goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Have you guys seen the 70" lcd flat panels from Sharp? Instead of the usual red, green and blue, they add a fourth color, yellow. At least on their demos, the results are spectacular: beautiful colors, with great image depth and contrast. $2,595 in the discount stores and worth it.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I have indeed seen the current Sharp 70" LCDs - the LC-732U, 734U and 735U (the 735U being the only 3D-capable one of the bunch).

They are, IMO, the best looking LCDs available right now. They are also the ONLY LCDs that I can recommend because they are the only LCDs with a matte screen! Everything else has a stupid glossy, mirror finish! :mad:

The whole "quattron" yellow pixel thing is silly. Every signal we are watching is based on RGB. The only thing yellow can do is make things LESS accurate. Thankfully, Sharp has done enough tuning and gives enough user controls that you can still get accurate color from these 70" sets, even with the dumb yellow thrown in there. It's something Sharp has to compensate for, so it's stupid. But at least they've compensated well and can still deliver accurate color, so I don't really care :p

I've decided that I need to grab one of the LC-70LE735U units. Sharp has detailed their 2012 plans and, of course, they've buggered things up. There is the new "900" series with local-dimming. Nice upgrade, but the price goes up with it! All of the series below 900 use the awful "edge LED" lighting now. Plus, I don't know if Sharp will return to glossy screens or not :mad:

The LC-70LE735U has full array LED backlighting, which is the only form of LCD backlighting I find acceptable. It isn't local-dimming, but that's ok. There is no "blooming" this way, and the black levels are still plenty deep. Combine that with the matte screen and this really is the best LCD right now!

I hate that Sharp is already moving away from full-array LED backlighting in 2012. It's back to edge LED they go, except for the more expensive "900" series. It's unfortunate. I think it's dumb. But it's all the reason I need to jump on a 735U NOW, cause by all accounts, nothing better is coming in 2012, and this might be my last chance to get the size, backlighting and matte screen that I want for years!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
the 70" 632 doesn't have quattron, but with or without it, the sets will look excellent if properly calibrated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC, the reviews of the Quattrons said the yellow didn't add anything that benefited the color the TVs produced. Quattron has been around for a year already.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I have indeed seen the current Sharp 70" LCDs - the LC-732U, 734U and 735U (the 735U being the only 3D-capable one of the bunch).

They are, IMO, the best looking LCDs available right now. They are also the ONLY LCDs that I can recommend because they are the only LCDs with a matte screen! Everything else has a stupid glossy, mirror finish! :mad:

The whole "quattron" yellow pixel thing is silly. Every signal we are watching is based on RGB. The only thing yellow can do is make things LESS accurate.
I work in printing and you are extremely limited in trying to reproduce PMS colors with standard 4-color (CMYK) printing. Adding other colors to the mix like oranges and purples enable you to expand your color gamut and get closer to those PMS colors than you could without them. I assumed this is what Sharp was doing by adding a 4th color to the mix. Whether or not it actually works is another matter I guess.

S

scottyb

Audioholic Intern
Don't the sharp tvs suffer from the flashlight effect. When you have a blackscreen you see light coming from all corners of the tv. Is there a good 60 inch model? I am planning on returning my samsung pn59d8000 because of the buzzing and blacks changing. I am looking for another tv.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
They do have some 60" models. Not sure about the flashlight effect. You may want to check over on AVSforums as there are lots of people there that own those tv's.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Saw the 70" at costco last night and at a glance it looked like a nice display.

Steve

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis