Setting up non-powered sub using a extra AV Receiver off the Subwoofer Out on Main Unit

J

joestin2003

Audiophyte
I have a very complex issue that I need some expert advice on. I want to say that up to this point my current system has been running fine, but I am trying to clean it up a bit to prepare for adding a new TV.

Currently I have a computer that has a 3.5 mm headphone jack and I have a 3.5 mm y cable splitting the signal to two separate Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitters that go from 3.5 mm to RCA. One of these goes to my Onkyo TX-SR504 and the other goes to my Sharp SA-R75AV. The Onkyo runs the speakers and the Sharp runs my old Infinity Car Audio Subs in a custom box with the correct watts and Ohms. The Sharp puts out 8 Ohms, and my subs are each wired in Series to create an 8 Ohm load per sub, so I have a right sub and left sub.

When I play the radio, I use both AV Receivers in FM Mode. When I play Pandora off my computer I use both AV Receivers in CD mode. Finally I have a TV hooked up off the headphone jack with another y cable 2 more Belkin Y adapters from 3.5 mm to RCA cables and I use the Receivers in Video/VCR mode.

All that said I have 2 3.5 mm Y cables and 4 3.5 mm to RCA cables just to make it work right now.

I got a new TV and it doesn't have a 3.5 mm output, instead it only has optical out which leads to my problem/issue.

Can I hook up the optical out to my Onkyo Receiver and then use the Sub woofer Pre Out and another RCA Y-cable to send the signal to my Sharp Receiver which will drive the subs? Technically speaking wouldn't this be the exact same as a powered sub? If this works, can I also get rid of all my other cables and run everything strictly to the Onkyo with only the Sub Woofer Pre Out RCA cable to the Sharp for when I play the Radio or CD(computer) Player.

I think this will work, I just can't find any specifications if the signal from the Onkyo to the Sharp will only be 20-200hz or if there is a way to know. Or if the output signal from the Onkyo to the Sharp will be less requiring me to turn up my subs higher than I currently do now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Can I hook up the optical out to my Onkyo Receiver and then use the Sub woofer Pre Out and another RCA Y-cable to send the signal to my Sharp Receiver which will drive the subs? Technically speaking wouldn't this be the exact same as a powered sub?
Welcome to the forum!

You absolutely can use the Sharp receiver as the amplifier for those subs and hook it up that way. I've done it (and it was actually my first thread ever here :)). In fact, as I was reading the beginning of your post, I was getting ready to suggest doing just that.

For the Onkyo, the crossover frequency is adjustable. You set it, so you'll know exactly what the cut off frequency is going to the subs. If you don't have it, you can download the Onkyo manual in PDF format from this link here. Looks like the default is 100Hz, but you can adjust it from 40-200Hz is select intervals. If you have any questions about getting that set up, please just let us know.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would expect this setup to yield better overall performance since you are now crossing the subs over. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis