Sherbourn's SR-8100 Receiver Reviewed

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I agree. I think amplifier specs, other than an output spec, are pretty silly on mainstream products these days. This unit seems to be designed for wife approval purposes by being unobtrusive or for fitting in a limited space. It should fill that role well like the smaller Marantz units. Even my $200 bedrom AVR has preamp outputs.
Yea, but a $200 AVR probably needs pre-outs in order to hook up your speakers to a real amp... :p

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's pass through so no video processing. Not a bad thing generally speaking, but I know some folks need it in a receiver.

B

Bfaulk

Audiophyte
Posted earlier about my troubles with my SR8100’s... The guys at Emotiva were great at helping me out (although a little slow sending me a replacement part). I got my unit up and working again (replaced the digital board), but now have the same issues again (hdmi cuts in/out/in/out etc). The other unit has now stopped working altogether (wont power on).

I guess we'll see how they deal with this... I'm past 30 days and they aren't producing new sr8100’s. hmmm...

Still... I love the unit when it works! Just... Want it to... Well, work.

P

PGT

Audiophyte
I bought two SR8100's as well. I'm using one on a set of five Episode in-walls and a line array of 18" subs (run off a Behringer amp via the balanced output). It sounds great but after reading this thread, I have the same question about power. I'd like pre-outs for when I can put an Emo XPA series amp in the system....this receiver isn't an option, even though its basically a UMC-200.

Still would love to see some lab measurements...I've got 6ohm speakers and knowing that practical real-world power is would likely help me decide an upgrade path (if any).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, but a $200 AVR probably needs pre-outs in order to hook up your speakers to a real amp... :p
It depends, in my opinion if I worry about needing a "real" amp (our definitions may differ) for "real" speakers, I would not rely on a $200 AVR as a pre-amp either. Otherwise I would be fine with it.

P

PGT

Audiophyte
I've got a spare new in the box 8100 if anybody wants a deal on one....less than the current price (until they run out)

T

tvrgeek

Enthusiast
How is their stability in HDMI switching? Can it switch without drama in under two seconds every time? Can they teach this to their new owner?

F

freakydimitri

Audiophyte
just as i was thinking of buying umc200......

i may get me one of these..... would consider a used one for ultimate bargain!

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
How is their stability in HDMI switching? Can it switch without drama in under two seconds every time? Can they teach this to their new owner?
They can't teach in this case as the 8100 is the same platform as the UMC-200 which was designed well before the merger. That said, the HDMI switching is very stable and much quicker compared to the older UMC-1.

W

witalik

Audiophyte
This is something we are in talks about.

If we do measurements, we want to make sure they are above reproach, which means that Gene basically needs to do them (for amps, that is). He has the EE degree, experience, and equipment.

It is possible for one person to write up the review, and then ship the product to Gene for measurements. This is actually how many print AV magazines work. One person does the review, another does measurements, and sometimes a 3rd will do photography. Obviously, this process is expensive and time consuming. However, we follow this process for some reviews. For example, we have an upcoming review of the Outlaw RR-2150 Stereo RetroReceiver that I am reviewing and then shipping to Gene for measurements.

So, we try to reach a happy medium where we measure products that we feel really warrant the full service.

FYI - We still have the SR-8100 on hand, and plan to do measurements. Waiting for them to be complete would have pushed the review back a few weeks, so we figured it was better to publish now and add measurements later.
Are there still plans to do some measurements with this receiver ? Still very anxious to know what this baby can do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis