(semi) vintage 2 channel amplifiers

satori

satori

Audiophyte
Hello,

1st post, long time lurker.

I'm looking for some general advice on used 2 channel amplifiers that might be available in the $200-$700 range. There are a lot of NAD, Adcom, Carver, ..etc amps out there for sale. I'm looking for some advice on which to avoid and which may be worth targeting.

For example: "Stay away from insert brand amps from the early 90's" or "stay away from model #s xxxx - xxxx" or "insert brand amps in this model range are really solid"

I'm hoping to get up to the 200w p/ch range. If my price range won't allow a decent used amp in that range, I may just consider trying a new Emotiva XPA-200 (150w p/ch)

Thanks!

jinjuku

jinjuku

There is plenty of quality amplification that is new for for that range.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, new Emo is an option.

Also, go check out Audio Advisor for some clearance/demo gear.

For used gear, the price to performance and availability of Parasound is tough to beat. I bought a used Parasound 1206 off of Ebay for about $450 delivered and have been very happy with it.

Personally, I'm leery of NAD, which is a shame because I like the product, I'm just scared of the reliability.

P

Phules

Enthusiast
Ive been using an Onkyo M504 for the past year that I bought used. No problems yet, and it looks nice with the big meters. I think its 165w per channel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis