Setting up wi-fi or app-based controls for my Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver

P

PSTerrell

Audiophyte
I've had my three-level townhouse wired for data, phone, A/V [coax], and the plan was to have my current, and very nice, Yamaha RX-V2600 A/V receiver control it all across three zones and multiple input sources from all levels.

The trouble is, the receiver is not wi-fi ready and I'd rather prefer to keep the Yamaha and find some way to add something that could allow it to be controlled by iPhone and Android apps. Any suggestions? Thanks.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't have any experience with any of the devices but if you search the web for "wifi ir blaster" you'll find that there are several devices that will do what you want. With some luck someone else may chime in with a specific suggestion, if not happy researching.

P

PSTerrell

Audiophyte
Thanks Grador -- I'll look into these and let you know if any prove to be the solution I'm looking for. Cheers.

3zones

Enthusiast
I believe you will be able to control zones and volume with an app enabled distribution box but controlling the sources with an app for an avr that is pre wifi app doesn't sound possible. I would think an ir set up with a remote control in each room may be the answer. The wifi ability of the newer AVR's takes controllability to a completely different level.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I believe you will be able to control zones and volume with an app enabled distribution box but controlling the sources with an app for an avr that is pre wifi app doesn't sound possible. I would think an ir set up with a remote control in each room may be the answer. The wifi ability of the newer AVR's takes controllability to a completely different level.
What you're saying to do is impossible. CEC, being the only way you'd control the sources WITH a wifi enabled AVR would be a painful experience. With a wifi enabled IR blaster you can control every IR device you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis