Setting up my 5.1 soundbar system.

Z

ZJones1994

Audiophyte
Hello,
I just purchased the Visio VIZIO S4251w-B4 soundbar set up and it will arrive on monday and was
hoping to get some help on the best way to hook it up for true 5.1 sound. I have a 55' Samsung UN55H6203 Smart tv . I know all the different ways I can connect it I just don't know which is the best way. My entertainment set up is the tv, a comcast hd/dvr box, xbox one and xbox 360. From the TV I have a gaming headset connected to it through the SPDIF connection on the
transmitter for the headset (it's a turtle beach XP510). The transmitter for the headset has SPDIF in and out. I was hoping to use a SPIDIF to connect the transmitter to the soundbar but I wanted to make sure it would be true 5.1 not just upscaled. I also was curious on how to set my tv up to send the audio out as 5.1 instead of standard dual channel.
I'm new to all of this and have done research but I figured it was time to ask for help from people more knowledgeable then myself. Any
support is appreciated thank you.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
After taking a look at the manual for that Samsung it does not clearly state anything about 5.1 or what formats are useable just says this under Audio Format "Selects the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format. The available Digital Audio output (SPDIF) formats may vary depending on the input source." Since not many Samsungs if any even output 5.1 for connected devices I don't really know what to tell you.

Ontop of that is was stated only in the manual "Digital audio is only available with 5.1-channel broadcasts." I assume its talking about the built in Turner only in this case. Guess all you can really do is take a look at the MENU>Sound>Additional Settings>Audio format and see if something like Dolby Digital is listed.

Z

ZJones1994

Audiophyte
On the crutchfield website i just found that it says it only outputs 5.1 from apps tuner or usb. So my plan is to get a 4x2 matrix to have each device have its own spdif connection and then output it to the soundbar. so my setup would be xbox one/360, hd/dvr, and the wii u with an audio extracter hooked up to the matrix then that outputting to the sound bar and surround sound gaming headset. My question with that is will all the devices still output to the tv audio and the spdif if i have the soundbar off?

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
I assume there wouldn't be any issues but I may be wrong as well lets see if anyone else pops in and comments on it

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
On the crutchfield website i just found that it says it only outputs 5.1 from apps tuner or usb. So my plan is to get a 4x2 matrix to have each device have its own spdif connection and then output it to the soundbar. so my setup would be xbox one/360, hd/dvr, and the wii u with an audio extracter hooked up to the matrix then that outputting to the sound bar and surround sound gaming headset. My question with that is will all the devices still output to the tv audio and the spdif if i have the soundbar off?
That is probably your best solution. I have looked at a 4X2 matrix switcher. It claims to support the loss less codecs, like Dolby True HD. However Toslink and coax digital do not have the bandwidth for those loss less formats. They will only carry lossy codecs, like Dolby Digital. However I don't think that will be a deal beaker for you, as you would not tell the difference with that rig.

If you want the HD sound formats, then you need a unit with HDMI connectivity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis