Setting up my EMP system

A

Actran

Audioholic
Over the last couple months I built my whole 5.1 system from EMP speakers. This wasn't the plan, but they had such great sales and customer service, I ended up buying all my speakers and sub from them. I've been really impressed so far, but I'm ready to get serious about optimizing what I have. I have some specific questions below, but I welcome any tips to make the most of what I have.

How far should the rear-ported center and front towers be from the wall?

I plan to build a cabinet an want to set the center in it behind some acoustically transparent fabric. Is this a bad idea for sound quality(I read that it makes it "boomy")?

The sub is bottom-ported and I'd like to place it in the back of the room for aesthetic reasons. Any issues with that? I may also place a shelf above it for a countertop (not in direct contact).

I'm currently borrowing a friends old receiver. It's a Denon 1912 and I'm finding it very limiting on setup options. I've set the speaker types and distances, but am not sure what to set the crossover to. Any setup suggestions for this receiver and speaker combo? I'm probably a year out from affording a new receiver :(

Thanks for all the valuable threads on the forum already and for any help you can provide here.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Over the last couple months I built my whole 5.1 system from EMP speakers. This wasn't the plan, but they had such great sales and customer service, I ended up buying all my speakers and sub from them. I've been really impressed so far, but I'm ready to get serious about optimizing what I have. I have some specific questions below, but I welcome any tips to make the most of what I have.

How far should the rear-ported center and front towers be from the wall?

I plan to build a cabinet an want to set the center in it behind some acoustically transparent fabric. Is this a bad idea for sound quality(I read that it makes it "boomy")?

The sub is bottom-ported and I'd like to place it in the back of the room for aesthetic reasons. Any issues with that? I may also place a shelf above it for a countertop (not in direct contact).

I'm currently borrowing a friends old receiver. It's a Denon 1912 and I'm finding it very limiting on setup options. I've set the speaker types and distances, but am not sure what to set the crossover to. Any setup suggestions for this receiver and speaker combo? I'm probably a year out from affording a new receiver :(

Thanks for all the valuable threads on the forum already and for any help you can provide here.
Set all speakers to small and cross them over to the sub at 80Hz, others will chime in with other regards as to placement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis