Sherwood RV-5030R probs

J

j2daz

Audiophyte
At first was no sound on my old Sherwood RV-5030R (10+ years old?) so i checked fuses, they are fine.
(on CD)
Went back to play with settings and appears speakers only work if the surround mode is "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" and even then the L and R speakers play as Center with volume control really sensitive. ie volume dial only from 5/100 to 15/100 before its way too loud.
(on Tuner)
I changed to the Tuner (radio) and they only play as centers only too, but the volume dial has to be way up there around 80/100 to hear anything remotely.

No sound on either L or R if the "Speakers B" set is selected.

Sound like a major overhaul required or something small I could do myself? I have an BSEE but no exp in this area. No black marks from burns, no components coming loose that needs soldering or loose connections that i can see. The local audio/video store, said they would have to look at it and would offer no estimates upfront.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
didja ever stop to think that maybe nobody has any idea what to tell you?

Hey, you're the one with the BSEE, not us. Not everything is simple to diagnose and troubleshoot over the internet.

That's why good, experienced technicians with the right test equipment make good money. Sometimes troubleshooting takes quite a bit of time. It may only be a $.25 part but it may take several hours to find out which one. The tech deserves to be paid for his time, doncha think?

One would have thought at this point in your career you might have realized that. But then again, some engineers do tend to see themselves as the stars of the field and discount the skills, experience and talents of the "underlings".

Now, try to impress your plumber by telling him you're a BSEE whern your pipes are blocked. Betcha he doubles his estimate...

Last edited:
J

j2daz

Audiophyte
:eek: Nice, thanks for the info. I was just trying to convey the fact that i have some working knowledge of circuits and replacement so if it anyone knew if it was a specific component i could replace it myself.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I would have just let it go until your second post chastising us for not responding.

Your second post made it seem you were owed an answer and were a bit miffed nobody responded, as if by asking, in your very first post here mind you, the solution to a fairly complex situation. One that would most likely take an experienced tech with the right equipment some time to discern.

This ain't like it was 40 years ago with tube TV's when, given certain symptoms, I might have been able to suggest a certain tube might be at fault.

Things have become somewhat more complex since those simple days. Didn't they teach you that in your school?

Last edited:
J

j2daz

Audiophyte
Ah jumping to conclusions and ignorance. I was saying thank you to someone who emailed me. And no they do not teach such things in universities because its common sense that technologies are getting more complex. But for the rare possibility someone might have had a similar problem with the model I have, was the reason i posted. :rolleyes:

M

Mlaeuger

Audiophyte
Same problem with Sherwood RV-5030R

Good Afternoon:
I have the same problem that J2daz detailed in his earlier post. He/She never explains how they fixed it. Since this initial posting string was in 2005, I doubt they are still reviewing the site. Can anyone provide some suggestions or experience with how to troubleshoot the unit? Thanks in advance for your help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis