Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got my audio set up to where I really like it now. The fact of the matter is though, I need a bigger tv. My current one is a Vizio... something. I have it in my sig. It's a 58" 4k tv, I sit 13" away from it and I have trouble reading text sometimes and miss details (vision is very good). It doesn't have HDR or any fancy video perks that seem to keep cropping up every month. Just straight up 4k.

I've seen a lot of arguments about 4k not being a worthy upgrade. I can say that I do notice a difference between 4k and 1080p on my current tv from where I sit, though that very well could be due to the limitations of my tv. TV's are something I know very little about. I'd like to get at least 70" or bigger to make it a worthwhile upgrade. If there are better quality 1080p tv's that would get me the size I want and upgrade my picture I'm certainly willing to consider it.

Just to toss a number out, I'd like to keep it under $1000. It's not set in stone, but if anything I'd like to go lower as opposed to higher! I'm not buying today or even next week. Just gathering some info and wanting to learn what to look for in a good tv.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As much as I like my Sony LCD, I still don't like LCD TVs. Too much blur and artifacts for me to consider one as my primary or for "critical" viewing. That's what my plasma is for.

I'm glad they released 4k dlp projectors, but I'm probably going to wait for the gen 2 ones to be released before I get one.

If you want big for under $1k you're going to have a hard time finding something "good". If you like your current Vizio, then go for a newer model of the same. 4k looks better on your current TV because that's what it's native resolution is. LCD are prone to look soft or just plain bad with content that isn't the panel resolution. Any modern 4k tv will have HDR. HDR is the main reason I like my sony. If that weren't a feature it would only be a decent TV.

Check out this site for more info than you ever wanted. Rtings.com. From what I can tell at 70" close to $1K the Vizio E70-E3 is going to be the only one that isn't an ultra cheapo chinese brand.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Read up on HDR, it's the main reason I decided to go with 4k. I see 4k as; you can sitter closer to a tv without it distorting, looking grainy, however you want to word it. Ive heard it has a wider viewing angle as well. HDR has a lot more advantages in the color depth, getting closer to 'true' black levels that plasma displays were soo good at.
Samsung and vizio seemed to have more of a soap opera effect even with settings turned off. LG seemed more natural and that's what I chose. I also watch a lot of sports and the LG seemed to have a cleaner picture, less image blur.
Most is going to be what suits your tastes, some people like the soap opera effect, i hate it. Also keep in mind most tv's in stores have the settings cranked up showing unrealistic content that you most likely will not get at home.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think now is a good time to buy a TV. As mentioned we're seeing the new 4K flag being waved in an attempt to lure consumers to replace perfectly good 1080P TVs. OLED/Quantum is only beginning to trickle down the lines of multiple manufacturers while prices remain premium.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys. This is what I'm looking for. I don't even want to start looking until I learn some more. I really don't know jack when it comes to tv's.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If I were to get a new tv now, I would go OLED. When I got my Samsung, plasmas were off the market, and OLED's were close to $5k for a 55 inch set. The blacks are what sell me on them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
HDR is where it's at, but it is anything but standard. So far there are a few different versions of HDR. HDR10 (which I guess is sort of the standard) is the most common. Dolby vision is another. Then there is Hybrid Log Gamma which sounds neat, but I think isn't support by any TV at this time. I think there are more than that, but right now HDR10 is the main one being supported.

There are also different color standards. REC.709 is what most 1080p blu-rays are and the 4k HDR stuff is normally BT2020 which has a broader color range.

Have fun. :) There are more buzz words/abbreviations/standards in video than there ever will be in audio (consumer stuff). It's almost silly at this point. Most people that want the latest and greatest don't even understand what they're buying most of the time.

1st gen 4k tv's have hdmi 1.4 ports that support NONE of the current standards. I wouldn't dream of spending money on a "reference" TV or projector right now due to the fact that everything is so up in the air.

Once things settle I'll be more apt to part with the same money I did for my last gen Panasonic Plasma. Still has the best picture I've seen on a TV. OLED gets close, but those haven't been around long enough to tell if they are going to have any sort of longevity. They also have burn it issues. Quantum dot is just a fancy new way of making LCD panels. It's cool, but not as good at most things Plasmas can do better.

macey

macey

Enthusiast
I never quite understood all the hype about HDR it almost seemed to me as a marketing ploy, i guess its more of a general improvement to the image quality and thats what they are branding it with

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
When you go above 65" for a tv, that's the point where you lose the production of scale discount. Consider getting a projector and screen. You'll have to do a whole lot more thinking, planning, and research for this, but you'll end up with as large a screen as you could wish for, for significantly less than the cost of a 70" TV probably. I recommend a model with frame interpolation. To me, smooth motion at lower resolution looks better than 23.98fps at 1080p. I also recommend becoming best friends with the throw calculator at Projector Central.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I don't think now is a good time to buy a TV. As mentioned we're seeing the new 4K flag being waved in an attempt to lure consumers to replace perfectly good 1080P TVs. OLED/Quantum is only beginning to trickle down the lines of multiple manufacturers while prices remain premium.
Yep. Boy I'm really starting to see some intelligent post on this subject. Seems like folks are getting wise to the game.

I own a Panasonic Plasma VT60, which is of the last of great plasmas. My TV is still a power house (although it would have been nice to have HDR). I see a lot of those 4K LED's with blue and purple so-called blacks and shake my head why some videophiles are purchasing them solely on the basis of them having 4K resolution. It was an old truism among videophiles, if a TV didn't have good or deep blacks, it was a sub par TV, not matter what. I guess that's no longer a truism since pixel count and resolution seems to be presiding factor on purchasing a TV today.

Having said that, OLED is the way to go, although I would like see more of a selection of brands. If I was buying a new set, I wouldn't even consider any TV but an OLED TV.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still reading replies and did a Google search or two. Keep the comments coming, I've learned a little already!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@TheWarrior recently set up a projector system that impressed me. He is using his wall after spending some time painting it with some special leveling and reflective (?) paint.
He bought a cheaper projector as a "temporary" measure and is pretty pleased with it. I think he has his image just over 100"!
Hopefully he will comment on it and link to the article/info he found on prepping a wall for use as a screen.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@TheWarrior recently set up a projector system that impressed me. He is using his wall after spending some time painting it with some special leveling and reflective (?) paint.
He bought a cheaper projector as a "temporary" measure and is pretty pleased with it. I think he has his image just over 100"!
Hopefully he will comment on it and link to the article/info he found on prepping a wall for use as a screen.
Tons of info here. They have the screen paint formulas and everything. That's how I learned to make my DIY spandex (yup) AT screen. Works wonderfully.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. Boy I'm really starting to see some intelligent post on this subject. Seems like folks are getting wise to the game.

I own a Panasonic Plasma VT60, which is of the last of great plasmas. My TV is still a power house (although it would have been nice to have HDR). I see a lot of those 4K LED's with blue and purple so-called blacks and shake my head why some videophiles are purchasing them solely on the basis of them having 4K resolution. It was an old truism among videophiles, if a TV didn't have good or deep blacks, it was a sub par TV, not matter what. I guess that's no longer a truism since pixel count and resolution seems to be presiding factor on purchasing a TV today.

Having said that, OLED is the way to go, although I would like see more of a selection of brands. If I was buying a new set, I wouldn't even consider any TV but an OLED TV.

Agreed on all fronts! My ST30 42" plasma is what has been replaced with projection, but no way am I parting with that TV! Into my music room it goes... (assuming I keep the guitar play going...again)

Had been itching for a bigger display since buying a house. Almost bought whatever the last generation Panasonic plasma was in a 65" but just couldn't commit. I've always felt projection 'makes' it a home theater, and had been harboring that desire/delusion for several years. Found a March Madness steal on an Epson 2045 with all the extra bits, and couldn't be happier!

Yes it is a very entry level projector, but to throw a 100" image on a wall really can't be beat. The color is quite good out of the box, and I am pleased with it's ease of operation. All in all it provides good enough picture quality that will keep me happy for a few years until I spy a JVC closeout...

Tons of info here. They have the screen paint formulas and everything. That's how I learned to make my DIY spandex (yup) AT screen. Works wonderfully.

Thanks, bookmarked for later reading!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

This was my resource. I used the SW Enamel with a tight nap(16th" I think) roller, and wet sanding. Pretty pleased with the results, but its not perfectly flat. So I am going try again and this time thin the paint in the hopes of getting rid of the roller depressions it leaves behind, mildly distorting the image. I've worked with sprayers plenty before, and will not be doing that in a furnished home, unfortunately...

The other trick was using a flat white paint on the surrounding walls so there is only a subtle change in luster over the screen area. Once I build a new cabinet for the PJ, it'll be a bit more discreet.

Now that I've got my screen size sorted out, I can tape off the actual image so I get nice clean lines. Lots of changes happening so there will finally be some updates to my 'Self Built whatever' thread that is apparently in need of new photo hosting...

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed on all fronts! My ST30 42" plasma is what has been replaced with projection, but no way am I parting with that TV! Into my music room it goes... (assuming I keep the guitar play going...again)

Had been itching for a bigger display since buying a house. Almost bought whatever the last generation Panasonic plasma was in a 65" but just couldn't commit. I've always felt projection 'makes' it a home theater, and had been harboring that desire/delusion for several years. Found a March Madness steal on an Epson 2045 with all the extra bits, and couldn't be happier!

Yes it is a very entry level projector, but to throw a 100" image on a wall really can't be beat. The color is quite good out of the box, and I am pleased with it's ease of operation. All in all it provides good enough picture quality that will keep me happy for a few years until I spy a JVC closeout...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

This was my resource. I used the SW Enamel with a tight nap(16th" I think) roller, and wet sanding. Pretty pleased with the results, but its not perfectly flat. So I am going try again and this time thin the paint in the hopes of getting rid of the roller depressions it leaves behind, mildly distorting the image. I've worked with sprayers plenty before, and will not be doing that in a furnished home, unfortunately...

The other trick was using a flat white paint on the surrounding walls so there is only a subtle change in luster over the screen area. Once I build a new cabinet for the PJ, it'll be a bit more discreet.

Now that I've got my screen size sorted out, I can tape off the actual image so I get nice clean lines. Lots of changes happening so there will finally be some updates to my 'Self Built whatever' thread that is apparently in need of new photo hosting...
Yeah, check those threads. A lot of them buy sign plastic (sintra PVC IIRC) that is very thin and flat. Then they paint that and attach to the wall. Some go as far as to make a screen frame so it is isolated from the rest of the wall.

Lots of good info there.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, check those threads. A lot of them buy sign plastic (sintra PVC IIRC) that is very thin and flat. Then they paint that and attach to the wall. Some go as far as to make a screen frame so it is isolated from the rest of the wall.

Lots of good info there.
Yeah I actually used to work for a sign company which is where my spray painting experience comes from. I did well on achieving a flat wall surface thanks to lots o' primer and wet sanding. There are specific paints from Matthews Paint Company that allow amazing (and almost indestructible) finishes on sintra, but it really needs to be sprayed.

Just need to eliminate the dimples. Getting to it today actually, so here's hoping!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

What did you pay for projector and paint?
How much time spent on wall/screen?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm curious too. I have some diy skills. A projector has never really been on my radar. I think I'd have to close every blind and curtain to get it dark enough in my living room.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm curious too. I have some diy skills. A projector has never really been on my radar. I think I'd have to close every blind and curtain to get it dark enough in my living room.
You might be surprised at how much light some projectors are capable of pushing. Yes, you'll have to put some effort into light control, but if you do it right and get the right PJ you could have a very nice low light viewing experience.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm still reading replies and did a Google search or two. Keep the comments coming, I've learned a little already!
You are getting a lot of good info.

As I understand it, you're basically wanting a larger screen...crazy how that happens, just 15 yrs ago 36" was a pretty large screen. We added a sunroom to the house and put a 65" 4k Sony out there...sitting in the back chairs, I'm 15-16' away, not bad, but I wish we had done a 75" now....lol.

$1k budget, wait...you might a 1080p set in a 70" or >, but I wouldn't go backwards...the 60" 1080p plasma I have in the loft is great, I very happy with it, but the Sony shows 1080p content better.

OLED...great picture, actually the best picture, but I'm hearing they are not that great for gamers...imo right now it's too early to buy an OLED TV because the pricing premium is too high.

4K LED...I think it's boils down to Sony and Samsung...the Sony is a more natural looking picture imo, and handles motion a little better than the Samsung in comparable price ranges. Samsung sells on a bright, clear picture. The Vizo P series TVs are pretty good, but imo a notch below the Sony and Samsung.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis