for a couple weeks prior to buying my projector. When Googling my TV's symptom, turns out I wasn't the only one experiencing something like that by far. All I can say is, thank goodness it arrived defective rather than developing the defect after the return window.

I realize that mine was only a single bad experience, though. My parents-in-law have a 55" that looks and works really nice. Ultimately, though, I'm more pleased with my projector than I would've been with that TV even if it hadn't been defective.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis