Setting up Yamaha 663! What now?

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Well it finally came in and I set it up last night. At this point I have left and right fronts, left and right surrounds, and a sub. I need a bigger sub and a center channel. Couple of questions about the 663:

1. Has everyone had good luck using the auto setup for the speaker levels? I found the sub and the surrounds needed to be manually increased.

2. In the store the 663 was super loud at with the volume at 14.5db. It isn't that loud at the house at 14.5db. What could cause this?

3. What the heck setting are movies designed to be viewed in? I would imagine the best results would be to set the receiver to use the surround format that is listed on the back of the dvd such as dolby digital or dts? However that is not a choice on the receiver.

4. Shouldn't the receiver recognize what encoding is on the dvd and automatically run that mode?

I just want to make sure i'm listening to the dvd the way the makers of the movie meant for it to be listened to. I don't want to receiver to process it in it's on way if that makes sense.

Obviously i have a lot to learn. Any help is appreciated!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
2. In the store the 663 was super loud at with the volume at 14.5db. It isn't that loud at the house at 14.5db. What could cause this?[/i]
Different speakers, different room, different level settings for each channel.

3. What the heck setting are movies designed to be viewed in? I would imagine the best results would be to set the receiver to use the surround format that is listed on the back of the dvd such as dolby digital or dts? However that is not a choice on the receiver.

4. Shouldn't the receiver recognize what encoding is on the dvd and automatically run that mode?
The receiver will automatically choose Dolby Digital or DTS decoders if that is what is the dvd player is sending. If you have 7.1 speakers, you can switch to other modes like PLIIx.

audioman00

Audioholic
make sure your AUTO INPUT SELECT option is activated, it's in the manual on ALL yamaha receiver's past like 2003' hope that helps!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Be sure to check your speaker levels with a Radio Shack SPL meter. I always do that right after running YPAO. Then, I start to fine-tune from there. BTW, +14.5 db is extremely loud and really driving the 663 pretty hard. You really need to check that out for sure. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
BTW, +14.5 db is extremely loud and really driving the 663 pretty hard. You really need to check that out for sure.
Yeah that is what I figured too. Should be really loud in my living room. Its loud but not uncomfortably loud. I don't think anything is wrong with it. I just need to fiddle with it some more. Oh and getting a center channel would help alot!

M

Matt85

Enthusiast
Yeah that is what I figured too. Should be really loud in my living room. Its loud but not uncomfortably loud. I don't think anything is wrong with it. I just need to fiddle with it some more. Oh and getting a center channel would help alot!
Are you sure it's not -14.5? Because +14.5 is very close to maximum volume, and you are probably in great risk of damaging your speakers.

When you are watching movies, and the player is decoding the audio (PCM), you will want to select the "surround decode" program on the 663. The 663 will apply the least processing.

When the receiver is processing a bitstream track, you will not be able to change any of the audio programs. It will stick to either Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

NOTE: You will need to adjust the audio options in your player, to switch from PCM (player decode) and Bitstream (receiver decode).

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
yeah +14.5 is pretty much all the way up. You need to adjust your levels and make sure you speakers are set to small. If your sources seem too loud or too quiet, you can also adjust the channel trim to help compensate.

C

chuck10553

Junior Audioholic
i also just got this and i manually setup the scene for the movie because i read in the manuel that the dvd viewing was more for background music so heres what you do... turn on your tv and hold the scene 1 button... then change the audio selection or whatev to decoder or whatever they call it... then it will automatically select whichever one the player or system gives it!... i love this reciever... also as long as we are on the subject i found out that i can have "presence" speakers which i guess are put above the fronts to give better dialogue accuracy or something... is this actually worth it or would it be better to just use those inputs to bi-amp or neither?
thanks and hope this helps

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
When the receiver is processing a bitstream track, you will not be able to change any of the audio programs.
Unless the bitstream is PCM. Then you'll be able to select any of the matrix decoders.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
As many have mentioned, +14.5 db is almost all the way up and will clip the signal. Trust us when we say a clipped signal only results in distortion which in turn can damage your 663 and/or speakers. I agree that a center channel speaker will help. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Cheers,

Phil

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
2. In the store the 663 was super loud at with the volume at 14.5db. It isn't that loud at the house at 14.5db. What could cause this?
You are going to blow your speakers and/or the amp. Get yourself a 5 channel amplifier like the Emotiva LPA-1 or something if you want to run it that loud. The 663 is not a weak receiver by any means, but:

1. Your speakers are 4ohm rated or very demanding.
2. Your room is huge
3. Your hearing is diminished because you shouldn't be running that receiver past +2 in my opinion.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure it's not -14.5? Because +14.5 is very close to maximum volume, and you are probably in great risk of damaging your speakers.

When you are watching movies, and the player is decoding the audio (PCM), you will want to select the "surround decode" program on the 663. The 663 will apply the least processing.

When the receiver is processing a bitstream track, you will not be able to change any of the audio programs. It will stick to either Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

NOTE: You will need to adjust the audio options in your player, to switch from PCM (player decode) and Bitstream (receiver decode).
Yeah it is -14.5. I changed the dvd player to bitstream and that is way better. It rocks at -14.5 now! Still some tweaking to be done but way happier with the receiver doing the decoding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis