separates vs receivers

A

Addy

Audioholic
whats the advantages of having separates. i mean receivers have soo many features that i can never find on pre-pros and i really dont understand the point to them... so my question would be, whats better a) receiver alone b) a receiver with a amp c) pre-pros with amp? i dont really need the watts i was just wondering what produces the best sound for music/movies and achieves greats features like room eq or is just over all better :confused:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i don't think there's a right or wrong answer here ...

on the left, there's receiver only
in the middle, receiver with amp
on the right, there's pre-pro amp

the advantages of the "left" is all-in-one convenience, price, features
the advantages of the "right" is that you can upgrade the pre-pro only and save the amp, there's normally more power in a separate amp than a receiver, some people say the separates sound better, brand name recognition, they say the separates are built "better" because they are not mass produced.

me, I'm in the middle, I like the new features, but I also like more power ... so I went with a receiver and amp combo.

A

Addy

Audioholic
does adding a amp make the system sound better or help the receiver cause i was considering buying a denon avr-3808ci with an emotiva amp... every time i come to a conclusion of what i want i second guess my self... im still not even too sure on what reviver i want if i even want one lol

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Mikec summed it up nicely.

Receivers will always trump separate pre-pro and amp when it comes to features and support for the latest, greatest codecs. If you have a very large room or difficult to drive speakers (low nominal impedance or large swings in impedance) then a separate amp is better suited for that than a receiver.

The best of both worlds, so to speak, is to get a receiver with pre-outs so you can add an external amp if necessary. That way you get all the bells and whistles but still retain the ability to add more robust amplification if your situation calls for it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the 3808 by itself already has a decent amp section. needing an amp would depend on what your speakers' sensitivity, ohm rating and the room size, listening habits ...

IF the receiver is having a hard time running the speakers, adding amps CAN make the setup sound better, but if the receiver can power the speakers easily, there won't be a sound quality increase. (i had to say that, the "others" are watching :D)

people like me just want the "headroom" ready and waiting IF it's even necessary.

there are other benefits though, for me, there's:
-headroom, I am no longer afraid to crank the volume
-stability in handling low ohm/sensitivity speakers
-nice looking, a receiver by itself just doesn't give the look of "I mean business"

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Hi Addy. Yes adding a separate amp makes a big difference. It is the single best improvement I have made to my system. I also have a Denon receiver. I was thinking of getting some Polk LSI's but was firmly told that my Denon couldn't handle them & that I should add a separate amp to power the speakers.

So I got a 2 channel Parasound HCA 1500A. Well I started hearing details out of old cd's that I thought I knew inside & out! There was better separation of instruments, better bass, clearer articulation of the lyrics. I then got an Outlaw monoblock for my center. And finally last year I got the Sunfire that is in my signature so that all of my speakers are amped.

Separate amplification has given new life to my 17 yr old Polk RTA-8T's. And I have yet to get new speakers. But one thing I know for sure, is that I will always have separate amplification!

louthewiz

louthewiz

Audioholic Intern
I have the B selection since my yammay 5790 is no slouch i do have power hungry polk audio speakers and the separate amps make a killer combo.

A

Addy

Audioholic
yeh i was thinking of just adding a amp for 50% of the shear ''i mean business'' aspect lol and they look awesome with the receiver, but cfrizz has a good point that i was considering also... great sooo now i have to spend more and more and more but whats money if you cant spend it?:)

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
But if you spend it the right way, it is a purchase that you won't have to think about again for years if ever. The beauty of separate amplification is that it can stay put while you change everything else out in your system. But your amplifier will ensure that any speakers you get will have plenty of power to run on!:)

If I had known 2 yrs ago what a big difference an amp would make, I would have gotten a 200wpc 5 channel amp from the get go & been done with it.

If my Sunfire breaks down that is precisely what I will do!:D

yeh i was thinking of just adding a amp for 50% of the shear ''i mean business'' aspect lol and they look awesome with the receiver, but cfrizz has a good point that i was considering also... great sooo now i have to spend more and more and more but whats money if you cant spend it?:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
what speakers are you driving? Its impedance and sensitivity?
Your room size and listening distance?

A

Addy

Audioholic
lol um ahhh umm bose:eek:....acoustimass 16... smaller room 16x14 lol i bought them a few months be for knowing this site lol im only 18 and still getting the hang of this, i have a extra sub too and upgrading too a 7.1 sooner or later well its going be 7.3

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis