R

rudykri

Audiophyte
I've been trying to restore vintage Sharp VZ 1600H audiosystem (turntable, tuner, double tapedeck) from 1980's and my main problem is crackling speaker. Actually it does only left speaker, right speaker is OK. (I tried to switch speakers and problem is always in one (left) channel). I realized that problem might be in flat multi core cable, because when I touched it, the loudspeaker started to crackle.

I took a picture of the cable and I wonder, if somebody could tell me how exactly is this cable called, or where I can order it (if it's still in production after all these years).

Thanks in advance

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, that looks like a "ribbon cable" to me. So, that's what I would be looking for. But, it's tough to see if that might be some proprietary connection or what.

R

rudykri

Audiophyte
Now I see that connector will be bigger issue, because I can't find ribbon cable with this type of connector.

Can anybody help me, please? Any experiences with Sharp machines?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good luck to you. I doubt there's many here with experience specific to Sharp electronics though there are plenty with overall, more general experience in it.

You must have either some emotional attachment to that unit or a lot of spare time on your hands. Or both. Not many people would spend time or money on one when you can find similar, fully functional units like it on the local Craigslist for about $10 to $30. There is nothing about it that I could describe as "class leading" or "innovative." Best of luck.

R

rudykri

Audiophyte
Yeah, there is an emotional connection since this is the only thing my father gave me. He bought this unit in Western Germany (back then in Czechoslovakia, or Communistic Eastern Block countries in general was impossible to buy modern hi-tech items and he managed to sneak this Sharp across the border) when I was little kid. Although this is not a class leading unit, for my father it represented something special and rare. He raised a music fan with this turntable and I take restoration as a challenge.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I that case, what you are describing is a poor connection. Probably. Disconnect that cable and use Deoxit cleaner to remove any corrosion, then securely reattach. Make sure it's clicked in securely.

Your first photo is clear enough that to me it doesn't look like the connector is squarely engaged. Do the same thing with other connections. It is corrosion at joining points that is the cause of most problems like you described.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I that case, what you are describing is a poor connection. Probably. Disconnect that cable and use Deoxit cleaner to remove any corrosion, then securely reattach. Make sure it's clicked in securely.

Your first photo is clear enough that to me it doesn't look like the connector is squarely engaged. Do the same thing with other connections. It is corrosion at joining points that is the cause of most problems like you described.
Do all that first. If that does not do the trick, take your ohm meter and test the continuity pin to pin as you wiggle the cable. Do this on the underside of the board, as there could well be a dry solder joint in the cable connector to the board, or even a break in the board.

If it seems to be one strand in the cable, you can always jump it by soldering a wire between the pins that wire in the cable connects. I have repaired units with this problem before. Your issue should be repairable with a little patience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis